Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff E2HT Light Saber

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    I think Gene Malkoff needs a bigger marketing department just to give him more exposure.
    I think that may be by design. They are a small, family-owned company and are frequently out of stock on multiple items. The first batch of their new E2XTD heads (which are the equivalent of the Modlite OKW) sold out in 24 hours. I have a feeling they like the size of their business as it is and therefore do not want to (or have to) market any more than their own website, user forum postings and word of mouth.

How does the E2XTD compare with the M61HOT with an 18650?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    I think Gene Malkoff needs a bigger marketing department just to give him more exposure. All I see online is Modlite this, Modlite that. You ain't cool if you don't have the new Modlite weapon light...
    His heads are available through Arisaka Defense both as parts and as complete lights with 300 or 600 length bodies.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    How does the E2XTD compare with the M61HOT with an 18650?
    M61HOT and M91T are the same heads set up to run on different voltage ranges. Both are approximately 750 lumens/20,000 lux.

The E2XTD can only be run on a 16650 or 18650 cell and produces 650 lumens/70,000 lux. The E2XT can be run on a pair of CR123 batteries, but has slightly reduced output (500 lumens/55,000 lux).

Comparing my M91T to the E2XTD, the M91T has a much broader (but less intense) hot spot and brighter spill. It covers a larger swath but with less than 1/3 the lux, is not nearly as bright and does not reach out as far. For general use I find the M91T beam more useful.

The E2XTD has a smaller, highly-focused hot spot that is 3x brighter. Where the M91T can reach down a dark road a bit, the E2XTD reaches way down the road. The spill is as wide as the M91T just not as bright. That said, the spill is still bright enough to maintain SA of the immediate surroundings and to see where I'm stepping.

No doubt the E2XT and E2XTD heads are specialized illumination tools. For WML use on a LPVO-equipped rifle they are outstanding. For use as a "light saber" as discussed in this thread, a superb choice. For finding the keys dropped under the car seat, not so much.

FWIW, I carry my upgraded "light saber" clipped to the inside of my front-left pocket, and carry a smaller Malkoff for general use. I find it no inconvenience at all to carry two lights, and the smaller light on the bottom (Malkoff M61L - 200 lumens, maybe 4,000 lux) gets plenty of use. Photo below before I updated the top light to the E2XTD;

In conclusion, the E2XTD is not for everyone, but if having a pocketable high-power pencil-beam spot light to see waaayyyy out there (or to blind the shit out of someone at close range) has appeal, it's an absolute hoot. It brings me grins and giggles every time I fire it up;

Last edited by NH Shooter; 03-07-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Comparison photos albeit a little blurry. The wall at the end of the street is about 140 yards away.

All four photos taken using a light powered by a Keeppower 16650 2500 mah battery.

First is a Malkoff E2HT bought a couple months back:

Then here's the E2XT head:

Here is a Surefire KE2A head. I don't remember the output. 500 lumens?

Finally here is a Streamlight Protac HL-X. I believe these lights are rated at 1,000 lumens.

Another attempt at comparing the E2HT and the 2XT.

The cellphone camera seems confused by both lights. Probably the best thing is to have someone focus a camera rather than me trying to aim the light with one hand and hold the phone and tap the screen with the other.

HT pics. First is the same street with a wall that's about 140 yards away. The other is a street with a house about 50 yards away.

XT. Same 140 yards and 50 yards.

So, yeah, the XT is quite a bit tighter in beam pattern. I was quite pleased with the HT previously. Still am, actually. But the XT is probably the way to go for anyone wanting a light on a rifle that might get used outside. Ranch work for chasing critters, rural police work, etc.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-09-2020 at 09:31 PM.

E2XTs are back in stock

If one of you has a edcl1-t or edcl2-t (surefire) to compare would be great to see or hear. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If one of you has a edcl1-t or edcl2-t (surefire) to compare would be great to see or hear. Thanks.
    Comparatively speaking, typical general purpose beam with central hot spot (EDCL) vs. tight, bright hot spot with dim* spill (E2XT).

The EDCL2-T is rated at 1,200 lumens/25,000 candela (ramps down quickly from there for heat management), the E2XTD is rated at 650 lumens/70,000 candela.

*While the spill of the E2XTD is dim compared to a typical general purpose type of beam, it is more than bright enough for SA of the immediate surroundings. For the use being discussed in this thread, I find it is ideal.

Site Supporter

It even kinda looks like a lightsaber

Malkoff E2XTD on their 18650 e-series body. I thought this would be too narrow of a beam profile, but I actually find it very useful for anything that I can't use my key chain light to illuminate. It seems to get adequate runtime with the 18650. I need to check with Malkoff to see if it will work with a high drain unprotected 18650. Some direct drive lights are designed around the internal resistance of a protected cell (like the recommended Keeppowers). It would be interesting if it can get even slightly more performance off of a high drain cell.

Name:  IMG_20200814_214958.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  35.8 KB

User Tag List