Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Okie's Ruger Blackhawk .45 ACP/.45 Colt Converible

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    However....Ive also tended towards skinnier bullets the past couple years, and find myself blasphemously thinking a flat top in 357/9 would be dandy. If i can just get someone to make me a decent front sight for it, Id be in trouble. Sadly, there doesnt seem to be a source for Colt Flat Top Target front sights at this point. Brownells used to carry the Uberti parts, but no longer.
    I don't know if 2Dogs has anything that would work but you might look here: https://fermincgarza.com/shop If he doesn't, he might be able to work up something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I still sit here and look at the pics of it in the for sale listing and try to figure out what I need to sell to get one.
    Anything that doesn't come out of the safe that you're not sentimentally attached to. A mid-frame 4 5/8" .45 convertible with a satin stainless finish is a dream revolver for me. I recently picked up a blue, 4 5/8" large frame .45 convertible and while I enjoy it, it's just bigger than I need it to be since I'm not running romp'em stomp'em hunting loads. That almost Colt-sized mid-frame is the ticket for my shooting pleasure.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

As cool as my large frame Bisley .45 is I should have gotten a 4 5/8ths flat top. Not that the Bisley is any heavier than my N-frames.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

How much lighter are the flat tops in real life? Their website says it weighs the same as my old 4 5/8" blued .45 colt.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How much lighter are the flat tops in real life? Their website says it weighs the same as my old 4 5/8" blued .45 colt.
    I don't think the listed weights are accurate because I think I remember different barrel length's having the same weight. That said, my large frame Bisley is listed at 43oz and a 4 5/8th" flat top is listed at 36oz.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I don't think the listed weights are accurate because I think I remember different barrel length's having the same weight. That said, my large frame Bisley is listed at 43oz and a 4 5/8th" flat top is listed at 36oz.
    My old blackhawk weighs 36oz as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My .45 Convertible Flattop came with a stainless XR3 frame. I replaced that with an aluminum one to make it a bit lighter, which was the right move as far as I am concerned. Really like the lightweight way it feels in the hand, and the balance. Here is the pic on the scale:

I was up at the cabin last week. First with my dad, then with kids. I took my G30S and the Flattop for handguns. We went to a river on one of the days and naturally I had the Flattop on that day instead of the Glock. That of course would be the day I went and slipped on wet river rocks and went for a dip. I went for a walk along the river and maybe get a pic or two and check stuff out. I guess you could say I was "wet molding" my Sparks leather.

No matter, it dried out in 10 minutes after I washed out the muck.

A lot of guys might be pissed, but I didn't get too mad, as I buy guns to carry and use. The Flattop is certainly my nicest single action, but if it gets a few wear and tear marks from "adventures", so be it. That is life in the Rockies.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yup, if I buy another, it will be stainless.

Also need to get a 200AW order placed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    My .45 Convertible Flattop came with a stainless XR3 frame. I replaced that with an aluminum one to make it a bit lighter, which was the right move as far as I am concerned. Really like the lightweight way it feels in the hand, and the balance. Here is the pic on the scale:

I was up at the cabin last week. First with my dad, then with kids. I took my G30S and the Flattop for handguns. We went to a river on one of the days and naturally I had the Flattop on that day instead of the Glock. That of course would be the day I went and slipped on wet river rocks and went for a dip. I went for a walk along the river and maybe get a pic or two and check stuff out. I guess you could say I was "wet molding" my Sparks leather.

No matter, it dried out in 10 minutes after I washed out the muck.

A lot of guys might be pissed, but I didn't get too mad, as I buy guns to carry and use. The Flattop is certainly my nicest single action, but if it gets a few wear and tear marks from "adventures", so be it. That is life in the Rockies.
    Lol, my blackhawk has gone swimming a few times in my el passo saddlery threepersons.

I once had my canoe capsize in april and it got caught under a log jam. My walker was stuck underneath and the water was rushing pushing the canoe down so it took everything I had to pull it loose while I was chest deep in cold april water.

Fortunately he was none the worse for wear and he still loved to canoe afterwards.

Ill try to get some nicer pics of my blackhawk when I get my mernickle holster.

That had to be a very heart pounding moment. People not familiar don't understand the power of water. Trying to fight it can be almost impossible. A stuck canoe with your best buddy's life on the line would be a one of those "never forget" deals. Cold water saps your strengths quickly too.

My old patrol partner and I did a rescue of a family from out of state that was not familiar with a particular stretch of one of our rivers years ago. They launched canoes upstream of an area that looked calm. Problem was they were just above some pretty good whitewater and not prepared at all for it. Little kids ended up on boulders, canoe capsized, it was a little ugly. My partner and I did some quick rope work and I went for a swim. Clipped people on one by one and did our thing. By the time the rescue boats got there we were on the last person but I was so exhausted I had to have them pull me into the boat. I was about a rag doll at that point. The cold water had zapped every bit of strength from me. I caught a cold as I recall.

Water, especially cold water is no joke.

User Tag List