Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Colloquialisms

Fiddle Sticks, or, Fiddle

Learned from my paternal grandmother, as a statement of exasperation: “well, fiddle sticks,” which can be shortened to “well, fiddle,” or, just “Fiddle.” Notably, if one has can catch an F-bomb in time, “Fiddle sticks” remains useful.

She was from Louisiana, but of German descent, not French.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

From one of my old girlfriends, an Arkansas hill girl, describing a very thorough a**-chewing: “He crawled up his a**, and fell out his nose.”
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    11th Commandant- Maintain Thy Altitude, Lest The Ground Reach up And Smite Thee
    One from Ernest K Gann: Rule books are made of paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

One of my favorites: "Flying the Airplane is More Important than Radioing Your Plight to a Person on the Ground Who is Incapable of Understanding or Doing Anything About It."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    At my old dept. reference taser deployment, “fried em like a piece of steak.”

“You keep that shit up an the only thing that’s gonna beat you to jail is the lights on the police car.”

“We don’t have participation trophies, we have handcuffs.”

From one of my favorite partners, “I may look stupid, but it’s just a disguise.”

When dealing with a bad problem that needs to be handled now, “I got a mule kicking in the stall.”

From my oldest uncle that ranched all his life, “ what happens in the corral, stays in the corral.”

When assessing the difficulty and complexity of a task at hand, “it’s gonna take a lot of gd’s and mf’s to get that done”.

When disrespecting sumdudes wife/girlfriend/ baby momma, “ he won her over with a coke an a candy bar”.

In reference to “not the sharpest knife in the drawer”, “he’s not a butter knife, he’s a wooden spoon”.

“If Cadillacs were a dime a dozen, all I could do is run up an down the hyway hollering ain’t that cheap.”

Coonfingerin, like “ stop coonfingerin that”, means put it down and leave it alone.

I don’t know how to spell it but it’s pronounced, Ching-ga-dare-a. I think it’s mexacan for thingmabob, doohickey, whatcamacallit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post

I don’t know how to spell it but it’s pronounced, Ching-ga-dare-a. I think it’s mexacan for thingmabob, doohickey, whatcamacallit.

Kinda, except think more vulgar and a word which in English starts with 'F' and ends with 'K', maybe adding "ery" at the end.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

As it was explained to me "Chingadera" is Spanish for "thingamajig". I was told it loosely translates into "damn thing" (but was told by another source, the more accurate translation is "f@&king thing").

A quick internet search also points to it meaning "POS".
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Looking like you "did the 50-yard dash in a 49-yard gym."
    Ohh, I'm stealing that one.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    As it was explained to me "Chingadera" is Spanish for "thingamajig". I was told it loosely translates into "damn thing" (but was told by another source, the more accurate translation is "f@&king thing").

A quick internet search also points to it meaning "POS".
    I’m not arguing about the translation, please don’t take it that way.

I asked a second generation Hispanic that was our clerk at work who spoke Mexican and texmex and that was the definition given to me. My wife asked her friend at work (same background) and got the same answer.

I first heard it said by messcan construction workers who kinda grinned when I asked what it means, so I had my doubts about the meaning. Which is why I asked others.

Maybe the definition of the word has morphed or changed or depends on who or how it’s used. I’ve always been carful were I said it.

Sidebar; Ward Bond used the word in My Darling Clementine in 1946. The use of the word was either ok or the sensors didn’t know. Just a point of interest.

I’ll leave this thread drift with a phrase I’ve used that has changed with me.

“I’m just a dumb construction worker.”

“I’m just a dumb detective.”

“I’m just a dumb boomer.”

Back on topic, “technology is only as good as the user’s memory”.

I’m not arguing about the translation, please don’t take it that way...
    Not at all! I am by no means an expert in this subject. I used to work with a guy born in Mexico that, when he wanted a tool or something, he'd point and say "Hand me that chingadera, por favor." English was his second language and my Spanish virtually non-existent. I asked him what "chingadera meant and he looked a little embarrassed and said "In English, you say 'thingamajig'. But more too. It's not a nice word. Like-" He paused, grew redder, then said "English, it means 'damn thing'- or like that."

Later, someone told me "Chinga" is stronger language than that. They said "You know what 'Chinga la madre' means?" and left it at that.

Today, I searched the internet for the proper spelling and one of the definitions that came up was "POS" and another in line with what you mentioned. When I started on my response, being a slow typist, yours (and others) hadn't been posted yet. Being that English is my first and (unless you count Aviation Technolese) only language, I get that phrases can have multiple meanings. But when I say or hear "chingdera", to me it means "thingamajig".
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I’m not arguing about the translation, please don’t take it that way.

Maybe the definition of the word has morphed or changed or depends on who or how it’s used. I’ve always been carful were I said it.
    That's probably right. My experience with the folks who use it (in Mexico) has been that it's rather vulgar and while used widely, it's probably as vulgar as saying "this f**k**g fill in the blank".

I wouldn't be in the least be surprised that depending on the geographical location and/or company, a lot of the colloquialisms presented here could be looked upon as extremely vulgar or just common, or anything in between.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List