Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USPSA EQUIPMENT SURVEY RESULTS

USPSA EQUIPMENT SURVEY RESULTS

In the latest edition of the Official Journal of the United States Practical Shooting Association, they have an equipment survey. I looked at the survey for ammunition choice of Factory Loaded ammunition. Out of the 7 division survey results, Federal Factory ammo was the number one pick for six of those divisions. The only division that picked another supplier was open division and that group of shooters choose Atlantic Arms for their factory ammo as their number one choice.

So I'm thinking that there is probably a good reason for this. So what does Federal offer that is better than all of their competitors? Are the primers more consistent, or is a price per round decision?

I'm also interested in which specific loading is the choice for practice / competition use for 9mm Luger in Production and Carry optics?

I dunno.

I shoot Federal AE 115 in Production. I’m a 39% D shooter.

The AE is:

Affordable, reliable, accurate, and available (by the case at www.sgammo.com). It works for me?

Softest primers is #1

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    In the latest edition of the Official Journal of the United States Practical Shooting Association, they have an equipment survey. I looked at the survey for ammunition choice of Factory Loaded ammunition. Out of the 7 division survey results, Federal Factory ammo was the number one pick for six of those divisions. The only division that picked another supplier was open division and that group of shooters choose Atlantic Arms for their factory ammo as their number one choice.

So I'm thinking that there is probably a good reason for this. So what does Federal offer that is better than all of their competitors? Are the primers more consistent, or is a price per round decision?

I'm also interested in which specific loading is the choice for practice / competition use for 9mm Luger in Production and Carry optics?
    Federal Syntech is competition specific ammo and the official USPSA ammo for at least some of the loadings, meaning it is deemed to make power factor. The 150 grain 9mm load is my preferred comp load.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Federal Syntech is competition specific ammo and the official USPSA ammo for at least some of the loadings, meaning it is deemed to make power factor. The 150 grain 9mm load is my preferred comp load.
    looked at over 15 different vendors for this ammo. All of them were out of stock. How do competitors get their hands on vapor wear?

looked at over 15 different vendors for this ammo. All of them were out of stock. How do competitors get their hands on vapor wear?
    Yes, not sure what is up, but it has been out of stock since around late November, and I am about out. The 150 grain 9mm load chronos at 138 PF in my Glock but shoots very soft.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

SG Ammo has some of the 124 and 147 Syntech in stock. No 150 grain.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes, not sure what is up, but it has been out of stock since around late November, and I am about out. The 150 grain 9mm load chronos at 138 PF in my Glock but shoots very soft.
    Sounds the same as the 150gr HST I have for my 9mm carry pistols. Want to try that Syntech one but I've been cautious about using lead-free primers.

Target Sports USA has Syntech 147 in stock:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...-p-109066.aspx

From the Federal web site, the 150 has a muzzle velocity of 1,000 fps, the 147 is 890. That's about the only difference I can see between AE9SJ3 (147) and AE9SJFP1 (150).

https://www.federalpremium.com/compa...ntech&backUrl=

I used a case of the 150 through a weekend at my Gabe class last year. It was the only time I had some duds (maybe 4?) in any Federal ammo over perhaps 800 rounds in two days. In fact those were the only malfunctions I've ever had in my Glock 19.5 over 5,500+ rounds. It kind of soured my initial experience with Syntech, so I've not used it since. At the time, it also seemed a bit more expensive than the normal AE. So I decided to not buy any more.

I had an ammo order going with Target Sports USA to take advantage of their two for one on Federal 147 HST last night, so I added a couple boxes of the 147 Syntech to try again and see if my results were the same.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-06-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Softest primers is #1
    This. Just look at what primers the reloaders are using.

User Tag List