Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CBP RFI for pistol red dot sights.

Sig had an optic at SHOT , can't keep up with the models numbers so I can remember what it was called, that had a clip on section that enclosed the emitter. I'm sure Trijicon , Leupold etc could do something similar.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don’t think that would take much pressuring — bet an order for 1,000 pistols would get Glock programming the machines to make an Acro cut instead of MOS.
    Glock will make whatever their R&D guys want them to make in small batches. But that's not going to solve anything for them. Especially since at this time CBP doesn't authorize any pistol mounted optic on their duty weapons.

Optics come and go in very short amounts of time. The darliings of five years ago are not the darlings of today. MOS makes the most sense when you're outfitting an agency as large as CBP.

Even if Glock made a new slide it won't help CBP. They are not going to replace the slides on the pistols they have.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Even if Glock made a new slide it won't help CBP. They are not going to replace the slides on the pistols they have.
    How many will need to be replaced? I mean, how many of those 47s have been fielded so far?
    SIG replaced a bunch of M17s for the Army just because of mismatched colors on the controls. If Glock - Aimpoint collaboration locks them the duty dot / host market , it very well may be Glock's spending some $$ on it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Around 15 to 20 thousand have been produced so far is my understanding.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    This is an RFI, not an RFP.

The former is basically a formalized market survey. The latter is a procurement.
    For those unfamiliar with the government procurement process, please reread the above quote.^

CBP already has a draft addendum for their monster equipment SOP as relates to optics on duty pistols. They also have a very good reputation for tightly-written solicitations and exhaustively written regs, from the outside; certainly plenty in DHS are more ecstatic and confident in the CBP solicitation's outcome vs ICE's, and for cause.

A well-written RFI is both an all-call to the industry and a strongly worded hint for those that want to bring their A-game come RFP time.

I don't think there's anything presently available that fully addresses the RFI; but there are plenty of options that are near to the whole of it and that could be adapted accordingly.

Given the relative newness of CBP officers being full-time LEOs, that org looks at the aging workforce reality a bit differently than most other LEAs, and I suspect that this is emblematic of that.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    How many will need to be replaced? I mean, how many of those 47s have been fielded so far?
    SIG replaced a bunch of M17s for the Army just because of mismatched colors on the controls. If Glock - Aimpoint collaboration locks them the duty dot / host market , it very well may be Glock's spending some $$ on it.
    A matter of color as opposed to a matter of configuration is a very different concern for an agency, as relates to them departing the agreed upon configuration that ended a competitive process.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don’t think that would take much pressuring — bet an order for 1,000 pistols would get Glock programming the machines to make an Acro cut instead of MOS.
    I bet half that quantity would be easily doable with minor NRE costs (or none if the payback is good/fast enough).

Think about it, the programming time would be pretty small, the workholding fixtures are still the same (you're still holding the same slide, in the same mill, in the same XYZ orientation) and at most tooling changes would be swapping some mill cutters/inserts for another. Post machining operations would still all be the same.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Sig had an optic at SHOT , can't keep up with the models numbers so I can remember what it was called, that had a clip on section that enclosed the emitter. I'm sure Trijicon , Leupold etc could do something similar.
    The Romeo 2. Will come with 2 shrouds, one of which makes it an enclosed emitter. The Electro Optics guys said it will be formally released at NRA. It looks promising.....much more robust housing than the Romeo 1 Pro. Might end up being their first duty ready sight.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Around 15 to 20 thousand have been produced so far is my understanding.
    That would be a whole lotta guns to replace, especially that Glock doesn't really benefit from it in regards to this particular contract.

Would be interesting to see how industry responds to it. I've got to say, I think ACRO's cross-bolt attachment is its second best feature after its closed emitter. Getting rid of small screws with all of their problems is great, I wish all optics attached that way. I'd be disappoint if Aimpoint tried to revise this part of their design.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List