Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Gladiators Selling Poorly - Now with Big Dealer Incentives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    All of the above is true. The minivan is simply the best vehicle no one wants to own for the general utility purposes we use cars for. I will always have one.
    Which is why I can't understand why the Element went away. It was like a 'cool' minivan. My wife LOVED hers. She cried when it got totalled, and when we went looking for something similar, there just isn't. She ended up in an Outback.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Sounds like you need a Sprinter...

Chris
    Have you seen my posts and the corroborating posts by others in the Sprinter thread?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Have you seen my posts and the corroborating posts by others in the Sprinter thread?
    No. I remembered the thread, but not your contribution. I was mainly being a smartass.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    The minivan is simply the best vehicle no one wants to own for the general utility purposes we use cars for.
    I had a Chevy Astro as a company car, and ultimately ended up buying it. It towed my boat, it hauled my track bike, it had a good stereo and got decent mileage and had over 500mi range.

I hated it...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The current last generation V6 Camaro was faster than the pre-Coyote V8 Mustang, IIRC. They are quite capable cars. My SS/RS is stupid fast. It's absolutely nuts how fast it can accelerate. I'm not a burn-out guy, but do love a hard charge down an entrance ramp or a 'how quick can I get back into my lane' 2-lane passing funs. My fun factor is pretty solidly in the rolling start to 80mph range. I've had it up to 120 in a controlled environment and it would have done more easily if I'd had more controlled environment.

Top speed doesn't really fun me out, though. I've done 135 in Crown Vics, so meh, not exactly a thrill and the instances of being able to use top speed without endangering lives and driving status is very minimal to me.

Did I ever tell you about the time my buddy snuck on to the Indy 500 track for a quick lap? The supposedly empty Indy 500 track? The supposedly empty Indy 500 track that had a tour bus on it? No? Ah, well, it never happened if that's what you're asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    There is a reason why small cars and rally cars are more fun than just about everything else. You can reach the limits of such a vehicle in relatively limited controlled conditions.

I do love asphalt, but still, I’m a dirt guy at heart.
    I love my NC series Miata because I can get myself into an assload of trouble without even breaking urban speed limits. Even rowing through the box is fun...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've done 135 in Crown Vics
    Did I ever tell you about the time my buddy snuck on to the Indy 500 track for a quick lap?
    Ah, well, it never happened if that's what you're asking.
    Hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Regular mustang GT is already a ton of car.
    I know, right?
    I think the horsepower escalation reached the point of diminishing return a long time ago. After putting 105k on my turbo Focus I might even consider the 2.3EB in the Mustang. Probably plenty of power and nice delivery, and a few grand cheaper. Maybe troll for a used one when the Focus is done.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The problem is that weight and size go right along with it.

Also, driver aids. With all the electronic "helpers" active, those 400-500 hp cars are intermittently turned into 250 hp (or less) cars just when needed to protect someone from being a complete ninny and having a really bad day. Most of the time.

Also, weight. The weight and size keep going up along with the HP. Mazda and Porsche seeming to be the only notable exceptions.

People don't actually drive significantly faster now than they did in the '80s, because we've been operating at the limit of the human performance comfort zone since the 55 started to be lifted. That hasn't changed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I had a Chevy Astro as a company car, and ultimately ended up buying it. It towed my boat, it hauled my track bike, it had a good stereo and got decent mileage and had over 500mi range.

I hated it...

Astros are under rated. A buddy of mine had one for a company car. He also had a waterski boat (Malibu?). Four of us towed the boat from Illinois to Florida one winter over Christmas break for some skiing, and it didn't bat an eye.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The problem is that weight and size go right along with it.
    Ain't that the truth. We got a Highlander for the wife. It's great. For her. Quiet, reliable, BORING, and after driving it, I realized I mainly hate it because it is just too damn heavy and therefore sluggish in its manners (the lack of fun seems to be a general Toyota characteristic as well). Give me the Odyssey any day.

User Tag List