Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-6 Razor JM v MRAD reticle

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Below pic is the VMR-2 MRAD reticle dope in Strelok Pro for my 16" Noveske with Razor Gen II-E using 55gr M193. Basically, the same barrel length and bullet weight the JM-1 is set up for. Rifle is zeroed at 100, target shown at 200 (a 2.57" holdover), and mil hash marks are 294, 395, 536, and 590. I'm not seeing what the JM-1 would do here that the VMR-2 MRAD doesn't. This is at my average temp and altitude in Florida, basically 78 degrees and 75ft elevation. The JM-1 could easily be off 6, 5, 36, and 10 at my altitude at those respective distances as well. I've confirmed out to 300.

I later took this optic off the Noveske and put it on a 20" Tikka CTR .308 and recalculated for a 168gr Hornady A-MAX bullet in Strelok, something you could not do with the JM-1.

Attachment 48318
    One can absolutely recalibrate a BDC reticle such as the Vortex JM-1 or the Steiner P3TR since their OEMs publish what the angular distance is between the center and each of the drop stadia lines. It can be done even if the reticle doesn't appear in your magic box's database.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Anyway, since I’m not storming the Beaches of Normandy or hitting the 3-gun nationals I think I’ll be ok learning to work in MILS.
    Working in mils is exactly like working in MOA. Work directly in angular measurements and never think in inches when dealing with bullet drop or wind drift.

You have a ruler calibrated in milliradians right in front of your eyes. Use that to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    One can absolutely recalibrate a BDC reticle such as the Vortex JM-1 or the Steiner P3TR since their OEMs publish what the angular distance is between the center and each of the drop stadia lines. It can be done even if the reticle doesn't appear in your magic box's database.
    It does appear in "my magic box's database", it just meters out in odd distances at each stadia. I don't care one way or the other what people choose. I shared my opinion based on my experience, you shared yours.

There are choices for this very reason. You pays your moneys, you buys your scopes.

What do you guys think about the reticle options for the Razor Gen III 1-10? I'm pretty set on picking one up as my next LPVO but trying to decide between MRAD and BDC/MOA. This being a 10x and FFP is making me lean towards MRAD, but I've yet to be convinced either way. As of right now it would be spending most of its time on a 5.56 14.5" or 16" AR, however I've been thinking about buying an AR10 in the near future, which this scope would be perfect for. Thoughts?

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    What do you guys think about the reticle options for the Razor Gen III 1-10? I'm pretty set on picking one up as my next LPVO but trying to decide between MRAD and BDC/MOA. This being a 10x and FFP is making me lean towards MRAD, but I've yet to be convinced either way. As of right now it would be spending most of its time on a 5.56 14.5" or 16" AR, however I've been thinking about buying an AR10 in the near future, which this scope would be perfect for. Thoughts?
    I'm going with the MRAD, our pre-sales are 10-1 MRAD right now.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    I'm going with the MRAD, our pre-sales are 10-1 MRAD right now.
    Herd mentality isn't always a good barometer.

I tailor my optics to their purpose instead of trying to make them do everything.

Herd mentality isn't always a good barometer.

I tailor my optics to their purpose instead of trying to make them do everything.

It has nothing to do with herd mentality, we specialize in high end optics and precision rifles that cater to some of the best shooters in the nation.
    When it comes to FFP scopes more people tend to use MRAD while SFP scopes used for hunting or F-Class/Benchrest shooting typically use MOA based scopes.
    I can say the majority of our customers do come from another board which also favors MRAD for the PRS/NRL type shooting so there's that...
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    It has nothing to do with herd mentality, we specialize in high end optics and precision rifles that cater to some of the best shooters in the nation.
    When it comes to FFP scopes more people tend to use MRAD while SFP scopes used for hunting or F-Class/Benchrest shooting typically use MOA based scopes.
    I can say the majority of our customers do come from another board which also favors MRAD for the PRS/NRL type shooting so there's that...
    I know which board you refer to, and there's a lot of monkey see monkey do there too. A lot of shooters there don't understand how little difference there is between MOA and Mil reticles in practical use regardless of the scope's focal plane and just repeat what they read somewhere else.

An angle is an angle, doesn't matter how you measure it.

I know which board you refer to, and there's a lot of monkey see monkey do there too. A lot of shooters there don't understand how little difference there is between MOA and Mil reticles in practical use regardless of the scope's focal plane and just repeat what they read somewhere else.

An angle is an angle, doesn't matter how you measure it.
    Here's a good article on this topic here.

And again, depending on the type of shooting you do the choice you make can make things more difficult than necessary. We have, use and sell both so pick what you want
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

... there's a lot of monkey see monkey do there too.
    Nothing wrong with that—as long as the monkey you’re copying is a top 10 competitor... I always recommend that new shooters looking for equipment advice just try to copy what the super squad uses.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List