Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CBP RFI for pistol red dot sights.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That would be a whole lotta guns to replace, especially that Glock doesn't really benefit from it in regards to this particular contract.

Would be interesting to see how industry responds to it. I've got to say, I think ACRO's cross-bolt attachment is its second best feature after its closed emitter. Getting rid of small screws with all of their problems is great, I wish all optics attached that way. I'd be disappoint if Aimpoint tried to revise this part of their design.
    I agree with the ACRO Mount being a great design. I have some doubts that Sig’s new design will have all the benefits of other closed optics. How do they plan of controlling fogging without it being purged? Also it isn’t IPX8 rated. I think the Border patrol is more likely than most LE to find themselves wading through water. Then again I don’t know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post

Given the relative newness of CBP officers being full-time LEOs, that org looks at the aging workforce reality a bit differently than most other LEAs, and I suspect that this is emblematic of that.
    No but yes-

CBP has approximately 45,000 LEOs. All of them are and have been full-time since the creation of CBP and the department of homeland security. I think you meant covered under LE retirement but the is only true of CBP OFO which is less than half the agency.

There are a little over 20,000 LEO in the US border patrol which is part of CBP. Like the Marine Corps being part of the Navy the border patrol likes to downplay the fact that they are part of CBP. A little over 20,000 in the CBP office of field operations (OFO) which performs the prior functions of US immigration and US customs inspectors at ports of entry. These officers wear blue uniforms and are now known as CBP Officers or “CBPO.” Finally, there approximately 3000 to 4000 in the CBP Air and Marine Operations branch (AMO).

Up until a few years ago, only certain members of the CBP OFO had “6c” law-enforcement retirement coverage Which in the federal system has traditionally meant in by 37 and out by 57. While CBP OFO Officers Or still not “6c” covered, They recently got their own unique form of law-enforcement retirement as opposed to regular federal civil service retirement.

Both US BP and AMO have been “6c” covered since prior to the creation of DHS/CBP.

Even for 6C Positions CBP and border patrol have generally extended the entry age to in by 40 and out by 60. Many other agencies are allowing 6C covered personnel to do extensions to 60 if they can pass fitness for duty examinations. Some federal law-enforcement agencies are also allowing US military veterans to enter on duty above the age of 37 or 40 but maintaining the mandatory retirement ages of 57 or 60. The catch is that to get the higher 6C/LE Retirement rate one must do 20 years of 6C covered time so those entering on duty beyond 37 or 40 will receive a reduced pension versus those who completed a full term.

In many local police departments it is not uncommon for officers to enter on duty between the ages of 20 and 25 and retire in their early 40s, Similar to the US military. Due to the nature of federal law-enforcement positions and their entry requirements most federal LE enter on duty between 25 and 35 And it is now trending to entering on duty between 25 and 40. Given that most people start having age related changes to their vision between 40 and 45 this is a concern for all federal agencies.

For example, due to the entry requirements and the background needed to be a competitive candidate, which usually exceeds the minimum requirements, most FBI Agents are prior military officer, prior LE, prior professionals, have graduate degrees etc etc so many of their new recruits now a days are in their 30s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I agree with the ACRO Mount being a great design. I have some doubts that Sig’s new design will have all the benefits of other closed optics. How do they plan of controlling fogging without it being purged? Also it isn’t IPX8 rated. I think the Border patrol is more likely than most LE to find themselves wading through water. Then again I don’t know.
    I don’t know about wading through water but more likely to be outdoors at all hours and in all types of weather conditions so fogging due to temperature changes and Ambient humidity would definitely be a concern

Given the relative newness of CBP officers being full-time LEOs, that org looks at the aging workforce reality a bit differently than most other LEAs, and I suspect that this is emblematic of that.

Just to further cover the point, the CBP Officer position (series 1895), has been receiving the enhanced LEO retirement package for all time post July 6th, 2008. Those on board prior to that date were grandfathered in with no mandatory retirement age. Those after, have to retire by age 57.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post

Just to further cover the point, the CBP Officer position (series 1895), has been receiving the enhanced LEO retirement package for all time post July 6th, 2008. Those on board prior to that date were grandfathered in with no mandatory retirement age. Those after, have to retire by age 57.
    It’s 6d coverage, yes ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s 6d coverage, yes ?
    No. They did not extend LE retirement coverage by amending either 6c/12d. Congress passed stand alone, new legislation PL 110-161, to extend the same benefit (the math works out the same as if doing your 20 years under traditional 6c/12d position).

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    CBP would be better off pressuring Glock to make optic ready direct milled slides for the optic footprint of their choice.
    But wouldn’t that marry them to an optic? Would an agency buy M-4’s if they came with an optic and only that optic worked with it?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    But wouldn’t that marry them to an optic? Would an agency buy M-4’s if they came with an optic and only that optic worked with it?
    I think what we're seeing with the M17 is the way to go. DPP standard footprint. Either make your optic to the DPP footprint or use an adapter plate. I'm sure Trijicon is working on a RMR/SRO for the DPP footprint; they'd be crazy to pass on potential military contracts.

But at least one optic option should be a direct mount to a slide. Interface plates suck.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    No. They did not extend LE retirement coverage by amending either 6c/12d. Congress passed stand alone, new legislation PL 110-161, to extend the same benefit (the math works out the same as if doing your 20 years under traditional 6c/12d position).
    I’m aware of the stand alone, I thought I was codified under 6d.

Here is more than you would ever want to know about it... https://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09727.pdf

Suffice to say between extensions to 60, many agencies raising Entry age to 40 and the MSPB Isabella decision allowing veterans to partially wave entry age restrictions all federal LE needs to be concerned with their “aging workforce.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I think what we're seeing with the M17 is the way to go. DPP standard footprint. Either make your optic to the DPP footprint or use an adapter plate. I'm sure Trijicon is working on a RMR/SRO for the DPP footprint; they'd be crazy to pass on potential military contracts.

But at least one optic option should be a direct mount to a slide. Interface plates suck.

The endpoint ACRO mounting system seems to be the best option for closed emitter optics.

I can’t think of anyone who would be better served with a closed emitter optic vs an open emitter than the military though USBP is pretty close.

User Tag List