Thread: Storage Ideas _ magazines, spare parts, accessories, etc

Storage Ideas _ magazines, spare parts, accessories, etc

I’m trying to clean up my workshop and have always struggled with organization. Having lived through the AWB of 94 to 04 it felt prudent for me to stockpile lots of mags for each platform. I also have lots of accessories and spare parts for various things.

The sortimo system works great (albeit at a very high price) to organize really small parts, but is not appropriate for larger accessories like slings, buttstocks, spare shotgun mag tubes, etc.

Current inclination is to use smallish Rubbermaid containers but even still this requires digging through everything to get anything out.

For magazines, I bought some “California competition works” brand nylon organizers that hold 10 glock mags side by side, flat. But now I have more than the 20 mags that fit in my two of those, including glock 43 mags that are pretty small. I can shove the 43 mags in zip lock bags in the rubbermaid.

It probably doesn’t make sense to fetishize my storage by spending possibly hundreds on nylon storage to then put inside the Rubbermaids.

Seeking help and ideas from the group either on exact ideas or general philosophy. A few thoughts:

This is meant to be deep storage stuff so spending $200 on a bunch of nylon organizers doesn’t make much sense since I already have some for my primary mags. Would be better off putting that Same $200 into more mags just shoved in the Rubbermaid. I have to repeat this because the draw to have very organized space is strong.

As long as I label each Rubbermaid with an indicator, and have a spreadsheet or digital note with inventory, it should be okay to find things.

I should probably sell, trade, or throw out a few things. Problem is that most isn’t worth shipping cost. For example I upgraded the magpul buttstock that came in my MP15-22 with a different magpul buttstock that has QD points. The old ‘Shoulder thing that goes up” might be worth $10 but shipping would kill it so I just keep it as a backup. Risk of becoming a hoarder.

I’ve downsized my collection a few times over the years so I don’t have as much as you to organize but - my specific gun tools and small spare parts go into a Plano container that has six to seven compartments, some self contained and removable. I’m using cheap buckets from Lowe’s that are food grade to organize gun magazines and larger parts, stackable and cheap and they seal. Different sizes too.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List