Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Gladiators Selling Poorly - Now with Big Dealer Incentives

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yeah, but if you have to tow a trailer for your car, the box truck still gives you all that space to have protected tools, tires, spares, workbench, etc.

Although, once you get to that point, get a real trailer and a real truck and get on with it.
    Hence a K-series swap into the Sunbeam, with a bullet proof drivetrain and good suspension bits, I should be able to avoid breaking it too often at the track.

My plan is to get one of these: https://www.leroyengineering.com/grid.php - Which I can use to haul a simple tool and spares kit. I can also raise it to the ceiling of the garage when not in use, it weighs 280 pounds. I even thought of building a drop-in flat floor for it, so I can use it as a utility trailer.

For awhile, I thought I might end up living here in Chicago for, forever, and if I did, I'd have to make a 1-car garage work as the storage and workspace for the 'Beam. So, I spent some time looking at my options out there. The Leroy Engineering track trailers are about ideal for this kind of thing.

Then I wouldn't need a Series Land Rover for anything...except hood rat shit.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    They should make a version of that to haul bikes.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Another shot of the old girl...

Moores' Gulch, N of Phoenix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Farswot View Post
    Is that an M37 Power Wagon or something later? When I was in the Navy they were still using Power Wagons for 3/4 ton duty. Logged a lot of miles on those things.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-17-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I was considering replacing my old vehicles with something made this century but noticed something very disturbing. It's pretty hard to find a 4x4 with a manual transfer case.
    My '12 frontier has a lever, and either it's manual or they've managed to replicate the feel of the gears crunching in. A quick googling didn't give me an answer.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

1953 M37W/W 3/4 ton 4X4

Produced from 1951 to 1968 in the US & Canada. Series type G741.

Factory variants included cargo, command, ambulance, telephone maintenance. Limited production cab & chassis were contractor turned into crash rescue, dump bed, contact maintenance rigs.

Most were Army, some USMC, a few USAF. USN use was rare.

Farswot.

Site Supporter
    That is the attraction. I put 250K on that truck over 30 years.

That and a 3-53N Detroit, 5-sp OD, and 11:00-18's.

Newer sealing items done properly made leaks a no biggie.

Farswot
    No kidding. Unfortunately the owner had a chubby for 'period correct' and 'military accurate' so he wanted to use all the 50's era cork gaskets, etc.

A powertrain swap like yours would be PERFECT in that truck. Well done, dude!

Site Supporter
    Can't figure if the astonishment I have is from the old vehicle going to a remote location, or there is rain in the PHX area.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Can't figure if the astonishment I have is from the old vehicle going to a remote location, or there is rain in the PHX area.
    I know its shocking to hear but some years the number of days with rain here approach the double digits!

Site Supporter
    Yep- I’m pretty sure you’re using that Jeep as God (and Willie) intended. The home setting and mud splatter are good indicators. I genuinely wish you an uneventful maintenance experience with your Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    Hopefully I can qualify for the 2% of Jeep owners that are non assholes.

I bought this 2018 JKU with the manual a few months ago and have been nothing but pleased. There are some screaming deals to be found on used manual Jeeps right now, because there are fewer buyers that can drive them or teach their kids to drive them.

I am a recent urban escapee and the Jeep fits my rural, mountainous area perfectly.

The first thing I did when I bought the Jeep was pull the OEM mud terrains off and put a new set of Duratracs on it. Most people who have trouble driving on snow or ice should stop expecting AWD, limited slip, etc to make up for running shitty tires. Our Outback has Blizzaks for winter and they make that thing look like a billy goat.

Hating on mall crawlers is certainly an enjoyable pastime, but in its element the Jeep still shines.

Attachment 48579

User Tag List