Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasonably priced and durable can for 308 bolt rifle

Site Supporter

Reasonably priced and durable can for 308 bolt rifle

Title says it all. I'm considering a hunting-friendly can that isn't too long or heavy, but durable enough for recreational shooting with a bolt gun. Host gun is a Savage Hog Hunter 308Win, but will consider more durable cans that will handle up to 300WM if they're not too big or heavy. Cost is a factor too. Ideally below $1k before tax stamp. Direct thread is fine.

I'll be looking to beat the VA AWB if it keeps the current language allowing previously owned cans to be kept, so the candidate will need to be relatively available (ie not sold out for the next 6 months).

Chris

This is so easy. Rex Silentium or the new Energetic precision can, heck even the Energetic Vox S. Any of these are universal mount cut and can do quick detach or direct thread. Contact @Hansohn Brothers NOW. Get that paperwork started ASAP.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Thanks.

The Vox S is one I looked at in the past. The RS MG7 looks interesting too.
    Though, maybe I should consider the MG10 458 and get my 35Whelen threaded too.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Title says it all. I'm considering a hunting-friendly can that isn't too long or heavy, but durable enough for recreational shooting with a bolt gun. Host gun is a Savage Hog Hunter 308Win, but will consider more durable cans that will handle up to 300WM if they're not too big or heavy. Cost is a factor too. Ideally below $1k before tax stamp. Direct thread is fine.

I'll be looking to beat the VA AWB if it keeps the current language allowing previously owned cans to be kept, so the candidate will need to be relatively available (ie not sold out for the next 6 months).

Chris
    Hey Chris,

We have Energetic Vox-S ($858.65), Rex Silentium MG7-308 ($626.47), YHM Resonator K ($602.77) and YHM Resonator R2 ($684.27). All prices include PF discount (coupon code THANKS), VA sales tax (5.3%) and NFA tax ($200).

Site Supporter
    @Hansohn Brothers,

Would the Rex Silentium MG7-458 handle a 35 Whelen (35cal based on 30-06 parent)? I don't expect it'll be as effective on such a large case, but will it provide some suppression and will it handle the pressure?
    Speaking of the 35W, would the .358 version of the same can be "big enough" bore-wise or is it intended for .355 bullets such as those used by the 9mm? The 35 Whelen uses .358 jacketed rifle bullets.

Primary use is still the 308Win with supersonic hunting loads, but I'm curious about multiple-caliber applications...

Chris

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I'm currently waffling on the big-bore idea. My Whelen isn't threaded and I like to shoot lead through it. I may take that off the list as a soft requirement.

Chris

@Hansohn Brothers,

Would the Rex Silentium MG7-458 handle a 35 Whelen (35cal based on 30-06 parent)? I don't expect it'll be as effective on such a large case, but will it provide some suppression and will it handle the pressure?
    Speaking of the 35W, would the .358 version of the same can be "big enough" bore-wise or is it intended for .355 bullets such as those used by the 9mm? The 35 Whelen uses .358 jacketed rifle bullets.

Primary use is still the 308Win with supersonic hunting loads, but I'm curious about multiple-caliber applications...

Chris
    Yes, it can handle 35 Whelen, confirmed with Rex. The 338 model is rated for 338 Lapua Mag after all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansohn Brothers View Post
    Yes, it can handle 35 Whelen, confirmed with Rex. The 338 model is rated for 338 Lapua Mag after all.
    Looks like VA gets a 1yr reprieve from the Senate.
    https://twitter.com/vcdl_org/status/...614085633?s=21

So, how do we get this ball rolling? I intend to use a trust already in place for my rimfire can.

Chris

Looks like VA gets a 1yr reprieve from the Senate.
    https://twitter.com/vcdl_org/status/...614085633?s=21

So, how do we get this ball rolling? I intend to use a trust already in place for my rimfire can.

Chris
    You can purchase online then come to the shop for prints and photos when your schedule allows. Use coupon code THANKS for 10% off silencers.

User Tag List