Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reminder: buy from established companies

Site Supporter
    What exactly is "established" with so many entrants to the marketplace these last few years? How does one vet these companies?

I'm looking at one company whose products were recommended, but their website leaves much to be desired.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What exactly is "established" with so many entrants to the marketplace these last few years? How does one vet these companies?

I'm looking at one company whose products were recommended, but their website leaves much to be desired.

Chris
    I'd pick a company that has:

-has military or LE contracts/supplies to
    -has a diverse portfolio of products, not JUST cans
    -has an established dealer network

Even better, if you know whether or not the company is leveraging debt/credit or not to operate. This is no bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I'd pick a company that has:

-has military or LE contracts/supplies to
    -has a diverse portfolio of products, not JUST cans
    -has an established dealer network

Even better, if you know whether or not the company is leveraging debt/credit or not to operate. This is no bueno.
    And that is an interesting set of requirements.

You’re limiting yourself by an arbitrary list there. It leaves, what, Surefire, AAC, and KAC and OSS? Frankly, for a tube with some baffles in it, there’s no reason that a smart person can’t look at what’s important to them, and make a good decision based upon their needs, rather than the probably irrelevant, needs of a military or LE agency.

If one had an issue with a can down the road, myself, I would much rather deal with someone like Tom Bowers, or Ray Sanchez, than....random customer service representative...at AAC, we’ll say. For crying out loud, I’ve had positive interaction with Dead Air staff via email, whereas another company that shall remain nameless, couldn’t be bothered to get back to me...at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    And that is an interesting set of requirements.

You’re limiting yourself by an arbitrary list there. It leaves, what, Surefire, AAC, and KAC and OSS? Frankly, for a tube with some baffles in it, there’s no reason that a smart person can’t look at what’s important to them, and make a good decision based upon their needs, rather than the probably irrelevant, needs of a military or LE agency.

If one had an issue with a can down the road, myself, I would much rather deal with someone like Tom Bowers, or Ray Sanchez, than....random customer service representative...at AAC, we’ll say. For crying out loud, I’ve had positive interaction with Dead Air staff via email, whereas another company that shall remain nameless, couldn’t be bothered to get back to me...at all.
    The question was about an established company, NOT "pick the best can for me".

KAC
    Surefire
    OSS
    SIG
    YHM

I am sure there are others, but see how all of those companies "aren't going anywhere", as best we can guess?

I get it, you don’t want to have a Crux, or Silencerco, or...whatever. But with a little bit of research, one can narrow down the field pretty well, if you’re more focused on asking the right questions, than catchy marketing.

If one is investing anything more than pocket change on a regulated item, I’d want answers, from someone in the know. If you pick up the phone, you can speak with the owners of some of the smaller companies. . That means something, and those companies don’t appear to be going anywhere either.

Sometimes the best option, isn’t the latest hotness. Sometimes it is. But there’s more to a purchase than (a) marketing and (b) who they currently have a contract with, etc etc.

The size of the company can be a double edged sword - while it may offer stability (to a degree) it brings its own set of issues from the perspective of an individual purchaser.

If it isn't a recognized name at this point in the game I wouldn't even bother with them.

IE:
    Deadair
    Surefire
    OSS
    KAC
    TBAC
    Q
    EA

There are way too many good cans right now to even bother with start ups.

Instead of looking at the brand name, look at the components, and the ability of the company to not try to spin their marketing in such a way that it stretches...what’s physically possible.

But overlooking a company because it doesn’t have immediate name-recognition on the forums or whatever, doesn’t do the individual consumer much good. I remember when TBAC was a little-known company in Wyoming, and they’ve proven themselves well worth the ‘risk’.

Decide what your needs are. Then do some research, and talk to some of the companies that you’re interested in. Don’t let another companies marketing campaign determine your needs.

For cans with Ti components....where is the Ti sourced from? There are companies that only use domestic Ti. Others, use imported materials. You won’t see the little guy bragging about it, but they’re doing it for a reason, rather than trying to save a buck.

I know that EA uses DFARS compliant materials for example.

Site Supporter
    Regarding repairs...

If you were to buy a can and the company goes out of business, how straightforward is getting it repaired a third party company such as the ones listed up thread?

Chris

Reminder: buy from established companies

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Regarding repairs...

If you were to buy a can and the company goes out of business, how straightforward is getting it repaired a third party company such as the ones listed up thread?

Chris
    If the serial number is impacted then nothing can be done without paying NFA tax. Companies have been getting smarter by putting the serial in the best location if there is a catastrophic event. EA puts their serial number on a band at the rear for example. But otherwise very straight forward. ECCO is currently converting older models to use modular rear mounts. Like converting old AAC models to be able to use Dead Air mounts.

User Tag List