Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
Thanks @whomever. That’s valuable perspective.
It would seem that it might be premature to react to a “trend” until an actual trend can be identified.

That said, the AF would do well to continue their suicide prevention program, as I’d like to think there were likely some missed intervention opportunities in these 84 incidents.

But I take your point - there may be no “common root cause”, which is what many will be looking for.
All the individual causes/circumstances will be different, but the most common factors in the Air Force are the same as in civilian life: work/relationship/financial issues leading to a feeling of hopelessness and alcohol is often involved. Air Force life, like the other services, just amplifies the above stressors.

Biggest issue is a high ops tempo coupled with insufficient manning. Ops/Maintenance/Security Forces are all severely undermanned. Experience levels are very low as well. It's burning people out. Despite Big AF's efforts, visiting Mental Health still carries a stigma and asking for help/saying you need a break can still have negative career implications.

Toxic leadership and risk aversion at all levels are also issues the Air Force.

I still think all the efforts put Band-Aids on the Ops Tempo/Personnel Manning Level mismatches. The way to fix the suicide issues is to stop the endless wars in the Middle East or at least adopt a realistic, sustainable ops tempo that actually lets folks rest and recover in garrison between deployments.