Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Colloquialisms

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Not at all! I am by no means an expert in this subject. I used to work with a guy born in Mexico that, when he wanted a tool or something, he'd point and say "Hand me that chingadera, por favor." English was his second language and my Spanish virtually non-existent. I asked him what "chingadera meant and he looked a little embarrassed and said "In English, you say 'thingamajig'. But more too. It's not a nice word. Like-" He paused, grew redder, then said "English, it means 'damn thing'- or like that."

Later, someone told me "Chinga" is stronger language than that. They said "You know what 'Chinga la madre' means?" and left it at that.

Today, I searched the internet for the proper spelling and one of the definitions that came up was "POS" and another in line with what you mentioned. When I started on my response, being a slow typist, yours (and others) hadn't been posted yet. Being that English is my first and (unless you count Aviation Technolese) only language, I get that phrases can have multiple meanings. But when I say or hear "chingdera", to me it means "thingamajig".
    An Irish-Mexican family were neighbors- the mom was a famous local restaurateur, and daughter of one of Pancho Villa's lieutenants. She would only use that term with a couple of glasses of wine on board, and her kids were rather strongly encouraged to not talk that way.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Not at all! I am by no means an expert in this subject. I used to work with a guy born in Mexico that, when he wanted a tool or something, he'd point and say "Hand me that chingadera, por favor." English was his second language and my Spanish virtually non-existent. I asked him what "chingadera meant and he looked a little embarrassed and said "In English, you say 'thingamajig'. But more too. It's not a nice word. Like-" He paused, grew redder, then said "English, it means 'damn thing'- or like that."

Later, someone told me "Chinga" is stronger language than that. They said "You know what 'Chinga la madre' means?" and left it at that.

Today, I searched the internet for the proper spelling and one of the definitions that came up was "POS" and another in line with what you mentioned. When I started on my response, being a slow typist, yours (and others) hadn't been posted yet. Being that English is my first and (unless you count Aviation Technolese) only language, I get that phrases can have multiple meanings. But when I say or hear "chingdera", to me it means "thingamajig".
    In my neck of the woods, I wouldn't use it.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That's probably right. My experience with the folks who use it (in Mexico) has been that it's rather vulgar and while used widely, it's probably as vulgar as saying "this f**k**g fill in the blank".

I wouldn't be in the least be surprised that depending on the geographical location and/or company, a lot of the colloquialisms presented here could be looked upon as extremely vulgar or just common, or anything in between.
    So true.

I remember when someone vapor locked over coonfingerin. She was on her way to file a ia complaint and asked me about it. I explained. The word was in reference to how a raccoon will go to water to wash his food or roll the food over in his hands/feet looking at it.

She thought it was a racist slur and still went and asked another person. She got the same answer.

I did have a prosecutor call me and asked what coonfingerin means in a witness statement he was reading. That conversation was more cordial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Being that English is my first and (unless you count Aviation Technolese) only language, I get that phrases can have multiple meanings.
    I have a high functional level of usage in Vulgarian.

Busier than a two-dick dog in a breeding kennel

When my mom was growing up in NJ in the 60s parking on a date was “Watching the submarine races”

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I remember when someone vapor locked over coonfingerin.
    I got a tongue lashing after correctly using the word "niggardly." It might not have been as bad had I been able to stifle my grin at their self righteous ignorance...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    "If you shit him gold eggs he'd bitch they were hard to stack"
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

My DiL is from Mexico. I really should text her asking about Chingadera just to see what kind of fireworks I can get started...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I got a tongue lashing after correctly using the word "niggardly." It might not have been as bad had I been able to stifle my grin at their self righteous ignorance...
    Been there. Done that!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Been there. Done that!
    #metoo
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List