Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff E2HT Light Saber

Malkoff E2HT Light Saber

That's what it should be called, but officially it is sold as the E2 Hyper Throw, a head designed to fit on E-series bodies and Scout 600 WMLs.

I updated the light below with this head, shown with a Bodyguard v.2 head which looks exactly the same;

The E2HT is rated at only 500 lumens but at 35,000 lux, compared to the Bodyguard at 1,000 lumens and about 12,000 lux. What this means is that the lumens of the E2HT are more tightly focused into brighter hot spot, but at the cost of a spill brightness. Here are a series of beam shots (by others) posted online comparing the Bodyguard to the E2HT (the first in each pair is the Bodyguard);

So far I am very impressed with the capability of the E2HT in the role of an EDC fight light. It is wickedly bright - anyone with dark-adapted vision within 20 - 30 feet who takes a direct hit to the eyeballs is going to have their OODA loop seriously reset. The only light in my collection that is brighter is the Hound Dog Super, which is physically a much larger light.

As I have shown before, I carry this light in a Kytex Gear horizontal holster designed for the SF 6P;

"Light Saber" seems a fitting description.

Build List

In case anyone is interested, here is a suggested build list.

Note - while I purchased the E2HT head directly from Malkoff, I sourced the Surefire body from ebay and the Surefire Tactician* tailcap (great find!) from the M4C Equipment Exchange listings. There seems to be a steady listing of SF E-series bodies and tailcaps on ebay.

*FYI, the SF Tactican "MaxVision Beam" is very similar to the Malkoff Bodyguard

The following critical "fight-light" features are considered;

• Blinding output - the Malkoff E2HT head certainly fits the bill for this
    • Momentary operation - the classic Surefire "twisty" operation is truly ideal for this application; push the tailcap switch for momentary-only operation, twist the tailcap tight to the body for constant-on. No worries of accidently clicking it constant-on when you may be relying on gross motor skills only.
    • Good ergonomics - a knurled body long enough to get all fingers on the light
    • Ease of EDC - if it isn't convenient and comfortable enough to have with you all the time, it won't do much good sitting at home in a time of need
    • Reasonable runtime - this build will operate for 45 to 60 minutes on a commonly-available Li-ion rechargeable cell
    • No extraneous BS features - nothing that is not needed to add complexity or failure points

The Components

Optional

Kytex Gear Horizontal Surefire Carrier - this is how I carry mine at the 11 o'clock position on my belt. Very comfortable and readily accessible.

The total cost to build this light is about $200, add another $25 or so if you need to buy the 16650 cell and a charger, another $20 for the carrier. No doubt this is a quality build made of easily available parts that will fill its intended role superbly.

FWIW, I have ordered from Lumens Factory (Hong Kong) multiple times and have been pleased with both their service and quality of product. The parts listed above can be purchased with confidence.

If you have any questions post 'em below!

Malkoff sells a threaded collar that allows for the installation of one of these heads on an old Millennium light body. That is what I did.

I already had the Millennium light, rifle mount, tape switch etc and was happy with the setup. This light had previously been updated with one of Gene's LED lamp assemblies. It worked okay. Was certainly brighter than it had been with the incandescent lamp but it was heavy. The old head was also pretty bulky and had a good bit of heft to it.

Changing over to the E2HT head couldn't have been easier. It was literally a matter of unscrewing the old Millennium head assembly and replacing it with the adapter collar and the new light head.

The new hybrid light now throws with the best of them. Nothing else needed changed. Same tape switch, dual switch tail cap, etc. Granted the Millennium body is a little bulkier than a new Scout body but the weight isn't that much different. Overall, I think it is a cost effective way to get a modern light without throwing away an otherwise functional setup.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

@Tokarev, nice conversion!

The E2HT was designed and intended for WML use. Using it for a handheld application may seem a bit unusual due to its not-for-general-use beam pattern, but for the intended role being discussed it works extraordinarily well.

@NH Shooter, do you know if the head is compatible with 18650 batteries and if there are bodies that will interface with the head that accommodate the 18650 batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    @NH Shooter, do you know if the head is compatible with 18650 batteries and if there are bodies that will interface with the head that accommodate the 18650 batteries?
    Yes!

Malkoff;

https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...21907969736784

or,

Oveready body;

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e70-body-ha-black/

Any Surefire P-series tailcap such as this Z41 twisty;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Sur...3/303469973424

With this set up the anodizing would need to e removed from the head threads on the body (not difficult to do)

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Yes!

Malkoff;

https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...21907969736784

or,

Oveready body;

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e70-body-ha-black/

Any Surefire P-series tailcap such as this Z41 twisty;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Sur...3/303469973424

With this set up the anodizing would need to e removed from the head threads on the body (not difficult to do)
    Thank you. More ways for me to spend money the wife can yell at me about. 😈
    Last edited by Tackleberry40sw; 02-06-2020 at 08:53 PM.

More Observations

I've been carrying this light every day since my OP and have the following observations to share;

1. At 3.8 ounces and 5-1/8 inches AOL, it rides unnoticed in the Kytex horizontal holster on my belt at the 11 o'clock position. It meets my ease-of-carry and ease-of-accessibility EDC requirements with flying colors.

2. The momentary-only twisty tailcap is perfect for this application. I installed an O-ring between the tailcap and body to prevent the tailcap from inadvertently turning and changing the amount of travel required to activate the light.

3. The distance this tightly-focused beam of light can illuminate on object is impressive. It can provide enough illumination to reveal the detail of an object (or what a potential assailant is holding in their hands) to at least 50 (measured) yards.

4. Using the mirror test, I find this 500-lumen/35,000-candela light is wickedly blinding. I have little doubt that at typical self-defense distances, it would be brutal to the recipient and provide a very effective photonic barrier.

5. The "all the lumens" mantra should actually read "all the candela" as candela is the true measure of brightness, not lumens (see second video below).

Here are my two EDC lights: the lower 200-lumen light rides in the bottom of my pocket and is used for general illumination purposes. The Lego at the top is the subject of this thread, this photo showing the design of the Surefire Tactician (twisty) tailcap - I find the semi-shrouded design and momentary-only operation perfect for this application;

With that, a few videos of interest;

Tailcap Upgrade

Lumens Factory now offers a clone of the Surefire Tactician tailcap that uses a genuine McClicky switch. I purchased one and after a few mods found it to be a MUCH better solution than the SF twisty.

The main issue with SF twisty tailcaps is that the electrical contact when pressing the switch can become a bit iffy. I believe this may have to do with arcing on high current draw heads and the slow degradation of the contact. The SF Tactician tailcap I purchased required disassembly and cleaning of the contact areas with a diamond hone, but still was not 100% after the work.

The McClicky switch is pretty much an industry standard and has proven itself to be extremely reliable and capable of handling the higher current draw that many lights impose on the cells and switches. The only downside to the McClicky for this application is that it is a "forward click" switch and can be inadvertently clicked into constant-on operation. For this light and the way it's used, constant-on operation is not needed and the McClicky switch can be "de-clicked" with a simple mod to make it momentary-only.

I also changed the switch boot to a silicone version that has an internal nub that can be fitted to the switch to adjust the amount of press travel required to activate the light. The end result shown below is truly outstanding: a smooth, tactile feel with a consistent press and flicker-free operation. The semi-shrouded design of this tailcap and integral lanyard loop are IMO perfect for this application.

If anyone has any questions about the mods to the tailcap, let me know.

User Tag List