Jim Cirillo rarely if ever carried J-frames. He preferred Colt D-frames for small frame snubs. He liked that the rubber Safariland speedloaders of the time fit the K-frame Smiths and D-frame Colts alike. The sights on the small Colts were way better than the tiny ones on the contemporaneous J-frames. Short D-Colts fit his pockets better than 2" Ks, even with round butts.

On duty when he was on Stakeout, the time I went out with him on duty for a magazine article, he was carrying a 4" Model 10 Heavy Barrel strong side hip, a 4" Model 10 "skinny barrel" front crossdraw, and his 2" Colt Cobra with a hammer shroud in a pocket. He told me he sometimes carried a Walther PPK .380 (TOTALLY against department regs) in a belly band behind his belt buckle, too.

When I was out with him in New York when he was off duty, he had the shrouded Cobra in his right front trouser pocket.

Toward the end of his life, Jim Cirillo was a Glock guy: G30 .45 for primary and G27 .40 for backup.

As to carrying three, I like Dave Kenik's approach. Fighting caliber serious auto on right hip. Shrouded .38 snub left side pocket, allowing him to stand with hand already on gun without looking threatening. Compact auto or revolver in ankle holster, in part for driving because he liked cool cars with bucket seats that made the hip holster awkward to get at.

AND...the best line in the business to explain the multiple handguns.

When asked "OMG, why do you carry three guns?!?" David's answer was classic:

"Four would be ostentatious."