Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USPSA EQUIPMENT SURVEY RESULTS

The 150 Syntech has been my match ammo since September, and I have averaged at least one match a week since then. I have also shot a fair amount of it in practice, through multiple Glock 17 and 34 pistols, and am north of 5,000 rounds of it. I have not had a single light strike or stoppage with it. It is extremely soft shooting in a Glock pistols. In the Legion 320, not that remarkable, but awesome in a Glock. Besides how the gun cycles, I like that it is lead free, hits steel hard, and doesn’t splatter on steel.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    I've been cautious about using lead-free primers.
    Cautious about what? If you don't try it you'll never find out if primers are an issue.

I see quite a few people using that Syntec stuff at matches and haven't seen anyone have a problem or complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    In the latest edition of the Official Journal of the United States Practical Shooting Association, they have an equipment survey. I looked at the survey for ammunition choice of Factory Loaded ammunition. Out of the 7 division survey results, Federal Factory ammo was the number one pick for six of those divisions. The only division that picked another supplier was open division and that group of shooters choose Atlantic Arms for their factory ammo as their number one choice.

So I'm thinking that there is probably a good reason for this. So what does Federal offer that is better than all of their competitors? Are the primers more consistent, or is a price per round decision?

I'm also interested in which specific loading is the choice for practice / competition use for 9mm Luger in Production and Carry optics?
    The main reason people buy it is because you don't have to worry about chrono stages.

USPSA says the ammo meets power factor and that's that even if it falls slightly short in your particular pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    This. Just look at what primers the reloaders are using.
    The smart ones don't tune their ignition springs so light that they are forced to use one specific brand.

All three of my match guns have very shootable triggers and will work with anything I feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The smart ones don't tune their ignition springs so light that they are forced to use one specific brand.

All three of my match guns have very shootable triggers and will work with anything I feed them.
    Don't tell that to the revolver guys. What 3 match guns are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Don't tell that to the revolver guys. What 3 match guns are you using?
    CZ P-09, USPSA Production
    CZ P-10F, USPSA and IDPA Carry Optics
    CZ 75BD, IDPA Stock Service Pistol

The only one with a completely OEM trigger is the P-10 and I don't see any need to mess with it. The other two have been tuned by me using CGW parts and hand polishing.

Revolver shooters can have primer flexibility if they don't tune their actions to the nth degree. The same applies to DA/SA semiautos and to a lesser degree striker fired pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Cautious about what? If you don't try it you'll never find out if primers are an issue.

I see quite a few people using that Syntec stuff at matches and haven't seen anyone have a problem or complain.
    Have seen the type of comments below many times, just grabbed quickly from a thread about a Zev striker. Remember seeing similar comments regarding Beretta and Tanfo firing pins a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The major problem with striker tips is firing ammo with lead free primers--this can cause premature erosion and breakage.

Otherwise, as noted above, Glock OEM strikers are generally NOT an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'm aware of one large Northeastern PD whose Glock strikers were eroding badly, courtesy of the lead free training ammo they were using. I'm guessing there is something about the primer cup's construction that causes this to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes, not sure what is up, but it has been out of stock since around late November, and I am about out. The 150 grain 9mm load chronos at 138 PF in my Glock but shoots very soft.
    Looks like Brownells has some in stock. https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...(Grains)_1=150
    10% off today! Use code YAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Have seen the type of comments below many times, just grabbed quickly from a thread about a Zev striker. Remember seeing similar comments regarding Beretta and Tanfo firing pins a couple years ago.
    Firing pin erosion comes from pierced primers. Run 100 rounds through your pistol and look at all the spent cases. Pierced primers will be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by 357carbine View Post
    Looks like Brownells has some in stock. https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...(Grains)_1=150
    10% off today! Use code YAA.
    Thanks much — just ordered 10,000!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List