Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about ear protection

Let's talk about ear protection

I've become overly paranoid about protecting my ears over the last few years so I've started doubling up on plugs and muffs.

I use Howard Leight stuff at the moment because I found it to be the most comfortable in general. I use the Max 1 Plugs with a NRR of 33dB and the Leightning L3 muffs with a NRR of 30dB for shooting pistol and the slim line Leightning L0F muffs with a NRR of 23dB. So far I've avoided the electronic muffs because they were either too bulky, far to expensive, or didn't offer a significant noise reduction; but I will admit to the fact that I have not done much research lately.

Lately I've been noticing that my ears are sore after spending all day at a match, so I'm wondering if this is a common problem with wearing hearing protection for long periods of time or if perhaps my ear protection isn't as comfortable as I think it is. And if that is the case then I'm wondering where do I go from here.

Sore as in ringing from noise, or sore because the ear canal is irritated?

If you're inserting the plugs properly, and you don't have significant leakage where your glasses break the muff seal, you should be getting good protection. Electronic muffs usually don't help with noise reduction -- they help with situational awareness while wearing hearing protection.

I sometimes have a hard time leaving plugs in for a full day. Taking them out for a short break seems to help.

You could also try other brands/shapes/materials. These folks offer assortment trial packs: http://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp.html

NRRs are measured under ideal conditions. It's rare for real users to see the full value of noise reduction. Having equipment that fits and wearing it properly is worth more than minor differences in NRRs.

It's not a ringing pain, more like the ear canal is irritated.

I'm fairly certain I'm inserting them properly, I watched some 5 minute video on youtube a while again that basically explained the correct way to roll and how to pull your ear up and all that.

Would some of those custom fit silicone ear plugs work better?

Your ear canals might be to small for the MAX's -- try a full day with one of the smaller sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by ummm View Post
    Your ear canals might be to small for the MAX's -- try a full day with one of the smaller sizes.
    I didn't even realize they came in other sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I didn't even realize they came in other sizes.
    I double up as well with plugs and muffs. I tried quite a few different variation of the disposable / semi-disposable plugs before finally breaking down and having a pair of plugs custom made by an audiologist. They make molds in the office, then send them off to a manufacturer, in my case, Westone.

They are much, much more comfortable.

I've only tried a ton of disposables and the surefires...the max1's are the best inner ones I've tried. Extremely comfy and quiet. I think it might be a fit issue wit you.

Howard Leight does make foam earplugs in different sizes: http://www.howardleight.com/ear-protection/earplugs

I've used the Max Lite, and it is more comfortable than the Max.

E-A-R also offers different sizes. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...=5022805&rt=c3

As does Moldex: http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protec...lugs/index.php

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    while we're at it, where is a good place to order cheap (but not total garbage) foam earplugs in bulk? I always double up and feel ripped off buying them at pharmacies/hardware stores/etc.

i get mine on amazon.com

User Tag List