Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okie's Ruger Blackhawk .45 ACP/.45 Colt Converible

Site Supporter

Okie's Ruger Blackhawk .45 ACP/.45 Colt Converible

Okie had one for sale. I ask that he give us a report on accuracy and handling. This model is an uncommon variation.

Late last summer I stumbled onto a Ruger new Model Blackhawk Flattop 45 Convertible. Ruger made 500 of these in blue with 5 ½” barrels, 500 with 4 5/8” barrels, and 500 of each barrel length in stainless. Total production as I understand it was just these 2,000 pieces.

I’ve written about the different levels of 45 Colt loads at https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....olt-Magnumized so I won’t repeat that here. Suffice it to say that I was looking for performance in the Tier II range (250 grains at 1,100 fps) with the ability to shoot Tier III loads should the need arise. I was in the mood for a revolver to hunt deer, elk, hogs, and maybe bear, so I bought it before I realized that it’s on the New Vaquero frame and not safe with “Ruger Only” Tier III loads. It came with cylinders for 45 Colt and 45 ACP.

Ruger has been inattentive to 45 Colt throat diameters for quite some time, but apparently Lipsey’s ensured that Ruger used the correct throat and chamber dimensions on these. You can read more about these guns at http://buffalobore.net/HandloaderDecJan2012.pdf and at https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...246partial.pdf. A few weeks later, I stumbled into a stainless New Model Blackhawk that is safe for the hotter Ruger Only loads. Someone had already had the throats opened up, done a trigger job, and added Bowen sights (about $325 worth of upgrades at local prices) and it was already priced about $100 too low so I snagged it and compared the two guns side by side for a while.

The NMBH has the XR3-RED grip frame, while the FT has the XR3. Much has been made of the differences between these two, but shooting them side by side I found far less actual difference than I expected. The excellent diagram of various Ruger centerfire revolver grip frames overlaid at https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm shows what I mean. Of the two I very slightly prefer the XR3, but not enough to expend any time or treasure to get one over the other.

Load Testing
    • Most 230-grain FMJ loads chronographed around 825-860 fps.
    • The American Eagle 225-grain SHP load did about the same but wasn’t particularly accurate.
    • One handload with 230-grain XTP bullets loaded to near 45 Super levels ran 966 fps and was accurate enough that my 45 ACP load development stopped right there.
    • Throats on the FT were slightly tighter than on the NMBH, enough so that it wouldn’t chamber rounds loaded with a 0.452" 270-grain RCBS SAA bullet from Montana Bullet Works (https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...092-270gr-saa/). FWIW, this design is all the hotness right now. Apparently Dave Scovill designed it for use in the Colt SAA. The nose length is 0.375” so it will fit in the SAA cylinder and it usually weighs 285 grains when cast of wheel weight metal. It DID shoot several sub-three-inch groups at 25 yards with the same design from another caster. This is a dimensional issue and in no way the fault of Montana Bullet Works or their products, which are superbly accurate in the NMBH. This bullet was very accurate with charges from 8-9 grains of Unique. Velocities in both guns ran from 860 fps to about 960 fps.
    • I also tested a 255 true Keith from Montana Bullet Works over the same charges. Both loads shot well with relatively mild recoil, although POI varied between them by about 8 inches at 50 yards for windage.
    • I also tested the 200-grain Barnes XPB in both guns. At an advertised 1,025 fps, it kicked about like a 38 Special in both guns. This could be a game changer for the 45 Colt, but I haven’t researched it or shot enough of it to say yet.

What did I learn?
    • The 45 Flat Top is a slick little piece. If I didn’t perceive a need to shoot Tier III Loads on occasion, then I would have kept it. The added weight of the NMBH doesn't seem to matter until you get to Tier III loads, at which point you're better off with a Bisley.
    • 45 ACP ammo is cheaper than 38 or 357. You can load it down but not up, and +P loads get very close to Goldilocks ballistics (250 grains at 1,000 fps). The real limit is range.
    • The 45 Colt can go up or down, but factory ammo is either Tier I or Tier III, so a New Model convertible would be better than a Ruger Flat Top or New Vaquero for a traveling hunter who might have an airline lose his bags.
    • The 44 Magnum is a better logistical choice for a traveling hunter. Decent ammo is widely available, much like the 30-06. Most factory loads are accurate and about the right power level if a bit on the hot side, but cowboy ammo may work in some cases.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The revolver in question is a nice piece and I was seriously tempted by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Many thanks for the precise and knowledgeable review!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I can't get the Rifle Magazine link to work. Just goes to a default page.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I can't get the Rifle Magazine link to work. Just goes to a default page.
    That might be Wolfe Publishing's way of forcing you to buy a back issue.

Okie Jon
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    The revolver in question is a nice piece and I was seriously tempted by it.
    You can still find them NIB. I saw a couple today, both blued, one of each barrel length. Price was $750-ish.

Okie John

I have one of the SS ones with the 4 5/8" barrel. Bought it new in 1994 and sent it directly to Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision in New Hope, GA.

He crowned the barrel. recut the forcing cone, adjusted the headspace, cylinder end play, and barrel cylinder gap, did an action job, and lightened the hammer. The work cost almost exactly what the gun did.

I installed a Millet adjustable rear sight and some faux ivory grips (can't remember who made them), and still have it after all these years. It's a great "Packin' Pistol" and I have been able to work up several good hand loads using Hercules Unique, Hercules 2400, and Hodgdon H110 powder with 260 gr. hard cast and Nosler 250 gr. JHP bullets. Really like this revolver, and it just doesn't seem like it was 26 years ago that I bought it!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have one of the SS ones with the 4 5/8" barrel. Bought it new in 1994 and sent it directly to Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision in New Hope, GA.

He crowned the barrel. recut the forcing cone, adjusted the headspace, cylinder end play, and barrel cylinder gap, did an action job, and lightened the hammer. The work cost almost exactly what the gun did.

I installed a Millet adjustable rear sight and some faux ivory grips (can't remember who made them), and still have it after all these years. It's a great "Packin' Pistol" and I have been able to work up several good hand loads using Hercules Unique, Hercules 2400, and Hodgdon H110 powder with 260 gr. hard cast and Nosler 250 gr. JHP bullets. Really like this revolver, and it just doesn't seem like it was 26 years ago that I bought it!
    The ones I'm writing about are the Flat Top models, which were introduced in 2012. You may be thinking of something else.

I wish that Jim Stroh was still working. He truly understood revolvers, and he made the best-looking 5" Model 29 conversions I've ever seen.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    You can still find them NIB. I saw a couple today, both blued, one of each barrel length. Price was $750-ish.

Okie John
    They're still listed on Ruger's website. I kept going back and forth between a 4 5/8th" stainless one and the Bisley I eventually got. I might still get a flat top because it's 7 ounces lighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List