Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Domestic Terrorism: Man Deliberately Rams Vehicle Into Tent Full Of GOP Volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You are taking a myopic view equating the last American civil war with civil wars in general. Yugoslavia and Rwanda had neither of the conditions you mentioned. Economic differences are only one type of fundamental difference.

Religion and “tribe” regardless of how you want to define tribe, can and have been sources of conflict.

Fundamental differences... like cultural divide we have now .... the electoral college is the main thing keeping a lid on that.

As for the comparatively peaceful time vs the times of the SLA this just tells me you haven’t been paying attention.

Black nationalists murdering cops from ambush in Dallas and Baton Rouge, left wing extremists shooting up Republican Congressmen at softball practice and Immigration detention centers, and lets not forget the right wing extremists slaughtering innocent people in synagogues and Walmart’s due to their religion or ethnicity. I guess it’s relatively peaceful compared to what’s going on in Mexico right now.
    Ok, I have had my moments of wondering if we have some similarities to Weimar Germany, as well.

I had a friend's Croatian mom try to get me to run guns during the Yugoslavian civil war, trust me I am pretty cognizant of the long-standing hatreds there. Sometimes the American general lack of a sense of history is a plus.

Also from the 60s-70s: massive race riots that left cities in flames, hijackings galore, Black Panthers marching with guns in Sacramento leading to Reagan starting the end of open carry as a legal thing, the KKK gunning down protestors in Greensboro, NC in broad daylight with near impunity, the regular use of the National Guard to suppress demonstrations on college campuses (Kent State ring a bell?)....I could keep this up all day.

All the incidents you mention are lone actors. I get nervous about true mass movements getting together to commit violence far more than "firecrackers".
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

If you look at actual body counts what you had back then was small potatoes.
    Maybe the recent body count is higher but I doubt the property damage from the 60's and 70's riots is anywhere close. When has the nat'l guard been called to restore order recently? The last time was 28 years ago during the Rodney King riots in LA. The guard was called out 8 times during the 60's and 70's. Riots that cause loss of life and destroy property worth hundreds of millions of dollars is my definition of chaos and instability.

I'm not sure if you were around to see it but I was. I was in LA shortly after the Watts riot that killed 34 people with property damage at 40 million. My older brother who was going to school at Pepperdine at the time drove me thru the neighborhood.

I guess it depends on type of potatoes we're talking about.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If you look at actual body counts what you had back then was small potatoes.
    Your source of data?

I'm quite willing to be proved wrong.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's the American way....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Ok, I have had my moments of wondering if we have some similarities to Weimar Germany, as well.

I had a friend's Croatian mom try to get me to run guns during the Yugoslavian civil war, trust me I am pretty cognizant of the long-standing hatreds there. Sometimes the American general lack of a sense of history is a plus.

Also from the 60s-70s: massive race riots that left cities in flames, hijackings galore, Black Panthers marching with guns in Sacramento leading to Reagan starting the end of open carry as a legal thing, the KKK gunning down protestors in Greensboro, NC in broad daylight with near impunity, the regular use of the National Guard to suppress demonstrations on college campuses (Kent State ring a bell?)....I could keep this up all day.

All the incidents you mention are lone actors. I get nervous about true mass movements getting together to commit violence far more than "firecrackers".
    Some of the incidents I mentioned are lone actors, some were lone actors backed by organizations.

The Antifa vs Alt Right violence we see in Portland and some places in CA qualifies if it spreads. In most places it is thankfully in the the aspirational stages.

Some of the incidents I mentioned are lone actors, some were lone actors backed by organizations.

The Antifa vs Alt Right violence we see in Portland and some places in CA qualifies if it spreads. In most places it is thankfully in the the aspirational stages.
    Some incidents you mentioned had actors who could be thought of as indentifying with larger groups in the US, but that is a far cry from being "backed."

I'm aware of the whole "accelerationist" idea, but I think it's about as delusional as leftist radicals in the 60s thinking they would would go take factory jobs and lead the working class in revolution.

Admittedly, I live in an area where no one would tolerate the crap that is happening on and near the left coast. I have a feeling if that violence gets past "aspirational," voters will develop a taste for "law and order" politicians much like they did in the 70s.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

The Wannabe Che Radical types and the Wannabe Tac Timmy Boogaloo types are pretty much the same kind of "all hat, no cattle" when it comes to the actual hard work of making things work.

Someone showing up in their Righteous Revolutionary/ Threeper Operator cosplay to signal their virtue is one thing- it's easy, and there's no real risk. Especially in Leftist run cities that look at Radical rioting with the same kind of indulgent eye that a particularly poor parent might turn to their child's public meltdown.

Actually going to work and writing letters to politicians and knocking on doors with petitions and working for the candidate you think is best and spending your own money and all that jazz- it's kind of hard.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Wannabe Che Radical types and the Wannabe Tac Timmy Boogaloo types are pretty much the same kind of "all hat, no cattle" when it comes to the actual hard work of making things work.

Someone showing up in their Righteous Revolutionary/ Threeper Operator cosplay to signal their virtue is one thing- it's easy, and there's no real risk. Especially in Leftist run cities that look at Radical rioting with the same kind of indulgent eye that a particularly poor parent might turn to their child's public meltdown.

Actually going to work and writing letters to politicians and knocking on doors with petitions and working for the candidate you think is best and spending your own money and all that jazz- it's kind of hard.
    We have a fairly active branch of the KKK in my neck of the woods, and they are so cowardly they changed the site of their most recent march to another damn county at the last second.

I wonder if that has anything do with all the black folks who exercise their 2A rights in our county?

Nah, couldn't be. 😉
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Some incidents you mentioned had actors who could be thought of as indentifying with larger groups in the US, but that is a far cry from being "backed."

I'm aware of the whole "accelerationist" idea, but I think it's about as delusional as leftist radicals in the 60s thinking they would would go take factory jobs and lead the working class in revolution.

Admittedly, I live in an area where no one would tolerate the crap that is happening on and near the left coast. I have a feeling if that violence gets past "aspirational," voters will develop a taste for "law and order" politicians much like they did in the 70s.
    We had a lot of "law and order" in the last century. That started the Rodney King riot in 92. 63 people were killed with 1B in damages. Helicopter news coverage was in its infancy but we saw most of it, blow by blow. That makes Antifa and Alt Right demonstrations look pretty tame.

https://youtu.be/kzuWr0FYe5Y?t=704
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-19-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    We had a lot of "law and order" in the last century. That started the Rodney King riot in 92. 63 people were killed with 1B in damages. Helicopter news coverage was in its infancy but we saw most of it, blow by blow. That makes Antifa and Alt Right demonstrations look pretty tame.

https://youtu.be/kzuWr0FYe5Y?t=704
    I was just thinking about that incident and was thinking about Googling some relevant videos--hive mind is scary.

I was having a good time with some friends who happened to be black in college the evening before, the sort of fun that streches into the next day....that came to a crashing halt with the news of the riots.

I have never seen a group of people so crestfallen. It was then that I realized that being white means not having to apologize for the evil that other whites do, unlike every other group in the country that feels the weight of every evil deed committed by "one of their own."

(If anyone thinks I'm full of shit, consider this: why don't we use the phase "white-on-white crime," ever?)

I really hope the reaction to events out west (and I think that is a matter of when not if) settles to a happy medium, but we like to go from extreme to extreme in this country. Like letting pill mills operate like crazy, then making folks with legitimate pain problems feel like criminals a few years later.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 02-19-2020 at 10:52 PM.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List