Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How the World Sees Us...and it's Sad

How the World Sees Us...and it's Sad

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51417722

Election years can be times of national renewal. One thinks of the Reagan landslide in 1984, when he campaigned on the ringing theme of It's Morning Again in America and carried 49 states, or Barack Obama's victory in 2008, with its audacity of hope.

But the chaos of caucus night in Iowa has reminded us again of the country's democratic decay. Even the mechanics of democracy no longer seem to work any more, a problem highlighted in the disputed 2000 election that has not yet been fixed.

On Tuesday night, we witnessed American polarisation play out in real time. During the impeachment trial it often seemed that the very idea - and ideals - of America was on the stand.

A broken politics, a broken democracy, a broken country.

Is the United States beyond the point of repair?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Well, shit. I say Fuck 'Em all...

Wasn't there a German General who said something to the point of "the reason Americans are so good at war is that war is chaos, and the Americans practice chaos every day"?

And, as long as it's the Dems who are screwing the pooch, I'm unconcerned :-)

It's not the "World". It's a partisan hack from BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    It's not the "World". It's a partisan hack from BBC.
    Point taken. You think no one reading it agrees?

Anyway, I posted the link because I thought it was worth reading. What it means, or its relevance is up to the readership.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

It's not what I'm hearing from people outside the USA.

Whereas back in the 2000's I heard a lot of anti-Bush sediments from Aussies & Kiwis, these past few years it's been a lot of pro-Trump stuff, usually from random strangers who notice my Yank accent.
    It's bizarre, but that's what's happening.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Well when you live in a country that arrests people for butter knives, memes, and unlicensed televisions I really couldn't care less if their opinion of the US is unfavorable.

Site Supporter
    Being liked by the "world" is like being liked by the New York Times. It means you are doing it wrong.

Have you sat down with Canadians and ask them what they think of their own government? Maybe it's because all my Canadian relatives are from the western side of their country, but they think Trump is just fine and despise Trudeau.

Ditto goes for the international guests my wife serves through her business. Pretty much all of them think we're just fine and really enjoy visiting here.

I might be a pompous nationalist, but at least I realize that the U.S.A. saved this planet twice in the 1900's and the world would be a very different place if we hadn't helped out.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Point taken. You think no one reading it agrees?
    Dude, they've been thinking that way for years, because it's what their news media tells them to think.

You know how a lot of Americans have a pretty distorted view of the rest of the world? A mix of outdated info, stereotypes, misconceptions based on popular media portrayals, and just plain ignorance?

The rest of the world isn't all that different when it comes to us. Heck, a number think that you can drive from LA to Texas in about an hour, and to Disney World in another two.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List