Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Revolver RFI

I like the 637-2 Airweight J-frames enough that I have switched three of them to titanium cylinders to get the weight down to 12 ounces and reamed them for 9x19 and moonclips. 147gr 9mm recoil is midway between .38Sp+P and .357Mag

I wonder if the 150gr HST Short Barrel rounds would be a good match for a 9mil snubbie... anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I wonder if the 150gr HST Short Barrel rounds would be a good match for a 9mil snubbie... anyone know for sure?
    It's good for ultra soft recoil but 50/50 if it expands right out of Shield, PPS, and other little autos...99% sure same results with a snub. I only get them because they work just fine in 4-5" barrels, shoot top of the front sight on everything, and the whole family can easily handle the recoil. Feels like you must be shooting a 380, lots of fun on drills.

Winchester Train & Defend 147gr has slightly more pep but still softer than 147 HST, Gold Dot, etc. It expands out of everything, every time, with very good penetration to boot - unlike any of the other heavy 9's out of tiny barrels. Best short barrel jhp IMO. Just like the 150 HST you have to get them in 20rd boxes.

I'd sure like to see Kimber add 9mm to the K6 line up.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'd sure like to see Kimber add 9mm to the K6 line up.
    2nd!!
    I even looked around to see if anyone had modded their K6S or if any gunsmith offered the option but I didn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I was looking for something more in the 4-6 inch range for barrel length. What issues were the 940 presenting?
    I just picked up the new Ruger Super GP100 Match Champion in 9mm today. If you're willing to wait a week before you make a purchase, I'll have a review up shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I just picked up the new Ruger Super GP100 Match Champion in 9mm today. If you're willing to wait a week before you make a purchase, I'll have a review up shortly.
    A week is nothing to me. Even if I ordered online today, I wouldn’t be able to pick it up for....months.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    A week is nothing to me. Even if I ordered online today, I wouldn’t be able to pick it up for....months.
    Well in that case stand by for a range report in a week or so. The trigger out of the box isn't great, but it's nothing some polishing and a Wilson spring kit won't fix. My biggest question is going to be accuracy - I'm PRAYING that Ruger actually use 9mm lands and grooves in their barrels. Early runs of 9mm guns from that other revolver company use .357 barrels and had some questionable accuracy.

A safety note to 9mm revolver shooters: carefully vet your choice of ammo in these guns for bullet "pulling".

Some quality ammunition will have the bullets start to extract significantly forward out of the cases.
    Blazer brass 147 FMJ did this badly enough in my Korth to stop cylinder rotation entirely with just a few shots. Disconcerting, then scary.

The Korth has a very short overall cylinder length so it didn't take much of the bullet extracting forward (is there a more concise term for this?) to tie up the rotation. This certainly can do no good for chamber pressures either. On a revolver with a more standard configuration (such as a re-chambered cylinder perhaps) this effect could easily be masked by the longer OAL cylinder length.

Be careful of this. Winchester RA9T 147 and Speer Lawman 147 FMJ work fine.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Be careful of this. Winchester RA9T 147 and Speer Lawman 147 FMJ work fine.
    Across the board, Hornady crimps are good to go. But UMC bulk 115 grain will stay put for four shots (what I need in my 642-1).

User Tag List