Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Revolver RFI

Anyone know whatever happened to that Korth Skyhawk 9mm? I always kind of wanted one but they never seemed to materialize.

I have a 9mm LCR, and like it quite a bit.

It will run without moon clips, but you do have to either pick the cases out of the cylinder, or rap the ejector rod quite sharply. Which you should do anyway.

Site Supporter
    Re the 357/9mm blackhawks:

Can you just have a 9mm cylinder fitted to a .357 or is there something unique about the 357/9mm convertibles ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Re the 357/9mm blackhawks:

Can you just have a 9mm cylinder fitted to a .357 or is there something unique about the 357/9mm convertibles ?
    Only way to get one from Ruger in 9mm... they won’t fit a 9mm cylinder to a gun that didn’t come as a Convertible. I wanted to get a Birdshead pistol to run with my 5.5” New Vaquero... gun is offered in both .45 ACP and Colt. Ruger won’t fit an ACP cylinder for me. Never received a legitimate reason why, but sounds like covering their ass.

That being said, there are a few gunsmiths that will fit a .45 ACP (or as you asked... 9mm) cylinder for a client. Shouldn’t be a huge deal, nor can I see how a Convertible is special.

Ruger made 9mm Speed Sixes. They're pricey when they pop up on GB though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Still wishing for the 547 to be rereleased... and/or to adapt that ejection system to other guns, including J frames.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Seems one con to the "clipless" 9mm DA revolver is having to PUSH the cartridges into the chambers past the protruding spring loaded extractors. They are not going to drop freely into a clean cylinder like a speedloader or clip reload.
    I guess that since most of these are meant as backup guns, reloading can be considered in the dim distant future where you have survived going to the BUG in the first place.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Seems one con to the "clipless" 9mm DA revolver is having to PUSH the cartridges into the chambers past the protruding spring loaded extractors. They are not going to drop freely into a clean cylinder like a speedloader or clip reload.
    I guess that since most of these are meant as backup guns, reloading can be considered in the dim distant future where you have survived going to the BUG in the first place.
    Like the 547 system? I’ll admit that, while I handled one many years ago (when the French contract overruns were being retailed,) I never shot one. Did they require more force to chamber? Or are you referring to another clipless system?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I too am attracted by the 9mm revolver concept, to the point that I have 3 different types (to include a Korth Skyhawk). Will do a quick review later tonight when time allows. Short version, the you can't go too far wrong with a LCR.

Name:  IMG_0126.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  82.8 KBA few observations from one who has fiddled around with a few 9mm revolvers.

Shown are a S&W Performance Center 986, Korth Skyhawk, and Ruger LCR. Empty weights are 30, 20, and 16 ounces respectively. Capacities are 7, 6, and 5 respectively.

Semi-random observations:

This Smith is an excellent example in regards to quality. Must use moon clips. Excellent trigger. Can accept a red dot sight mount, presently has Crimson Trace grips. The best shooter.

The Korth is an odd duck, I was prepared to be supremely impressed but I'm a little bit meh about it. The cylinder catch is a weird up and forward movement, no big deal. The weight is excellent. The included Hogue S&W grips fit my hand well (XL 10.5-11). Therefore, it's pleasant to shoot in spite of the low weight. Will be putting a Crimson Trace grip on it soon.
    Sights are not adjustable for elevation and the revolver prefers heavier loads for POA issues. The brass front sight bead popped out while shooting recently, couldn't find it anywhere. Prior owner had to return to Nighthawk for a broken firing pin. The manual does warn you not to dry fire without snap caps. (Digression; this made me feel better about my K6S issue as a bonus.)
    Excellent trigger but it's nothing stellar either, my bone stock S&W 315 feels better. Is mushy a good word for a DA pull? Certainly nice but feels greasy? I don't shoot SA much but the SA pull is kind of the same. Not complaining really but there is no magic here. I've shot a 3 inch regular Korth and it was similarly just a really good trigger.
    Just put the rounds in the cylinder like any rimmed caliber, a complete non-issue. If the revolver is even remotely clean insertion and ejection are easy and work great. I've never allowed it to get really gummed up but I'm not a clean freak either. The supplied speed loader is a colossal pain to load up but once loaded it works great. I don't even want to think what it must cost to get another. Quickstrips for .327 Federal will hold 9mm and are my choice for quick reloading purposes.
    The piece is really compact but it needs a holster. A leather Bianchi #5BHL fits well.
    The price is stupid high, even second hand. I know what that says about me. These will never be a success in the business sense. That's probably why they've only appeared in a couple of tranches.

The Ruger. I still vacillate between this and a lightweight snubby with full wadcutters as to which is the better choice. If the recoil of standard pressure 9mm doesn't affect your accuracy and speed much, here's your revolver.
    Trigger pull is superb. A note, you must allow a full reset of the trigger or LCR's will skip a cylinder hole. Since you only have 5 shots you should be a deliberate shooter anyway...
    Use moon clips, quickstrips, or nothing at all to load the cylinder. Your choice. (Certainly, ejection relies on using moon clips.) This one has fiber optic and Crimson Trace sights, both really help. One of these with a 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights would be fantastic.

Two final notes. I've never seen or seriously searched for a Smith 547 but if the extraction works as well as the Korth that would be a very nice revolver indeed.
    The ability to use the rimless 9mm rounds in a revolver without moon clips is a bigger factor to me than I thought it would be. Clipping and de-clipping is such a hassle. Advantage Korth (and somewhat Ruger). That big Smith sure does shoot well though...
    Last edited by 314159; 02-10-2020 at 11:32 AM.

User Tag List