Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Revolver RFI

The Blackhawk .357/.38 Special/9mm Convertible is a superb choice; while a 9mm cylinder can be fitted to a .357/.357 magnum by Ruger, call first; as mentioned earlier, there can be some caveats.

My 1979-vintage stainless Blackhawk shoots both 158 gr .357 magnum and 9mm 124 gr like a house on fire-and with identical PPA/POI. It's a gun that in some ways doesn't make sense or have a discernible niche (except maybe for hunting, which I've used it for)-until you shoot it. It'a a magnificent revolver, and a pleasure to use. I've actually used it in both .357 magnum and 9mm in IDPA matches. I'm pretty competitive for the first six rounds-until a reload is necessary, then the wheels kinda fall off...

Mine is extremely accurate, durable and reliable. The beefy .357 and 9mm cylinders (enlarged to proportionally fit in the .44 magnum receiver frame window, not due to any ballistic necessity-for smaller/proportionately sized and lighter, go to a Flattop model) are heavy enough to constitute a deadly weapon intrinsically if thrown at someone...

Best, Jon

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    My 1979-vintage stainless Blackhawk shoots both 158 gr .357 magnum and 9mm 124 gr like a house on fire-and with identical PPA/POI. It's a gun that in some ways doesn't make sense or have a discernible niche (except maybe for hunting, which I've used it for)-until you shoot it. It'a a magnificent revolver, and a pleasure to use. I've actually used it in both .357 magnum and 9mm in IDPA matches. I'm pretty competitive for the first six rounds-until a reload is necessary, then the wheels kinda fall off...
    I was commenting on Saturday that if one had an empty gun and ammo on the bench, one could probably get twelve shots through a Contender faster than through a Blackhawk. On the other hand, those first six (or even two or three) if the Blackhawk is loaded when the buzzer goes off... I reckon it's a case of a NY reload being your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Mine is extremely accurate, durable and reliable. The beefy .357 and 9mm cylinders (enlarged to proportionally fit in the .44 magnum receiver frame window, not due to any ballistic necessity-for smaller/proportionately sized and lighter, go to a Flattop model) are heavy enough to constitute a deadly weapon intrinsically if thrown at someone...
    There was another thread around here that got me thinking about a .357 Bisley. And getting another cylinder fitted, rechambered in .360 DW just to get a little more sauce on it. Still keep thinking about it, but I believe the 10-in barrel and no cylinder gap to get flame cut with heavy loads of 296/110 would likely allow the Contender to outperform a 7 1/2-in .360 DW, even chambered in just .357. That, and at any distance where that performance could possibly matter, my weird eyes are a lot more useful with crosshairs.

[/jack]
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Looking for a revolver, and would like a 9mm. Other than the Smith 986, are there any good options on the market?

Thanks in advance.
    Keep an eye out for the Rock Island Armory AL9.0

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Anyone know whatever happened to that Korth Skyhawk 9mm? I always kind of wanted one but they never seemed to materialize.
    I understand from a guy at my club who owns one that they have been discontinued. He stopped shooting his, considering it to now be a collector's item.
    I have a 986 which is now running like a charm after 2 trips back to Smith. Mounted with an SRO, it's an awesome competition gun. The light titanium cylinder really makes a difference when shooting fast. I have about 8,000 rounds though it so far. It shoots about 3 inch groups at 25 yards. If I reloaded, I'd definitely go with a 38/357 instead.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I understand from a guy at my club who owns one that they have been discontinued. He stopped shooting his, considering it to now be a collector's item.
    That's a bummer. I had been on a waitlist for one since 2017 but gave up on it a long time ago. Too bad they were discontinued, I really liked the concept.

Wow @314159 , I cant believe you own a Korth! I think many people would be interested in a more detailed write up and comparison with lots of close up photos, perhaps in its own thread?

Actually makes me feel better that you are saying there is nothing magical about them. Now I dont feel bad about being too much of a poor to consider buying one haha.
    ------------------

Also, to anyone who has both a .38 and 9mm LCR, how do they compare in recoil? Do the 9mm shoot POA?
    With my .38 LCR with hi viz FO front, 158gr swc shoot a little high and 100gr frangible shoots seriously low. 110gr Hornady Critical Defense is perfect, but I aM still searching for an affordable practice ammo that shoots POA.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    ... recoil? Do the 9mm shoot POA?
    I only have a LCR 9mm. It's my wife's gun, and is our only snubby revolver. It shoots POA with 147 HST and Ranger. I don't find the recoil much more annoying than a Glock 43, but because revolvers feel very "un-ergonomic" to me, I don't enjoy shooting it that much. The Hogue Bantam grip is a big improvement, IMO.

After any ~100 round session, multiple screws become loose, which I find very annoying. As a non-revolver guy, I am not used to my gun falling apart when I shoot it. I've now applied VibraTite, and that seems to help a lot.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I have a 986 which is now running like a charm after 2 trips back to Smith. Mounted with an SRO, it's an awesome competition gun. The light titanium cylinder really makes a difference when shooting fast. I have about 8,000 rounds though it so far. It shoots about 3 inch groups at 25 yards. If I reloaded, I'd definitely go with a 38/357 instead.
    It's been years since I was doing that reading, but I thought there was something about the 986 having the same groove diameter as the .357 guns, and people getting better accuracy if they hand load .356 or .357 diameter bullets in the 9mm cases.

Do your diligence, of course - don't just run out and do that because some idiot on the internet said he thinks he remembers reading about it awhile back...

(And I wish they would make a Ti cylinder for the Model 64 and 67.)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It's been years since I was doing that reading, but I thought there was something about the 986 having the same groove diameter as the .357 guns, and people getting better accuracy if they hand load .356 or .357 diameter bullets in the 9mm cases.

Do your diligence, of course - don't just run out and do that because some idiot on the internet said he thinks he remembers reading about it awhile back...

(And I wish they would make a Ti cylinder for the Model 64 and 67.)
    Yeah, I’m aware, thanks. I had my 986 swaged and the gunsmith told me that my barrel was 356+. A friend of mine reloads for me and I shoot .356 diameter bullets. 3 inches is about what the gun will do. I considered .357s but I didn’t want to damage the forcing cone. 3 inches at 25 yards is adequate for steel challenge so I’m good.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post

Also, to anyone who has both a .38 and 9mm LCR, how do they compare in recoil?
    I have not shot my .38 LCR but I have a .357 that I carry .38's in and I had a 9mm. Felt recoil with .38s was much less. the 9mm and .357 LCR's weight the same so the .38 I just got might kick a little more since it's a few ounces lighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List