Thread: NV Lawmakers Introduce Bill Allowing Police to Sue People Over Injuries

Site Supporter

NV Lawmakers Introduce Bill Allowing Police to Sue People Over Injuries

Has this ever been done before, and if so, was it successful?

https://www.policemag.com/593712/nv-...-over-injuries
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Has this ever been done before, and if so, was it successful?

https://www.policemag.com/593712/nv-...-over-injuries
    I didn't know anyone couldn't. We can, and can even seek restitution for ripped uniforms and the like. The issue is, of course, collecting. Blood from a turnip and all that and since most folks who fights us don't have two (legal) nickels to rub together getting an attorney interested and getting a judgement paid are sort of unicorn-ish.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I seem to recall Calibre Press publishing an article that discusses that issue. The officer from "Surviving Edged Weapons" who had his face fileted and asserted he would "not die in no ghetto" sued the offender. Some years later, the bad guy actually had a steady job and had a lien placed on his wages to pay the judgement. The cop wasn't getting rich off the lien, but a monthly check is a monthly check.

Site Supporter
    I have never been injured badly enough to need more than a couple of hours of urgent care, and that was from putting a nail through my foot on a foot chase. I caught the guy, but was a rookie and didn't think of it at the time. I definately would sue if I was held overnight for observation, and almost all my gear is personally owned/department approved so its loss would financially effect me, at least in the short term.

Side note.

My old municipality had a False Report ordinence that was a little more loosely worded than the state statute. When a supervisor or IA concluded that that the complaintant lied while filing a complaint the invstigator would frequently file a criminal complaint on the citizen. I have tried doing it at my current agency and the false report must be about criminal activity, so the narrower definition makes it used a little less frequiently. If I were a supervisor and could prove the elements of State Statute False Report I would definately give the option to the employee to have me file the charges or not at the conclusion of the investigation.

We recently filled complaints with a local hospital after an ER Charge nurse filed a complaint that was almost entirely fabricated. Prior experience with that particular facility ensured that all officers were running audio recordings, and nearly every claim by the nurse was immediately and categorically refuted. Two weeks later that Charge Nurse was looking for work.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I didn't know anyone couldn't. We can, and can even seek restitution for ripped uniforms and the like. The issue is, of course, collecting. Blood from a turnip and all that and since most folks who fights us don't have two (legal) nickels to rub together getting an attorney interested and getting a judgement paid are sort of unicorn-ish.

Thanks for the info, BBI. I guess I was thinking of an LEO's litigation mimicking that of a "victim" of police malfeasance. As in headline grabbing, multimillion dollar stuff. Of course, there's always the possibility of me 'shooting from the lip' again, without thinking something through. Apparently I do this often, according to everyone that knows me.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I seem to recall Calibre Press publishing an article that discusses that issue. The officer from "Surviving Edged Weapons" who had his face fileted and asserted he would "not die in no ghetto" sued the offender. Some years later, the bad guy actually had a steady job and had a lien placed on his wages to pay the judgement. The cop wasn't getting rich off the lien, but a monthly check is a monthly check.
    Don't forget post-judgment interest, which, depending on the state, can rack it up.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Would that include organizations that put together a demonstration that goes bad and the participants injure an officer? They might have resources. The officers of the organization might have personal resources. IIRC, some nasty organizations were shut down by such suits for harm produced under their aegis.

User Tag List