Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Revolver RFI

9mm Revolver RFI

Looking for a revolver, and would like a 9mm. Other than the Smith 986, are there any good options on the market?

Thanks in advance.

I got my wife a LCR 9mm. We like it quite a bit.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

In current production, the LCR Cluster mentioned, Charter Arms, the Ruger ,357/9MM SA convertibles, Ruger Super GP100, and the Ruger SP101 is again available in 9mm. Used, a variety: Ruger Service Six, S&W 547, 940, etc. Plus, conversions based on .38 and .357 revolvers are available from outfits like Pinnacle,etc. There are undoubtedly others.

Are the Charter Arms products...worth purchasing? I know nothing about them.

Of the current offerings, I'd go for the LCR. I wouldn't give a used 940 to Osama bin Laden's ghost - I've owned three, none survived longer than a couple of hundred rounds before they had to go back to S&W, who couldn't repair them and had to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Of the current offerings, I'd go for the LCR. I wouldn't give a used 940 to Osama bin Laden's ghost - I've owned three, none survived longer than a couple of hundred rounds before they had to go back to S&W, who couldn't repair them and had to replace them.
    I was looking for something more in the 4-6 inch range for barrel length. What issues were the 940 presenting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I was looking for something more in the 4-6 inch range for barrel length. What issues were the 940 presenting?
    First one was mis-machined so when loaded it bound the pistol up to the point where it had to be shipped back to S&W loaded. Second went terminally out of time in under 200 rounds. Third one had issues with clearance on the moon clips - some binding, some light strikes. All told, it soured me almost permanently on the concept of a 9mm round gun.

If you're going to haul around a 4-6" revolver, I'm not sure what you're gaining over a .357 - unless you're dead set on only wanting one caliber...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    First one was mis-machined so when loaded it bound the pistol up to the point where it had to be shipped back to S&W loaded. Second went terminally out of time in under 200 rounds. Third one had issues with clearance on the moon clips - some binding, some light strikes. All told, it soured me almost permanently on the concept of a 9mm round gun.

If you're going to haul around a 4-6" revolver, I'm not sure what you're gaining over a .357 - unless you're dead set on only wanting one caliber...

That’s pretty much it. Perhaps need to rethink it, if the options are...that poor.

Site Supporter
    Im a 9mm guy, but my wheel guns are all .38spl or .357. If I were looking for a 4-5" carry wheel gun I'd be looking at a K frame or SP101 loaded with .38+p most likely.

psalms, Have to admit that if I'd had that experience with 9MM revolvers, I'd be soured on them too. Some of the higher pressure ammo, +P+ for instance, will cause sticky extraction in my 940, but otherwise it works just fine. My SP101 handles all the many kinds of ammo I've used with no issues whatsoever. Also had Ruger .357/9MM convertibles and couple S&W 547s. All worked as intended. Just luck of the draw I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List