Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Montana firefighter-paramedic fired over her Instagram content

It's hard to feel sorry for "influencers" (a.k.a. narcissists) who experience bad things due to their "influencing." Believe or not, you can happily live your life and do your job without the "support" from people who actually just want to fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I did a quick check to see if her department has a union, and it doesn't appear to based on this http://mscopff.org/?zone=/unionactiv...0522&page=MSFA

If that's the case, she is an at-will employee and subject to termination at any time. Unless she can prove she was fired solely for being a woman, she's out of luck.

Moral of the story: you need to fully understand the terms of your employment. Moral #2, social media is worse than a social disease.
    The lack of a union does not mean at-will. What determines whether or not she is at will is the personnel system and public employment laws under which she was hired.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

She is alleging that male employees have posts on social media.

She is being accused of using her posts for personal gain.

There is a difference between posting a picture standing in front of a firetruck and posting a picture standing in front of a firetruck wearing a t-shirt that you are selling in an attempt to sell the t-shirts.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Three unpopular opinions.

1) The women who worked hard to be seen as equals actually paved the way to allow women in the workplace to also be women. In other words, it's generally accepted that women can do the same jobs as men now. So, they no longer have to downplay their sex at all. It can be difficult for women who had to downplay and desexualize themselves for years, to recognize the contributions they made. It doesn't help that the younger crowd doesn't honor those contributions appropriately.

2) If you're going to show yourself in uniform/unit insignia/etc. You need to provide a professional appearance. This goes for women and men. There is no reason why in 2020, any city, any department, any employer should be without a comprehensive social media policy.

3) She's not really hot. She's fit and clearly strong and I suspect she is an excellent firefighter and paramedic (though apparently has questionable firearms safety standards). But she's not really hot, unless you're into girls who are potentially on anabolic steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The lack of a union does not mean at-will. What determines whether or not she is at will is the personnel system and public employment laws under which she was hired.
    See my second post regarding employment in Montana.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Can she save my ass if I am on fire or having a heart attack? All I care about. Got an EKG yesterday and the tech giving it had a large religious tatoo on his arm that I could see. Not my religion - so what.

About the flag - during Viet Nam days - Abby Hoffman (or one of his crowd) appeared at a demonstration wearing an American Flag shirt. Folks were outraged. However, the next day, Roy Rogers had a special on TV and was wearing the same shirt type. It's a free country.

Here's for you pontificating academics (haha) - https://www.chronicle.com/interactiv...now-SexAdjunct

Woman finds this is the only way to support herself when in grad school. Her mentor refuses to write recommendations. Any different from the trophy wives of rich guys, up to and including national leaders? Hmm?

Who demands to be paid for light duty because you have a 6 week "no lifting" restriction following your elective cosmetic surgery?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Three unpopular opinions.

1) The women who worked hard to be seen as equals actually paved the way to allow women in the workplace to also be women. In other words, it's generally accepted that women can do the same jobs as men now. So, they no longer have to downplay their sex at all. It can be difficult for women who had to downplay and desexualize themselves for years, to recognize the contributions they made. It doesn't help that the younger crowd doesn't honor those contributions appropriately.

2) If you're going to show yourself in uniform/unit insignia/etc. You need to provide a professional appearance. This goes for women and men. There is no reason why in 2020, any city, any department, any employer should be without a comprehensive social media policy.

3) She's not really hot. She's fit and clearly strong and I suspect she is an excellent firefighter and paramedic (though apparently has questionable firearms safety standards). But she's not really hot, unless you're into girls who are potentially on anabolic steroids.
    Those opinions might be unpopular but I agree with you right down the line there.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Funny I was going to say that if she’s serious about Instagram success, she’s going to have to start dropping some Anavar. If she’s on steroids, she’s not doing it right. That would be a lot easier with a real job since she’s probably making a couple hundred a month on IG.

She might get her job back. IME she can jump off a cliff. The kind of people that can’t knock some petty social media behavior to keep a real job, are the same ones that can’t shut up, follow simple orders and just do their jobs at critical incidents. Social media might have been the reason for termination but I doubt that’s why she was being looked at for termination.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Seasonal part time fire medic? Check.
    Social media as personal income? Check.
    Use of first responder status for credibility/relevance? Check.
    Cringe worthy fire-hero quotes on IG? Check.
    Missing work for cosmetic surgery? Check.

She doesn't want to do the job, she just wants to be associated with the job to feed her ego and her wallet. Big solid meh from me.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

User Tag List