Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on 6920 LE

Site Supporter
    That is less than I paid for my LE6920 12 years ago on department letterhead....brand new in box, shipped to the agency...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 6920 that’s never been fired. Manufactured in 2016. Includes original box and soft case. Also selling 400 rounds of Federal XM193 as part of the package. He wants $1000 for the package and won’t sell the rifle separately.

Looking on target sports I see the ammo is worth maybe $140 making the real price of the rifle $860.

Do I make this purchase or not? I’m not in the know enough to know what these are worth now but I know the 6920 is a solid build to start with.
    Buy it.

If I had $1000 to spend on an AR today it probably wouldn’t be on a Colt 6920. There are much better bangs for the buck out there in today’s market. Especially if you are going to “build” on it, I would get an option with all the bells and whistles you want out of the gate. I have shot a bunch of Colt 6920’s at work including more recent manufactured samples. The ability to mount accessories where you want them is limited and the triggers are meh.

For $1000 I would recommend the PWS MK116 Pro. I know this is not a classic DI pattern AR, but probably better than the Colt in regards to handling and shooting in every respect. And the company has great customer service should you ever need it. I make that statement having shot a MK116 Mod2 extensively. The Pro is a more economical version of that gun: https://www.primaryweapons.com/mk116-pro-rifle

Site Supporter
    I’m not sold on piston ARs. If it was full auto? Then a piston might merit. Don’t forget that a 6920 is a Colt. That will mean something if you want to sell it. I have colts and BCMs. Most gun owners are what’s a BCM? I have learned that if the only reason you are picking a certain model is because it’s cheaper you might have buyers remorse in the future. If it’s apples vs oranges maybe not. Such as a S&w 642 vs a Glock 19. Similar ball park but different uses. A palmetto arms AR, a S&w AR , and a Colt AR. If they were priced the same which would you pick? When friends ask me for cheaper suggestions I ask them if Chevy and Hyundai both made corvettes ? Which would you want? It’s just as good but cheaper sounds silly then. Some times less expensive works fine- Glock vs HK is a good example. Glock vs Taurus ?

Yeah I don’t think the piston PWS does anything particularly better than a properly gassed DI gun (other than I appreciate the PWS upper receiver doesn’t get as dirty).

However, for $1000 the PWS comes with a better trigger, rail, stock, and grip. Personally, I buy guns to shoot them (a lot) so resale value doesn’t really register with me. I have shot both a Colt and PWS extensively and the PWS is a more satisfying gun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    If I had $1000 to spend on an AR today it probably wouldn’t be on a Colt 6920. There are much better bangs for the buck out there in today’s market. Especially if you are going to “build” on it, I would get an option with all the bells and whistles you want out of the gate. I have shot a bunch of Colt 6920’s at work including more recent manufactured samples. The ability to mount accessories where you want them is limited and the triggers are meh.

For $1000 I would recommend the PWS MK116 Pro. I know this is not a classic DI pattern AR, but probably better than the Colt in regards to handling and shooting in every respect. And the company has great customer service should you ever need it. I make that statement having shot a MK116 Mod2 extensively. The Pro is a more economical version of that gun: https://www.primaryweapons.com/mk116-pro-rifle
    Colt's resale is second to none.

Something to consider for the casual AR user/buyer/seller.

I have two 6920's and love them. They have been 100% with every thing that I have put into them. I like to shoot a lot and not into heavily mod'd AR's; I like them simple and clean. The Colts have done that for me in spades. I would buy that in a heart beat even though I don't really need a 3rd 6920. I also have an old Eagle Arms A2 variant that has been solid and a Smith M&P Sport that is OK, but does not run like the Colts or the Eagle Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 6920 that’s never been fired. Manufactured in 2016. Includes original box and soft case. Also selling 400 rounds of Federal XM193 as part of the package. He wants $1000 for the package and won’t sell the rifle separately.

Looking on target sports I see the ammo is worth maybe $140 making the real price of the rifle $860.

Do I make this purchase or not? I’m not in the know enough to know what these are worth now but I know the 6920 is a solid build to start with.
    As I understand the situation:
    Unfired Colt from 2016, box and soft case.
    140 rounds of decent ammo.
    Face to face sale.
    Fair price for both parties.

Given the same situation I would go for it.
    For what it's worth.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Colt has temporarily stepped out of the civilian AR market as they have done several times over the years. Likely because the AR market is the softest it’s been in 30 years. Supply outstrips demand at the moment.

Occult 6920 is a solid rifle and it is pretty much the benchmark against which other ERs are compared. They usually fall in as better or worse.

The price is fair. Not a screaming bargain but certainly fair market value.
    Actually, HCM, while the commercial market is soft, Colt's foreign mil business for M4 carbines is booming, to the point it made no sense to build com guns that were going to sit on shelves when they could be using their workforce and plant to make money (lots of money).

The price on this one is OK and I'll take a 6920 over virtually all the basic guns out there, every time.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Actually, HCM, while the commercial market is soft, Colt's foreign mil business for M4 carbines is booming, to the point it made no sense to build com guns that were going to sit on shelves when they could be using their workforce and plant to make money (lots of money).

The price on this one is OK and I'll take a 6920 over virtually all the basic guns out there, every time.
    Should I put an Aimpoint PRO on it?

Thanks for everyone’s replies. I appreciate the input.

User Tag List