Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Why P320 is so popular outside of pistol-forum

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Is that like a quick disconnect? That'd be awesome. Get your gun muddy or snowy and just pop it off? Kind of like the snowmobile helmet visors?
    I think it’s just the two different hoods shown in comparison.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

@GJM posted this link in the romeo2 thread. Looks to screw in from the side.

https://www.recoilweb.com/sigs-romeo...ds-157068.html
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I think it’s just the two different hoods shown in comparison.
    Ah, damn it. That's still one of my hangups for an RDS in an exposed duty holster.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Love the hood idea (I could see a company cludging together a snap-on hood for the RMR)... hate, hate, hate the built in BUIS.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Love the hood idea (I could see a company cludging together a snap-on hood for the RMR)... hate, hate, hate the built in BUIS.
    The incorporated BUIS has two advantages: (a) to date, nearly all of Sig's optics ready pistols have incorporated the rear sight into the RDS mounting plate, and (b) the built in BUIS mates up with a standard factory front sight. I think (a) shows lazy, incredibly short sighted design on the part of Sig, but I like the idea of being able to run standard height front sights (just hate having a uber tall front sight from an aesthetic perspective).

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    The incorporated BUIS has two advantages: (a) to date, nearly all of Sig's optics ready pistols have incorporated the rear sight into the RDS mounting plate, and (b) the built in BUIS mates up with a standard factory front sight. I think (a) shows lazy, incredibly short sighted design on the part of Sig, but I like the idea of being able to run standard height front sights (just hate having a uber tall front sight from an aesthetic perspective).
    Those are not good reasons from my perspective...
    - there is no ability to adjust windage
    - you're stuck with whatever rear sight picture they decided on... You prefer 1, 2 or 0 dots, Trit or Plain? Too bad.
    - if you remove the RDS you lose the rear iron.
    But my perspective is only opinion... I don't like it so I just won't buy it. Easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So is that the gun I would recognize as a P220 SSE?

And refresh me on what the slide assembly came from? All the .45 Auto fixed-sight long slides I see are internal extractors, and my understanding is those are rabies/herpes/AIDS and can't be made to run.

A search for fixed-sight long slides with external extractors brings up a lot of 10mm.

A search for long slides with external extractors in .45 Auto brings up a lot of adjustable sights.

Thanks.
    Sig made a very small number of 5" slides with fixed sights. I've seen the number as 50 or 75. These slides did have the external extractor which can be problematic.

The initial internal extractors ran great. My skinny rail P220ST has never bobbled. I was told that Sig struggled to properly heat treat the extractors and ran into problems later in production. My first 5" P200 ran good for thousands of rounds before it had problems. I eventually beta tested the Gray Guns extractor fix and I can report if does work. On another internal extractor, it died at around 750 rounds. The replacement extractor died at, guess what, 750 rounds.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Those are not good reasons from my perspective...
    - there is no ability to adjust windage
    - you're stuck with whatever rear sight picture they decided on... You prefer 1, 2 or 0 dots, Trit or Plain? Too bad.
    - if you remove the RDS you lose the rear iron.
    But my perspective is only opinion... I don't like it so I just won't buy it. Easy enough.

Windage is adjustable via the dovetail front just like with the plate mounted fixed rear of the M17/18.

Just like on a carbine the RDS is your primary sighting system. The Irons are back ups, only for use if the dot goes down. The future is now.

The advantage of the RDS is it is a single focal plane sighting system. Using Irons in conjunction with the RDS is making a three focal plane system and making it into a four focal plane system. It is a literal step backwards.

Tritium and/or painted dots draw the eye, as intended, but in so doing, they detract from the use pf the primary sighting system. See above.

In SIG's M17/18 modular system as also used on the X5, if you remove the RDS you are replacing it with either an adjustable rear iron or a cover plate with a fixed rear iron. It's part of that whole modular handgun thing...

On my P320 RX Compact slide, the Romeo1 is mounted in front of the suppressor-height drift adjustable rear sight; the cut for the Romeo1 is immediately in front of the rear sight; the sight is integrally mounted on/in the slide, not on a removable plate.

However, using the SIG steel RDS protective shroud does somewhat interfere with the sight picture, but it's still usable.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Just like on a carbine the RDS is your primary sighting system. The Irons are back ups, only for use if the dot goes down. The future is now.

The advantage of the RDS is it is a single focal plane sighting system. Using Irons in conjunction with the RDS is making a three focal plane system and making it into a four focal plane system. It is a literal step backwards.

Tritium and/or painted dots draw the eye, as intended, but in so doing, they detract from the use pf the primary sighting system. See above..
    Yep. Treating an RDS as an adjunct to irons instead of treating it as primary and independent of irons explains why it seems so many have trouble accepting or quickly getting proficient with pistol mounted RDS.

User Tag List