Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Racking Slide Too Hard, Causing Malfunction?

Looking at the pictures, I think I see the problem — that Glock is too clean to run reliably. Bad jokes aside, has there been discussion of just sending it back to Glock for repair?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Looking at the pictures, I think I see the problem — that Glock is too clean to run reliably. Bad jokes aside, has there been discussion of just sending it back to Glock for repair?
    LOL. I'm anal about weapons maintenance.

I've seen it mentioned here and that's probably going to be my next step assuming the parts kit I have on order doesn't fix the problem(s). Although I would hate to do that.

How would you recommend I go about starting that process if I do need to send it back? Should I call and explain the situation and send pictures/video? Can I submit a "trouble shooting ticket" package so they know what the issues are when the pistol arrives?

My experience with GLOCK customer service has been generally positive. Many on this site have had positive experiences also, I believe.
    I think simply call GLOCK and ask for customer service. They can guide you from there.

If an owner decides to send in a Glock for repair, there's a warranty form found on this weblink:

https://us.glock.com/en/downloadable-materials

Fill out the form and send your Glock using the instructions provided. For the OP's case, write up the problems as detailed as can be. Definitely provide a phone number as Glock has typically called me to further discuss any issues once the gun was received and the Armorer is actually working with the gun.

Further Advice. I typically use FEDEX and I don't buy additional insurance; and although FEDEX needs you to ship using a one-day service, I believe FEDEX has three one-day services and I use the less expensive afternoon delivery, all to save money. The last time I shipped I think the price was ~$55.

Other. Looking at the video, it seems to me the slide-lock temporarily gets stuck in the down position before the slide comes off. Perhaps there's a burr of some sort either on the frame or the slide-lock. The OP bending the slide-lock spring a bit to put more tension on the slide-lock may or may not cure the problem, but that should also be disclosed in the warranty-form write-up.

If you want to reference a video or an internet forum thread or even include the video on some type of media, like a USB drive, perhaps that might help, but I've never tried doing so.

If you want to call to ask any questions or confirm anything before just shipping your Glock to them, just call them during their normal business hours M-F (closed on typical holidays). Although Glock has some stated timeframe of a few weeks, my experience was Glock will get the gun back to the owner in ~a week. They will usually rebuild the gun with any of the latest parts versions, if needed or even if not needed, including the mags, and ship the gun back with no additional charges for parts or return shipping. In this case I didn't see anything which would cause Glock to determine the owner/user caused any damage or broke anything, which would be a cause for Glock to want to charge for anything else. However, the warranty-form does ask for charge card info should you want to provide that just-in-case or request additional services (e.g. night sight installation). Remove any parts you wish to keep and ship the gun back with old parts if you have such issues (e.g. replace that aftermarket connector with a stock one as Glock will definitely replace an aftermarket connector with a stock one, but the aftermarket connector may get thrown out or lost).

Note Glock's caveat regarding not being able to ship back standard-capacity mags if your return address is in a state limiting mag capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    If an owner decides to send in a Glock for repair, there's a warranty form found on this weblink:

https://us.glock.com/en/downloadable-materials

Fill out the form and send your Glock using the instructions provided. For the OP's case, write up the problems as detailed as can be. Definitely provide a phone number as Glock has typically called me to further discuss any issues once the gun was received and the Armorer is actually working with the gun.

Further Advice. I typically use FEDEX and I don't buy additional insurance; and although FEDEX needs you to ship using a one-day service, I believe FEDEX has three one-day services and I use the less expensive afternoon delivery, all to save money. The last time I shipped I think the price was ~$55.

Other. Looking at the video, it seems to me the slide-lock temporarily gets stuck in the down position before the slide comes off. Perhaps there's a burr of some sort either on the frame or the slide-lock. The OP bending the slide-lock spring a bit to put more tension on the slide-lock may or may not cure the problem, but that should also be disclosed in the warranty-form write-up.

If you want to reference a video or an internet forum thread or even include the video on some type of media, like a USB drive, perhaps that might help, but I've never tried doing so.

If you want to call to ask any questions or confirm anything before just shipping your Glock to them, just call them during their normal business hours M-F (closed on typical holidays). Although Glock has some stated timeframe of a few weeks, my experience was Glock will get the gun back to the owner in ~a week. They will usually rebuild the gun with any of the latest parts versions, if needed or even if not needed, including the mags, and ship the gun back with no additional charges for parts or return shipping. In this case I didn't see anything which would cause Glock to determine the owner/user caused any damage or broke anything, which would be a cause for Glock to want to charge for anything else. However, the warranty-form does ask for charge card info should you want to provide that just-in-case or request additional services (e.g. night sight installation). Remove any parts you wish to keep and ship the gun back with old parts if you have such issues (e.g. replace that aftermarket connector with a stock one as Glock will definitely replace an aftermarket connector with a stock one, but the aftermarket connector may get thrown out or lost).

Note Glock's caveat regarding not being able to ship back standard-capacity mags if your return address is in a state limiting mag capacities.

Thanks for the informative write up detailing the steps/process I'll need to take should I decide to go that route. I'll be getting the parts kit today at some point so I should have a better idea of if I'll need to send it back. Everything is stock on the pistol except for the sights so I should be good to go.

I'll keep you guys updated. Also, the video I uploaded was accidentally taken down. Below is a link to the video again should someone else stumble across the forum and have any questions or insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeUQ6nXyi_Y

I took my pistol to AIM Surplus this afternoon to have a gentleman who works there and I've known for some time take a look at it. We replaced the internals of the frame and there was wear on the back side of the cruciform as well as on the firing pin lug where the two meet. He said that is what was causing my trigger to slip/not reset.

He said by looking below the slide cover plate he could see around 50% of my cruciform underneath the lug and that they should be flush or you should barely see any of the cruciform. After fixing it you can still see a sliver but not much.

My slide lock spring was worn and had worked itself a bit out of being properly seated and was flush with its channel rather than below or all the way down in the channel. Looking at my slide lock there was also marring and there was marring on my barrel lug too.

I have between 10-15K rounds through the pistol and he said he'd never seen a pistol with a round count that low look the way it did. I told him I dry fire a crazy amount and that must be what caused all of the wear to the cruciform and firing pin lug.

I really appreciate all of the help. Let me know if you guys have any questions or comments. Also, I learned a lot about the way Glocks functioned and if there's any knowledge you guys want to drop it would be much appreciated.

User Tag List