Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig Classic Series on the way out?

Thank goodness I have my Sig 229 in .357 Sig already. It's the DA/SA model. And I'm 100 percent pleased.

I don't see them going away any time soon but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the P22x series has been in decline. A lot of people don't understand DA/SA, don't want to put the time in on it, and think anything with a hammer is outdated. A lot of those same people are also cheap and don't want to shell out the cash for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I got back into handguns about 4 years ago after a 20+ year hiatus. For a variety of reasons, I started back in with an XD-s in 9mm. Shot the crap out of it for about a year, then wanted something different. Went with a Taurus PT 92, say what you like about Taurus, but it did everything I asked of it, and it helped me figure out what worked best for me. Now, all my centerfire pistols are DA/SA with hammers, decockers, and metal frames. I seriously hope the P22X series never completely dies off, but like most things, this is market driven, and as is all too obvious these days, the market is plastic guns with strikers. Even CZ is succumbing to market pressure, up until a fairly short time ago, they were about the only manufacturer that didn't have a plastic frame or striker in the line-up. Now, they keep expanding these offerings. At least they haven't started dropping the older models (yet). Later.

Dave

I've snagged up a few 229s and 226's in 40 the last few years and none have disappointed. All were built in the early 2000's, so I haven't experienced the QC issues that many describe here. The 229's seem to be very accurate and as long as I can load ammo for them they'll remain in the stable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I purchased new in 2012 a MK25 and a 226 Stainless Steel Elite and the fit and finish is outstanding. And this is coming from a fit and finish snob .
    Over 3k rounds of handloads and not a single hiccup. I keep log books on them so I know .
    At one time I had a P220 and a P228 that I bought new around 1990. To me I couldn’t tell any difference in quality from the old to the new .

A friend has two 226's. Both fairly new, I've shot them both. I'm not seeing anything wrong with that model. I had a 229 and sold it, not that great. I've had an older 239 for about 5 years and very pleased with it, but alas they discontinued the model. I would buy another one in 9mm but people just want too much money because they're excellent pistols and becoming scarce.

Strikers are all the rage but not my cup of tea. I probably won't be buying anymore Sigs.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-08-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I still have the first handgun I ever bought in 1997, a Sig P220 in .45 ACP. I sent it in for trigger work and wound up with essentially a SRT before there ever was such a thing readily available. Everybody that I’ve let shoot it wants it. I’ll never get rid of it, although it’s a safe queen now. Having said all that, I am not a fan of the current Sig offerings or the current company.

Site Supporter
    I have shot the 226/229 guns for years. About 2 years ago I passed 30,000 rounds on the first 226 I bought, and the 4-5 that I currently own have all been great for me. However, I saw so many problems out of sig guns (rifles and pistols) when I was managing a gun range, and it was common to have customers bring in new sigs to shoot and have issues, that I can't really recommend them anymore, which is a shame. When people ask what I am shooting, I usually add that if I could get a red dot on a Beretta 92 as easily as a 226/229, I could finally get rid of these and start stocking up on LTT Berettas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If Sig had only put the DAK in the P250. It would be a perfect combo for *ME*.
    Have you considered an exorcism ?

My Agency issued the DAK and as one of the LSP’s said “DAK sucks all the fun out of shooting a classic SIG.”

It was a big hit with agency sales and I have one for nostalgia but TDA is The Way when it comes to classic SIGs.

For reference I ran a firearms program for 700 plus officers firing over 800k rounds per year.

The classic SIGs are accurate and they are very reliable IF you do the appropriate preventive maintenance. Though guns were supposed to be swapped out at 10k rounds we ha some that went 20 or 30k and were still going strong when swapped out with proper PMCS and spring changes.

That said, the era of metal framed service guns is over. Cost and weight make them non factors for organizational use.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-08-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Have you considered an exorcism ?

My Agency issued the DAK and as one of the LSP’s said “DAK sucks all the fun out of shooting a classic SIG.”

It was a big hit with agency sales and I have one for nostalgia but TDA is The Way when it comes to classic SIGs.

Lol. I have always been a rebel. It's a blessing and curse.

The DAK was not that horrible for me, and combined with the P250, I think it would be a great option.

User Tag List