Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Colloquialisms

An old mechanic I used to know often said: "Don't force it just get a
    bigger hammer."

My great uncle used to say, "Here we have nine months of winter and
    three months of bad sledding."
    I am now old enough to say it myself.

Man shes pork chop ugly
    Translation: shes so ugly her daddy had to tie a pork chop around her neck to get the dog to play with her.

Thats plumb fuckin retarded
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Put to pasture
    one foot in the grave
    quiet as a church house mouse
    Put away wet
    acute lead poisoning

Site Supporter
    A new one that came about during this trip to the sandbox;

We've got a younger E4 in another squad that everyone likes - very laid back latino kid from LA that everyone calls 'Chico'. His wit is sharper than hell and he's just one of those naturally hilarious people. But he has this bashful delivery like he feels bad about saying it most of the time. He's a kind heart and we love him for it.

He was telling us the story of where his sister's Quinceañera (basically a sweet sixteen party mixed with family reunion) went awry when the angry drunk uncle that always screws everything up brought his girlfriend nobody liked and her three hoodlum mid-late teenage sons to the party.
    They all get a few beers in them and say something rather offensive to the birthday girl and one of her friends, and the ensuing melee rolled every fighting age male out into the parking lot. As other partygoers were trying to leave, the Police showed up and broke up the fight with a generous application of Sabre Red. He bashfully and hilariously described his involvement in that fight as "It wasn't my proudest moment, but it had to be done"

But because the fight blocked the main entrance/exit to the party venue, a few folks got caught in the pepper spray including a 10 month old baby in a baby carrier.
    His telling of this story had us all rolling and I wish I could do justice to it - but the resulting colloquialism was;

"Time to mace this baby" meaning that we have to do something that sucks that'll have unintended, damaging consequences

Adjusted as needed to include 'baby got maced' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Like a cow looking at a new gate.
    My girlfriend actually uses this one quite a bit. Seems like it's a pretty universal expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    "Close enough for government work."
    My pistol shooting has actually been described with those exact words... Although I do hope I've gotten a tiny bit better since then.

If it flies, floats or f**ks: rent it.

Like a pig lookin at a wristwatch

Like a dog watching color TV

The RCA dog look

Busier than a one-armed paper hanger

Busier than a one legged man at an ass-kicking contest

With a face like a glazed donut

All out of Schlitz

Stripper money (just one dollar bills)

This ain’t rocket science/rocket surgery

Looks like hammered dog shit

Flying related:

Like a high-speed cheerleader (flew right by doing nothing)

Put the thing on the thing and press the thing

A Syrian Lead-turn (the Syrian MiGs would screw up the intercept and turn in front of the Israeli fighter)

All dick, balls and no forehead

Old age and treachery beats youth and a high g-tolerance

Two, Joker, Bingo, Mayday, Lead you appear to be trailing smoke, and I’ve got the fat chick (the only acceptable things a Wingman should ever say)

Haulin’ the mail

KMAGYOYO (Kiss my ass goodbye, you’re on your own)

Like the speed of heat

All out of ideas
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Bugs Bunny era cartoons (especially Foghorn and Daffy) had some of the best quotes ever. That list missed my favorite - "That boy is quieter than a caterpillar walking across a bed of moss wearing sneakers."

My favorite from Daffy - "Well, it was either him or me, and obviously it couldn't be me."
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I'd rather shave my eyeballs

You couldn't detect my interest with the Hubble telescope

When a delivery truck or forklift driver would start laying on the horn to get someone's attention one of our old techs would always say "Horn blows, how about the driver?"
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A flyer of my acquaintance had a list of pithy "Ten Commandments of Flying."
    I recall only
    Remember, the pilot is always the first at the scene of the crash.
    Planes fly because of Bernouli, not Marconi.
    then
    What you don't say over the radio, you won't have to explain at the inquest.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Racing analogy: Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two.

Would you like a beer? Can't dance, and it is too wet to plow.

(Had I done that) My dad woulda kicked my ass so bad I would still need to take off my shirt to shit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List