Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff E2HT Light Saber

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Outstanding!

Gene held his cards tight-to-the-vest but I suspected he was going to release a head that will compete toe-to-toe with the Modlite OKW.

Site Supporter
    The regulated one seems more practical, but I snagged a direct drive because all the lux.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The regulated one seems more practical, but I snagged a direct drive because all the lux.
    Likewise. :-)

The regulated model IMO is not enough of a step-up over the E2HT for my use, which is more compact and thus easier to EDC (especially in the horizontal belt carrier I like using). That said, either of these two new heads would be awesome for use with an Arisaka body and mount for WML applications.

The direct drive model has the identical specs of the Modlite OKW, which I'm hearing is a "game changer" in certain LE applications. I'll be replacing the E2HT head with this new E2XTD head and carry it clipped in my front pocket. I prefer the horizontal belt carrier for EDC, but for this much of an upgrade in output I'll accept that sacrifice.

It looks like only about 10 - 15 minutes of runtime on the 16650 cell but for the intended use (and the momentary-only conversion of the tailcap switch), that is fine. I may need to try the MDC 18650 body with an IMR 18650 cell, which would provide greater runtime.

I'll be posting pics of my upgraded "light saber" next week!

I assume the Modlite Mod Buttom will work with the new high output head. What else will work for a tape switch?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I assume the Modlite Mod Buttom will work with the new high output head. What else will work for a tape switch?
    McClicky will handle the direct-drive head (they handle 5+ amps), so any of the Malkoff MDC bodies (like the 16650 and 18650 versions) will be fine. Any tailcap with a McClicky conversion will be fine.

Not sure how the SF tailcaps or tape switches will hold up to the direct-drive head, but I suspect they would be fine with the regulated output 500 lumen/55,000 candela version.

The regulated head is most attractive to me because it should require nothing other than the head itself. No need for a larger diameter body or different tape switch. It should be plug and play to the light I already have.

I have one ordered and will post some pics of the difference in throw between the HT and XT when available.

I assume the quality and durability is there for rifle use. The only reason I can see to buy a Modlite OKW would be to save rail space buy using a 300 length body. That isn't a big concern on this particular rifle.

I assume the quality and durability is there for rifle use.
    Oh hell yeah. Malkoff stuff is built like hammers.

The only reason I can see to buy a Modlite OKW would be to save rail space buy using a 300 length body.
    Agreed, but I'd still roll with the 18650 body as runtime on an 18350 1200mAh cell will be mighty short.

Maybe Modlite will become more realistic with their pricing too now that you can buy the Malkoff E2XTD head and MDC 18650 body together for $225.00 with a commonly-available 20% coupon. The Modlite goes for $350 and has exactly zero advantages over the Malkoff alternative other than the two cells and charger it comes with, which can be purchased from illumn.com for $35. In fact, a pocket clip is a $15 option on the Modlite, the Malkoff comes with an excellent clip attached directly to the body.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

Agreed, but I'd still roll with the 18650 body as runtime on an 18350 1200mAh cell will be mighty short.
    Arisaka Defense says 35 minutes with the OKW head and 18350 battery.

Arisaka Defense says 35 minutes with the OKW head and 18350 battery.
    Field reports indicate 45 minutes of useful output (to noticeable dimming) of the OKW on an 18650 3500mAh cell. The highest capacity 18350 available is 1200mAh, which will provide about 15 minutes of useable runtime at best. For WML applications, that might be OK - I don't think the OKW or E2XTD are intended for Search & Rescue use.

The runtime most manufacturers state is based on full to 10% output. Noticeable dimming occurs around 50%.

User Tag List