Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Why P320 is so popular outside of pistol-forum

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    That is simply not so. There are plenty of restrictions of what can be done to USPSA Production and Carry Optics pistols. Comments in forums/facebook/social media to the contrary does not make it so, regardless of who made the comment.

The rest of your comments I agree with and was already aware. I was wondering if there were some brand new changes in IPSC rules. I'm not sure how I feel about the need for Production Optics Light (in IPSC). Personally I don't think lighter pistols (30 oz range) are any disadvantage. But I don't know much.
    In context, but I should have been clearer, I was talking about the trigger. A lot of restrictions have been removed over the years, including you can now replace the physical trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    I hear a lot of people saying this, but that doesn't work for everybody. An arrest/criminal prosecution can jeopardize professional licensure, ability to remain employed, financial security, and time to spend with your family whether you agree with the law or not.
    I've often thought about what I would do, in terms of practical handguns, if I didn't have a 10-round capacity. Multiple attackers are a Thing, I guess, but really--what exactly would shots 11 or 12 through 17 or 18 really do in a single-attacker scenario? Would I be better off..."front-loading" the available firepower with a larger cartridge than the 9mm, at the expense of capacity? BUT isn't the performance gap between 9mm and .45 ACP narrower than ever, to the point of being nonexistent? How much faster and more accurate am I with the 9 than I would be with a concealable .45?

And even if I did face multiple attackers, am I really going to have time to empty a 17-round magazine? Sure, more is always better, but is more really better in relation to the costs?

Too many questions, not enough answers, so--fuck it. 10 rounds of 9 oughta do in just about any situation I could reasonably survive. Of course, I don't roll with any dependents, so I'm free to jet if I find myself in a statistical outlier. Your situation may be different. But I'd still suggest that the 365 will offer you plenty of capacity. I wouldn't even say that such a thing as "enough" exists, but...yeah, that.

That said, I still strenuously object to magazine restrictions on the grounds that they are a Gun Law, and are thus pointless and stupid.
    Last edited by Wise_A; 02-12-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    In context, but I should have been clearer, I was talking about the trigger. A lot of restrictions have been removed over the years, including you can now replace the physical trigger.
    There is also more freedom in frame mods — the joke was that Dremel had become the official sponsor of Production and Carry Optics.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    Yeah it's a risk, but if people keep complying and allowing this stuff to happen, it will just continue and continue to get worse. Up to the individual though, everybody's circumstances are different.
    That’s why we vote and encourage others to vote. Things in VA are getting interesting and I’m interested to see how things get handled. It will undoubtedly set the tone for other states.

As much as I’d love to peacefully not comply, I also have a family to think about. Not complying works until I get popped at the most in-opportune for something like having a 15 round magazine and then I’m a felon and have all of the rest of my arms taken away from me. Or I could have a lower capacity magazine/gun for most situations and hold on to my “contraband” for a more appropriate time to use them if they remain legally contraband.

Anti-gun legislation is complete and utter bullshit that I find completely unacceptable, however, we must be smart about this as it happens. If we can fix it by voting then I prefer that to more violent means. In the meantime, I’ll comply within reason to satisfy not being a felon while still remaining armed in some capacity. I’m not a red flag to the state and I can still serve and protect my family until such a time I either don’t have to worry about it or more drastic measures need to be taken.

That’s me and my decision. You are free to handle your situation as you please and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Their Achilles heel seems to be a reliance on sub-contracted MIM parts and an inability to get quality control for those bits in hand. (Which might be a contributor to their firing-when-dropped problems)
    My recollection is that the issues were with the design itself, not manufacturing issues. There weren't any broken or out of spec parts when guns were disassembled and inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by learnerpermitted View Post
    Accuracy with the P320 was very easy for me and I think its mainly the trigger. The trigger is pretty much a single action trigger travel disguised as a double action only.
    This is the problem I have with it. Not going to carry a SAO gun without an external safety. I know there's the version that has a safety, but it's small and in a weird location. I haven't really messed with it too much, but it seems unlikely to work as naturally as a 1911 or USP safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Only somewhat related question, but what did John Hearne carry for duty pistol before he earned a turbo pin from Gabe White with an X-Five?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    And regarding carry weight, I trucked around a 5" all stainless steel 45 for more years than I can count and all weight was forgiven once the gun came out of the holster and the shooting started.
    My recollection from previous discussion is that that was one or more P220s, not 1911s, right? Just because the way you said it will make most people jump to the latter conclusion.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

One day I might get a P320... but since my Glocks, SIG 229, Kimber 1911, etc.. all run fine I see no reason to get one.

Plus I'll let the others R&D it for me to see if it works over the long haul.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My recollection is that the issues were with the design itself, not manufacturing issues. There weren't any broken or out of spec parts when guns were disassembled and inspected.

This is the problem I have with it. Not going to carry a SAO gun without an external safety. I know there's the version that has a safety, but it's small and in a weird location. I haven't really messed with it too much, but it seems unlikely to work as naturally as a 1911 or USP safety.

My recollection from previous discussion is that that was one or more P220s, not 1911s, right? Just because the way you said it will make most people jump to the latter conclusion.

I feel just like you about SAO sans safety.

Do you use Glocks?

I feel comfortable enough with a Glock, NY-1 trigger, and SCD. Prefer a hammer and long smooth trigger more, but can live with that setup.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Focusing on USPc at the moment.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

I’ve handled but not shot the manual safety P320 and did my best to commune with the safety. I found it exceptionally well executed. I’ve thought more than once about it’s value on a duty gun and if I ever heed the siren’s call of AIWB, I’d carry the manual safety P320.

Regarding duty guns, I drug my feet transitioning from my revolver. From ‘98 to ‘02, I carried a standard P220. At the end of ‘02 I bought my first P220ST (the one with the propriety rail). Around ‘04(?) I went to a P220ST with standard rail. Around ‘06ish I picked up a P220ST Elite and a 5” slide assembly with fixed night sights. I carried that combo until the end of ‘18. I moved the on the X-Five as the P220 had broken another locking insert, I didn’t want to buy another, my agency made it clear we were moving to the P320, and I got a sweetheart deal that on a lightly used X-Five. So, all of the steel 45’s I carried were some iteration of the P220.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Sig is unbelievably schizophrenic with their approach to handgun lines!

I have been interested in Sig's modular frame swap system since the 250. I'd love to be able to try different grip customizations without sacrificing a gun to every project. Since they won the big contracts, I check in from time to time, hoping they will have stabilized into something resembling a coherent model lineup.

What I really want is an optic-ready G19 analog that can be fit with a small-size grip module for short trigger reach. RMR cut or adapter plate is also a feature I'd like to have.

This is what I find during my yearly visit to Sig's website:

*The subcompact models seem to have been completely discontinued
    *There is a P320 "Nitron" Compact with 3.9" barrel and no optic cut
    *There is a P320 "RXP " Compact with 3.9" barrel, direct milled optic cut, and mandatory attached Sig red dot that I don't want
    *There is a P320 "X-Compact" with 3.6" barrel, rear night sight-plate assembly, also direct cut for optics I don't want
    *The X-Compact series don't have a small grip module available
    *Thankfully they have white frames available now because reasons

I don't know why the .3" difference in barrel length was necessary? Did they specifically not want all the slide assemblies to swap between the regular and X-series grip frames? Or can you actually put a 3.9" compact slide onto a 3.6" X-compact grip module?

One of these years, Sig will start making the P320 that I want, and I'll be happy to buy one. Then they'll probably discontinue it and release a P320-X-RXP-Legionaire-Compact-4.17" in Pink Cammo with a Burris Fastfire slide cut.

User Tag List