Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Colloquialisms

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    One from Ernest K Gann: Rule books are made of paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

One of my favorites: "Flying the Airplane is More Important than Radioing Your Plight to a Person on the Ground Who is Incapable of Understanding or Doing Anything About It."
    An old boss who was an old pilot used to say, "run out of altitude, airspeed and ideas all at the same time."

I've also heard "chingadera" shortened to "chingas." Was told it means the same thing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

“Why are you trying to break into jail?” Asked by my boss as I was about to stir up a hornets nest of trouble, with dubious chance of a successful outcome. I like it, and have stolen it.

"Well dip me in shit and fry me for a hushpuppy"

"I'd rather slam my balls in a car door"

"Like a chicken with a card trick"
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I was born and raised and lived the majority of my life in New Mexico. It's rather difficult to do that without picking up at least *some* Spanish.

Chingas is basically 'Fuck' in Spanish. Chingadera is basically "Fuckin'thing" among the boys in a workshop or job site, pretty commonly used.
    But if you're dating a Hispanic or Latino girl, don't ever let her mother hear you say that. Use it only around the men in her family after a few beers and when the women aren't in ear shot. Or at least, not until they use it first.

"He's got his head so far up his ass he couldn't see the light of day if he were sitting on the surface of the sun with a telescope."

Of someone who spends money on something stupid: "He's got more dollars than sense."
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    An old boss who was an old pilot used to say, "run out of altitude, airspeed and ideas all at the same time."
    The two most useless things to a pilot in distress are the airspace above you and runway behind you
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I used to work with a guy from Lubbock TX and he rolled all sorts of these I'd never heard before or since.

The only two that seemed to stick with me:

"He's lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut."

". . . morals of a low born gutter slut."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Another one I recall hearing in the Army way back; not sure where geographically it came from but ". . . horny as a two pecker billygoat."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The two most useless things to a pilot in distress are the airspace above you and runway behind you
    Also, the air in your fuel tanks and the charts that you left in your car.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Cunnerman or Townie Cunnerman. Person of low birth. Referred to a local family, the Coutermans, the patriarch of which had a septic tank cleaning business and whose family was of mixed races and allegedly the family tree had some overlapping branches.

Butterface. Female who is perceived as attractive when viewed from behind or from the neck down i.e. "but her face."

User Tag List