Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broke my POM, what now?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    In general, the first thing you should do when you have a problem with any product (after alerting the internet ) is to contact the vendor or manufacturer. Having said that, and despite POM being the darling of social media influencers (that may or may not have a business or affiliate relationship with them), I’d recommend the use of the Sabre Red MK6 which has a proven history of being both effective and durable.

Of course, the MK6 is bigger, not as “metro” and harder to color coordinate with your purse and/or shoes.
    Tom,

How does the Mk6 compare to the Mk20? Sounds like they're comparable amounts of spray and the Mk20 has a metal clip with the added bonus of being available direct from Sabre.

Edit: Think I got the Mk22 and Mk20 mixed up. The Mk22 is closer in size to the Mk6, but only available from police supply vendors. Mk20 is available straight from Sabre, but is significantly larger than the MK6/Mk22
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 02-10-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    While I prefer Sabre, that can is hard to fit in a pocket. The only reason I own POM products is i can discreetly have some liquid fire on hand.
    https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre...er-spray-baton

https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-red-pen-pepper-spray

Of course, while the pen one is....relatively.....discreet, you'd have to take care not to spray yourself.

I'd trust Sabre's mini-baton model over the ASP product.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I had an AD with one of these in my pocket and painted my leg also got on my hands which migrated to lips and nose. That was a fun grocery experience. The safety disengaged in my pocket and when I sat down in the car my quad depressed the tab.

I was regularly taking it out at the end of the day to find the safety tab in the fire position. My other problem was if I needed to deploy it I was not able to know by feel if it was on or off safe.

The Sabre replaced an old Spitfire that broke which has now been replaced by POM. I’d rather buy a POM every 6 months than paint myself again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I had an AD with one of these in my pocket and painted my leg also got on my hands which migrated to lips and nose. That was a fun grocery experience. The safety disengaged in my pocket and when I sat down in the car my quad depressed the tab.

I was regularly taking it out at the end of the day to find the safety tab in the fire position. My other problem was if I needed to deploy it I was not able to know by feel if it was on or off safe.

The Sabre replaced an old Spitfire that broke which has now been replaced by POM. I’d rather buy a POM every 6 months than paint myself again.

I'm not a fan at all of the easily disengaged "safety" on this product either. I currently use painters/masking tape as a supplement to the original. I'm currently looking for better options.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post

I too find the POM method of actuation to be both safer (that is, less prone to accidentally discharging) and more reliable (that is, easier to find and press the spray button while getting the dingus pointed correctly) than the Sabre Red.

I've had Sabre Red for years, but currently carry a POM.
    Mine's been fine, but while it's carried daily, I don't practice any rough stuff with it, and it's carried on the belt in a small Leatherman nylon sleeve, so quite accessible but also somewhat protected.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Broke my POM, what now?

@Bratch, thanks for posting that account. I've had my Sabres come off "safety" quite a few times as well. It's a bad design that I've come to live with. Maybe I'll try POM--especially if they update the shell.

I had another brand of pocket-sized OC unit with a swivel head fail due to lint in the oriface, resulting in not being able to spray the two German Shepherd dogs that were attacking me and my dog. (I was finally able to spray one dog in butthole at close range, which took it out of the fight.)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-12-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    (I was finally able to spray one dog in butthole at close range, which took it out of the fight.)
    That made me chuckle. Gotta wonder what that poor dog was thinking (ouch! Shit! Why is my asshole burning? Why does it taste like Master's TexMex leftovers?).

As for POM, issues aside, the very metrosexual color scheme is why I like it. It goes unnoticed in polite society. Even Mickey and Minny didn't pay attention to it this past summer. I've yet to test it in DC, but it'll be interesting to see if it'll get past the eagle eyed security guards at the Air and Space Museum (metal detectors and govt-paid sheepdogs!).

Chris

Site Supporter
    @Bratch, thanks for posting that account. I've had my Sabres come off "safety" quite a few times as well. It's a bad design that I've come to live with. Maybe I'll try POM--especially if they update the shell.
    Sabre has a flip top model that's very similarly sized. I've carried one for a year or so and it's much better than the old style.

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...nd-finger-grip

Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    I'm not a fan at all of the easily disengaged "safety" on this product either. I currently use painters/masking tape as a supplement to the original. I'm currently looking for better options.

Keith
    I've found pocket organizer reduces AD risk and puts OC, light, keys, and utility knife in fixed orientation
    Name:  IMG_20200212_162434.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  37.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Sabre has a flip top model that's very similarly sized. I've carried one for a year or so and it's much better than the old style.

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...nd-finger-grip
    Ooh thanks! I had the “come off ‘safety’ “ problem a few times, and didn’t know this existed. I don’t see any dimensions listed,I’m assuming it is basically the same size as the other compact models?

User Tag List