Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Gladiators Selling Poorly - Now with Big Dealer Incentives

PW's fer sale

Quote Originally Posted by Farswot View Post
    That's the place!

I mean seriously - someone look at this truck and tell me you don't want it more than you want a Jeep "Gladiator" - https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...n/2372159.html

Gladiator gets quotes, because that Power Wagon would eat the "Gladiator" for lunch.

Bonus points for what appears to be a bullet hole in the passenger door!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Here's the one for @OlongJohnson to turn into a motorcycle hauler/desert camper - https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...s/2353658.html

We had three different 1-ton Dodge vans with 360s/autos over the years as work vans. Excellent driving trucks, with enough power to get it, even when loaded to night capacity. Plenty of ground clearance as well.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Retired Penske 12-ft box truck.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Retired Penske 12-ft box truck.
    I drove a GMC 16-footer, gasoline, with the dually rear-axle from Austin to Chicago when we moved here. With cruise control and a 75 mph governor; we averaged, 17 mpg fully loaded with the cruise set at 71-72mph; I kept the rest in reserve for passing and it would do it without hesitation. I never did weigh it, but if it was under 8,000 pounds, I would be surprised.

I've actually frequently thought of buying a 16-footer and converting it to a car hauler. A 16-footer would hold the entire Sunbeam + Tool Box + Sundries. But what would I do with a 16-foot box truck when I wasn't using it to haul a car once every 10-months?

A SWB Series Land Cruiser with some kind of engine swap + trailer would be more fun and at least a semi-practical DD. Especially with power steering and A/C, the PS is basically mandatory to effect an engine swap in those things. Sure it would ride like a small dump truck, but then so does a 16-foot box truck.

Right, because a 16-ft box truck is medium duty.

The 12 footer is SRW, 9900 GVWR. Same overall L&W footprint and load floor height for easy loading (with the same compromise of wheel wells intruding) as a 155" WB Express/Savana, but with a massively more useful cargo area that separates the fuel storage from the people. No trailer required, all materials are protected from weather and visual recognition. Slap on a set of Bilsteins and you're golden.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Right, because a 16-ft box truck is medium duty.

The 12 footer is SRW, 9900 GVWR. Same overall L&W footprint and load floor height for easy loading (with the same compromise of wheel wells intruding) as a 155" WB Express/Savana, but with a massively more useful cargo area that separates the fuel storage from the people. No trailer required, all materials are protected from weather and visual recognition. Slap on a set of Bilsteins and you're golden.
    Yea, for bikes the 12-footer is about perfect. Alas, it's just a too short for cars. Sunbeam is about two inches shy of 13' long. So the 16-footer gives me everything...except, how the fuck do you load a car in it, easily? You don't, at least not with the standard box. You build some kind of shitty ramp that doesn't work very well or you need a loading dock every day...

Then I start down the rabbit hole of things like tilt-back boxes...and before you know it, I'm basically back to where I started...A 14' aluminum flat trailer on bags that can drop all the way to the ground for quick and easy loading. If it's a full floor trailer, I get all the utility of an extra long pick-up bed.

Yeah, but if you have to tow a trailer for your car, the box truck still gives you all that space to have protected tools, tires, spares, workbench, etc.

Although, once you get to that point, get a real trailer and a real truck and get on with it.

Bikes are like cats. They don't take up much space, don't cost very much (compared to cars, anyway). The first one is awesome. Then you think, hey, I should have a dual-sport so I can connect trails. Then you think, I don't want to tear up the dual sport just pounding commute miles. Pretty soon, you're that guy with all those bikes. You can be that guy and still rock the old beater van.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List