Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot on G26?

So chopped G19's, thread drift and stuff aside, how about getting back on target discussing a basic G26 with red dot?

Some questions that occurred to me:

- How much does it defeat the purpose of the G26 (concealability)?

- Since it would be new to me, what are the pro's / con's of going with a dovetail type mount just to try it out before permanently altering the pistol (slide milling)?

- Is there a particular size that works better on smaller pistols?

Thanks again

I don’t find my RMR equipped 19 conceals IWB appreciably worse than my iron sighted version. I wouldn’t expect anything different from a 26.

I handled a gun with a dovetail mount, and I felt it was unacceptably tall.

I think I would just go with an RMR - width isn’t a problem, and it would be the same hold as my 19.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I bit the bullet and had mine milled by Maple Leaf Firearms. They had a package deal that included the front slide serrations, deepening the rear ones, and nitride refinishing. I opted to have the sights placed in front of the optic to reduce the chances of the dot being blocked by a less than perfect presentation. I plan to try out a Dawson fiber optic front soon. It initially had trouble with some light 147gr reloads that my RMRed G19.5 digested easily, but hasn't had any problem with the last 200 rounds after I bumped the load up .2 grains. I know that's not much of a reliability test, but I'll be wringing it out some more in the coming weeks.

I'm a little Asian guy with an athletic build at 5'5" at 150 lbs with a size 30 waist, and I currently carry at 4 o'clock in a JM Custom IWB 3 built for a G19 with zero degree cant. Concealability is reduced for me slightly because I wear my shirts a little on the fitted side and I just don't have much real estate on my body from front to back. The right corner of the RMR prints a little and sometimes keeps some material from dropping back down after I raise my arms, but it really isn't enough to be an issue. Most of you guys should have even less of a problem concealing.

You said this is new to you. Are you referring to shooting an optic mounted pistol in general, or specifically on a G26?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t find my RMR equipped 19 conceals IWB appreciably worse than my iron sighted version. I wouldn’t expect anything different from a 26.

I handled a gun with a dovetail mount, and I felt it was unacceptably tall.

I think I would just go with an RMR - width isn’t a problem, and it would be the same hold as my 19.

Thanks,

"Tall" would be a future issue if I decide I like using a red dot on that little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post

- Since it would be new to me, what are the pro's / con's of going with a dovetail type mount just to try it out before permanently altering the pistol (slide milling)?

- Not a whole lot. I have RMR forward of the rear sight on that G26 I posted a link to. That means that RMR is closer to the belt line and conceals better. There is some extra print, but G26 is a chunky little thing so any losses here are nonincremental.

- I owned two dovetail mounts for two different guns and both sucked one way or another. It is probably a smart idea but executions that I've seen were less impressive.

- G26 has a standard width slide so I don't see a reason for anything other than RMR.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    - Not a whole lot. I have RMR forward of the rear sight on that G26 I posted a link to. That means that RMR is closer to the belt line and conceals better. There is some extra print, but G26 is a chunky little thing so any losses here are nonincremental.

- I owned two dovetail mounts for two different guns and both sucked one way or another. It is probably a smart idea but executions that I've seen were less impressive.

- G26 has a standard width slide so I don't see a reason for anything other than RMR.
    Copy thanks

Thanks,

"Tall" would be a future issue if I decide I like using a red dot on that little gun.
    That’s a good point - a dovetail mount might make a decent reversible proof of concept.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    So chopped G19's, thread drift and stuff aside, how about getting back on target discussing a basic G26 with red dot?

Thanks again
    Another option - Brownells makes an RDS ready G26 slide, though I believe it is only compatible with gen 3.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...31-228134.aspx

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s a good point - a dovetail mount might make a decent reversible proof of concept.
    That's exactly what I used this mount for on my 19 and if I was considering a 26 I'd do the same thing. Completely reversible and after 2 range trips with this setup I'm ready to either have this slide milled or to pick up a proven aftermarket slide.

Name:  IMG_2712.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  87.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Another option - Brownells makes an RDS ready G26 slide, though I believe it is only compatible with gen 3.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...31-228134.aspx
    Thanks. Mine is G4, but I'll check it out.

ETA - It says it fits Gen 1-4
    Last edited by Redhat; 02-06-2020 at 09:56 PM.

User Tag List