Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Duty Holsters - positioning, angle, heights, retention

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Any thoughts on this? Reminiscent of the Ben Stoeger BOSS but oriented towards tactical use. Looks like an array of mounting/canting options.

True North Modular Holster Adapter

I tried the Black box mount. I didn't care for it, the rearward cant was too much for me. However, I've been running the BOSS hanger on my comp belt for years. I;m very interested in that True North hanger.

I bought a Foxtrot Kilo Company Modified UBL a couple weeks ago and added it to my range/war belt. I initially had it mounted with the QLS but it was just too far off my body than Im used too. I removed the QLS and it feels right now. Going to the range in a coup,e weeks for quals and will give it a run but dry fire practice it feels good.

Essentially he removes the UBL loops and mounts on a Tek-Lok belt adapter With the neutral can’t.

https://foxtrotkiloco.com/products/modified-ubl

Site Supporter
    Ok- so I purchased the Black Box Custom plate early on due to this thread. I mounted it up, tried it a few times and said “nope- don’t like it.” So it went in my parts bin for a couple months. Since then I started working with about a 10 degree muzzle forward cant on my USPSA rig. I’m using a Ben Stoeger BOSS hanger with Safariland QLS and a GLS holster (Glock 45). I started to realize I was faster and more consistent with the muzzle forward. Surrender draws to 7 yard A zone in the .9 and hands below belt in the .6 range. I was fumbling much fewer draws as well.

So fast forward a month and a half, and I got to thinking about the Black Box mount again. I originally tried it on a mid ride UBL and a very high mounted single strap Safariland thigh plate. That just didn’t work. I then found a high ride belt loop off an old duty belt (6072UBL Hi-Ride). Now I can setup the Black Box with ALS holster on my duty rig almost exactly like my Comp rig. With the QLS plate and fork, I can get close to 10 degrees muzzle forward (I think the Black Box is 15?). My draw times are within .1 of my Comp setup draws (ALS vs GLS holster).

As a side benefit, I went with the TQ mount version, and have my CAT secured right in front of my holster. It’s a perfect spot to access with both hands, and not have to add another pouch to my belt or vest. At first I thought I might snag the CAT on the draw, but that hasn’t been the case. I’ve yet to hit it with the pistol. I did have to shim the Black Box mount with a couple extra washers because the provided hardware bottomed out on the T nut before it was tight. One final benefit of the High UBL is that it doesn’t dig into my thigh like the BOSS hanger or a mid rid UBL does.

@msstate56 Can you post a picture of your duty rig? I'm having a tough time picturing one of these adapters on a high-ride shank, but it sounds like something worthwhile to look into.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Name:  2E7F6934-0FCD-4C12-B824-A6227093523B.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  205C88CE-48A2-4917-846A-ACF8ED8FEFCD.jpg
Views: 2984
Size:  50.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2122
Size:  45.9 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  54.5 KB

Product update from the designer was released today. Haven't seen one.

Negative Cant Plate version 2 (NCP2) – Holster Plate [available on the website]
    Dissatisfaction with the unergonomic factory forward cant of the Safariland duty holsters led to the methodical evaluation of the optimal fore-aft positioning (cant) of the holster in relation to the belt attachment.
    The second-generation Negative Cant Plate (NCP2) builds on the original products and offers the following features:
    Increased range of adjustment. Offers 25° of continuous negative adjustment from the factory 10°, rearward to around -15°. Reduce the OEM angle, stop at 0° or put the time in to find your ideal configuration.
    Not reliant on a QLS fork setup. Can be mounted directly to the Universal Belt Loop if needed.
    Ambidextrous.
    Two-piece design when used in conjunction with optional Accessory Mount.
    Machined from aluminum 6061.
    Weighs 50g / 1.7oz.
    Adds 7.62mm / 0.3” depth to holster assembly.
    Raises holster ride height by 10mm / 0.395”.
    Compatible with all known Safariland three hole pattern holsters.
    Coated in Cerakote.
    Supplied with all required custom hardware.
    When paired with the optional NCP2 Accessory Mount or a Holster Accessory Mount (HAM), the NCP2 adds a low profile mounting platform on the front of the holster body with hole pattern compatible with a wide range of tourniquet pouches and other accessories.
    The installation video found here offers further explanation of the functioning of the NCP2.
    Negative Cant Plate version 2 (NCP2) – Accessory Mount
    Note: this Accessory Mount is an optional add on that pairs with the NCP2 Holster Plate. For an option that does not rely on the NCP2 Holster Plate, please see the separate Holster Accessory Mount.
    Allows for the addition of a tourniquet or other accessory to be mounted on the front face of your holster body, a location easily accessible with both hands.
    Mounting surface works in conjunction with Bladetech hole patterned accessories, Safariland ELS, Magpul MLOK, or MOLLE.
    Two-piece system in conjunction with the NCP2 Holster Plate.
    Pivots and telescopes before being secured in place, leaving no gap between the front of the holster and your tourniquet.
    Ambidextrous.
    316 stainless steel.
    Coated in Cerakote.
    This Accessory Mount is designed and priced as a semi sacrificial piece, intentionally weaker than the NCP2 Holster Plate so that excessive external forces are not transferred to the holster attachment. Over time the Accessory Mount may need to be replaced but the Holster Plate will not.
    Should you wish to utilise an attachment that will not exhibit this breakaway characteristic, the Holster Accessory Mount (HAM) will work with the NCP2 Holster plate or in a standalone capacity.

Name:  134039430_2151403501657815_7499027669462419840_o.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  31.6 KBName:  134962597_2151403608324471_7764565726227318189_o.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  22.1 KBName:  135210996_2847935835475785_5118565429839692647_o.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  53.1 KB

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Product update from the designer was released today. Haven't seen one.

Negative Cant Plate version 2 (NCP2) – Holster Plate [available on the website]
    Dissatisfaction with the unergonomic factory forward cant of the Safariland duty holsters led to the methodical evaluation of the optimal fore-aft positioning (cant) of the holster in relation to the belt attachment.
    The second-generation Negative Cant Plate (NCP2) builds on the original products and offers the following features:
    Increased range of adjustment. Offers 25° of continuous negative adjustment from the factory 10°, rearward to around -15°. Reduce the OEM angle, stop at 0° or put the time in to find your ideal configuration.
    Not reliant on a QLS fork setup. Can be mounted directly to the Universal Belt Loop if needed.
    Ambidextrous.
    Two-piece design when used in conjunction with optional Accessory Mount.
    Machined from aluminum 6061.
    Weighs 50g / 1.7oz.
    Adds 7.62mm / 0.3” depth to holster assembly.
    Raises holster ride height by 10mm / 0.395”.
    Compatible with all known Safariland three hole pattern holsters.
    Coated in Cerakote.
    When paired with the optional NCP2 Accessory Mount or a Holster Accessory Mount (HAM), the NCP2 adds a low profile mounting platform on the front of the holster body with hole pattern compatible with a wide range of tourniquet pouches and other accessories.
    The installation video found here offers further explanation of the functioning of the NCP2.
    Negative Cant Plate version 2 (NCP2) – Accessory Mount
    Note: this Accessory Mount is an optional add on that pairs with the NCP2 Holster Plate. For an option that does not rely on the NCP2 Holster Plate, please see the separate Holster Accessory Mount.
    Allows for the addition of a tourniquet or other accessory to be mounted on the front face of your holster body, a location easily accessible with both hands.
    Mounting surface works in conjunction with Bladetech hole patterned accessories, Safariland ELS, Magpul MLOK, or MOLLE.
    Two-piece system in conjunction with the NCP2 Holster Plate.
    Pivots and telescopes before being secured in place, leaving no gap between the front of the holster and your tourniquet.
    Ambidextrous.
    316 stainless steel.
    Coated in Cerakote.
    This Accessory Mount is designed and priced as a semi sacrificial piece, intentionally weaker than the NCP2 Holster Plate so that excessive external forces are not transferred to the holster attachment. Over time the Accessory Mount may need to be replaced but the Holster Plate will not.
    Should you wish to utilise an attachment that will not exhibit this breakaway characteristic, the Holster Accessory Mount (HAM) will work with the NCP2 Holster plate or in a standalone capacity.

Name:  134039430_2151403501657815_7499027669462419840_o.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  31.6 KBName:  134962597_2151403608324471_7764565726227318189_o.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  22.1 KBName:  135210996_2847935835475785_5118565429839692647_o.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  53.1 KB
    I gotta say, the guy is pretty innovative with these things. My needs are currently met with the factory CUBL, but I see the attraction here. My concern is Safarilands warranty. It seems unlikely they'd support using these devices with their holsters. I've tried to get an answer on this from our factory rep....but they've gone radio silent since I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    My concern is Safarilands warranty. It seems unlikely they'd support using these devices with their holsters. I've tried to get an answer on this from our factory rep....but they've gone radio silent since I asked.
    Spit ballin' ... it doesn't modify anything other than the connection between the holster itself - which is un-modified - and the belt loop - also un-modified. IF the holster were stripped off of the UBL they would have an argument that "you" changed it.

Unfortunately, Safariland's re-design of their holsters so that they don't accept the SF and Streamlight remote switches has forced end-users to modify the holster itself a significant amount to accommodate those switches.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Spit ballin' ... it doesn't modify anything other than the connection between the holster itself - which is un-modified - and the belt loop - also un-modified. IF the holster were stripped off of the UBL they would have an argument that "you" changed it.

Unfortunately, Safariland's re-design of their holsters so that they don't accept the SF and Streamlight remote switches has forced end-users to modify the holster itself a significant amount to accommodate those switches.
    I agree they don't modify the holster per se, just "modify" the interface between the holster and the belt mount. Since the OIS incident in SoCal involving an officer losing his whole holster to a suspect, due to the G Code ROTI adapter he was using for his ALS holster failing, I think they're a bit cautious with this stuff. Which may be why I can't get an.answer one way or another from them. They don't want to say 'yes', but they also don't want to pour cold water on the many people using a useful accessory either. Its complicated for us, because our policy says "no modifications of duty firearms or equipment without the Rangemasters approval". But then some District Captain can say he doesn't like it, and over rule the Rangemaster also. Having the factory give its blessing would make life easier.

I still think the CUBL is a better solution to this for a number of reasons. We have a ton of young guys mounting the QLS fork to their holsters, because they see rhe SWAT guys have them. Totally lost on them is the reason. Its just cool guy gear. I have one on a training/teaching belt, because I go back and forth between two pistol platforms, and test out various holsters they send us. My duty belt has a plain CUBL....no reason for the QLS. I do think its the easy answer to provide a bit of standoff, especially if the officer is wearing an external vest carrier....but even there I prefer the QLS-L locking version. Most cops have no need for the quick on-off feature.

User Tag List