Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Gladiators Selling Poorly - Now with Big Dealer Incentives

You couldn't give me a Jeep. I have no idea how they sell the amount they do.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I hate Jeeps.

Here in Denver about 20% of the cars on the road it seems are some lifted jeep with at least one lightbar. Their aftermarket offroad bumpers with winches are ALWAYS immaculate. Here is one of my favorite examples - please note the light bar on the hood. A great use of $60k no doubt. The "angry face" aftermarket fascia is just icing on the cake.

These same drivers also for some reason think having a big beefy truck is automatically a useful asset for snow driving (without snow tires of course), and end up stranded on the side of the road. My little Mazda (white, behind Jeep above) trucks along just fine.

I can't say I understand the folks who finance a diesel F250 Brokeback Mountain trim and daily drive that to and from their IT job either, but at least the pickup bed is useful. Jeeps don't even have that going for them. They are poorly made brodozers that sell purely because of their macho appeal (beater offroad projects not included) and I can't for the life of me understand it.

My girlfriend owns a Tacoma which is more than enough truck for us. If/when I buy a 4x4 it will be a Toyota/Lexus w/o a doubt.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    There is/was a brand new diesel crew cab short bed in cali for $21k after incentives.
    I'm not ashamed to admit, I started doing the math on how much ramen I'd need to eat to be able to save enough to fliy out, buy it, and drive it back.
    I saw that truck pop up in my Google feed. I noted there were some CA-specific rebates for the diesel but didn't know if you had to be a CA resident *shudder* to qualify.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I was all hot for one of these until I came to my senses - I’m not willing to subject myself to Jeep pricing and reliability. Maybe in a few model years...

But, it might be a good NH vehicle. I suspect my CRV is just as good in snow, though - and I don’t off-road.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    My little Mazda (white, behind Jeep above) trucks along just fine.
    I don't think people appreciate how well a modern car, with traction control and ABS, does in snow until it gets deep enough for the front end to start plowing. My 2 non-4x4s (Ford Focus and Honda Odyssey) both truck right along. My '97 4Runner, with its more primitive drivetrain and no locking diff, does great in deep snow, but isn't any better in shallower stuff. I mainly drive it in snow to deal with snowplow-created obstacles having damaged the bumper on the Focus years ago after not realizing how tall an ice-berm was.

Also, regarding the factory new costs for these Jeeps, 60k will build one helluva offroad machine even if you have to buy the donor vehicle with that 60k.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I hate Jeeps.

Here in Denver about 20% of the cars on the road it seems are some lifted jeep with at least one lightbar. Their aftermarket offroad bumpers with winches are ALWAYS immaculate. Here is one of my favorite examples - please note the light bar on the hood. A great use of $60k no doubt. The "angry face" aftermarket fascia is just icing on the cake.

These same drivers also for some reason think having a big beefy truck is automatically a useful asset for snow driving (without snow tires of course), and end up stranded on the side of the road. My little Mazda (white, behind Jeep above) trucks along just fine.

I can't say I understand the folks who finance a diesel F250 Brokeback Mountain trim and daily drive that to and from their IT job either, but at least the pickup bed is useful. Jeeps don't even have that going for them. They are poorly made brodozers that sell purely because of their macho appeal (beater offroad projects not included) and I can't for the life of me understand it.

My girlfriend owns a Tacoma which is more than enough truck for us. If/when I buy a 4x4 it will be a Toyota/Lexus w/o a doubt.
    Mall crawlers are everywhere.

A case of rainbow flag stickers could be a lot of fun....
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

They're going to have a hard time selling those. That's the most butt ugly abomination I've seen in a long time. Jeep must be doing the General Motors MSRP thing, put an MSRP sticker on it 20% over what a dealer can actually sell them for. I don't know about anyone else but I'm only going to play that game for about 30 minutes when I want a new vehicle. Put a decent MSRP on it to begin with and you might get a few sales. I walked on a Chevy dealer last summer because of those inflated MSRP stickers. Bought a Toyota.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My ‘96 4Runner was awesome would buy another.
    I see a lot of new 4Runners around here. I bought one because of the price when they discounted the remaining 2019's. I miss my pickup tho.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I've owned several 80's and 90's vintage Wranglers. All manual transmissions. I've only ever purchased one automatic transmission car for myself, the one I'm driving today.

Back in around 2009 or so I was looking for a new car and test drove the 4-door Wrangler, hoping it would be a better ride than my old 2-doors were. I bought a Mazda3. Not only were the ergos relatively the same in the 4-door, but the manual transmission was a total PITA to drive. Something about the feel of it, the very low gearing in 1st. I drove the auto version also and would have bought that if I had decided to buy the 4-door.

A few years later I spent a week driving my SiL's new-ish 4-door Wrangler around VA and NC (OBX!). Absolutely hated that thing on the hilly highways of VA. Cruise was constantly downshifting on relatively small hills, just to maintain highway speed. Awful gas mileage. Too bad.

I've got my fingers crossed for the revamped Bronco, but I'm not holding my breath.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I don't think people appreciate how well a modern car, with traction control and ABS, does in snow until it gets deep enough for the front end to start plowing. My 2 non-4x4s (Ford Focus and Honda Odyssey) both truck right along. My '97 4Runner, with its more primitive drivetrain and no locking diff, does great in deep snow, but isn't any better in shallower stuff. I mainly drive it in snow to deal with snowplow-created obstacles having damaged the bumper on the Focus years ago after not realizing how tall an ice-berm was.

Also, regarding the factory new costs for these Jeeps, 60k will build one helluva offroad machine even if you have to buy the donor vehicle with that 60k.

Chris
    Absolutely. If anything, part time AWD is a little better than 4x4 for the average metro area commuter. Not only do you save on gas/have better driving mechanics than most 4x4s, but you get the bonus of a little extra help in rainy weather/cornering on dry roads as well.

I totally get the appeal of a big truck/SUV, particularly when I finally am able to live my best life and move to a more rural area, but I have a gun habit to feed. As much as I wanted to justify a body-on-frame 4x4 when I went to buy the Mazda, I balked at the idea of paying $10k more for a car I knew I would use as a daily driver. My wallet is better off for it.

User Tag List