Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Okie's Ruger Blackhawk .45 ACP/.45 Colt Converible

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The ones I'm writing about are the Flat Top models, which were introduced in 2012. You may be thinking of something else.

I wish that Jim Stroh was still working. He truly understood revolvers, and he made the best-looking 5" Model 29 conversions I've ever seen.

Okie John
    I understand that Mr. Stroh passed away a couple years ago.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    They're still listed on Ruger's website. I kept going back and forth between a 4 5/8th" stainless one and the Bisley I eventually got. I might still get a flat top because it's 7 ounces lighter.
    If I was going to get a revolver in .45 Colt that was only up to Tier 2 loads, I couldn't get past a 25-5.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If I was going to get a revolver in .45 Colt that was only up to Tier 2 loads, I couldn't get past a 25-5.
    I was thinking I might have occasion to carry it and a flat top .45 is relatively light for a Blackhawk. And 99% of the time it would have the ACP cylinder in it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I have a SS Bisley with an ACP cylinder and it is fun to shoot. I just use is for plinking with my son, but in the Bisley there is no recoil to speak of and it whacks the steel pretty good.

I have been tempted by the Flat Top models, but have thus far stayed away. I think a 4 5/8" FT would make a great packing pistol.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've recently learned of about the Accusport special Blackhawks.

Not flattops. Bisley, stainless, 5.5-in barrels. .357, .41, .44 and .45. Some but not all of the .45s came with both cylinders. It appears the .45 Colt cylinders were fluted, and the Auto cylinders were smooth.

I might be on the lookout. I have factory ammo, bullets, and dies for .44. I'm also attracted to the idea of cheaper factory ball and standard defensive ammo in the .45 Auto cylinder.

Nobody needs to say "get both."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Nobody needs to say "get both."
    This is Pistol-Forum. Unless you've already ordered both, somebody has to say it.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    This is Pistol-Forum. Unless you've already ordered both, somebody has to say it.
    Get both.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Get both.

Okie John
    Balance has been restored and all is right with the world once again.

The mid-sized flat tops appeal to me greatly. I have a full size if I want to shoot the top end loads, though I think Ive shot about 150-200 all told of the upper end stuff suggested by Mr Linebaugh over the past 30 years or so Ive had it. I dont get out in the bear brush like I used to for various reasons, so the need is even less at this point. The carry weight has become more of a thing as well, so the skinnier gun sounds good. All good rationalization for one.

However....Ive also tended towards skinnier bullets the past couple years, and find myself blasphemously thinking a flat top in 357/9 would be dandy. If i can just get someone to make me a decent front sight for it, Id be in trouble. Sadly, there doesnt seem to be a source for Colt Flat Top Target front sights at this point. Brownells used to carry the Uberti parts, but no longer.

Edit: None of the above should be construed to mean I dont like my current 45s, which I can sit and handle and mess with and simply enjoy looking at them, something I dont seem able to do with mostly stock Rugers, The tools would have to come out the minute it came through the door, probably before it was shot. Its a curse at times, being detail oriented in that way.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Get both.

Okie John
    I hope whoever got your .45 Flattop is loving it. I still sit here and look at the pics of it in the for sale listing and try to figure out what I need to sell to get one.

User Tag List