Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-6 Razor JM v MRAD reticle

1-6 Razor JM v MRAD reticle

I didn't want to necro older threads so wanted to get some feedback on these two reticle choices from the experts.

I'm purchasing a Razor 1-6 for a general purpose 16" 5.56 rifle that will primarily be used for training (running and gunning as opposed to precision shooting). I have no plans to shoot this rifle past 400Y and would mostly be shooting within 200Y. The 6X top-end would mostly serve for spotting purposes.

I don't know how to use a scope so this is an opportunity to learn. That being said, I don't want to use something unnecessarily complicated for my use case. It seems like the JM-1 reticle would best suit my needs but if it's truly better to learn MRAD in the long run AND wouldn't slow down my shooting happy to go that route.

Get the mil reticle if you want to learn. I don’t love the JM reticle anyway. It lacks wind and mover holds.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

VMR-2 MRAD is my preference. Combine with Strelok Pro app to get your holdovers for the most popular factory ammo and projectile offerings. Of course, you need to confirm, but ultimately a MIL reticle is more versatile than a BDC, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I'm purchasing a Razor 1-6 for a general purpose 16" 5.56 rifle that will primarily be used for training (running and gunning as opposed to precision shooting). I have no plans to shoot this rifle past 400Y and would mostly be shooting within 200Y.
    Get the JM reticle. It's tailor-made for your needs.

The MRAD reticle would be useless clutter for your stated purposes. Inside of 400 yards wind holds are insignificant for man-sized targets unless you're shooting in 15+ MPH winds and then you guess a hold, fire, and adjust if you miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Get the JM reticle. It's tailor-made for your needs.

The MRAD reticle would be useless clutter for your stated purposes. Inside of 400 yards wind holds are insignificant for man-sized targets unless you're shooting in 15+ MPH winds and then you guess a hold, fire, and adjust if you miss.
    This right here.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    I prefer the JM-1 for the Vortex Razor Gen II as I'm not a fan of the layout of the Mil or MOA reticle design. With a higher magnification scope FFPP scope like a 3-15, 4-20, 5-27 etc I will recommend a mil based system unless you are shooting a bench rest discipline or getting a SFP Swarovski hunting scope where you can't choose mil.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Below pic is the VMR-2 MRAD reticle dope in Strelok Pro for my 16" Noveske with Razor Gen II-E using 55gr M193. Basically, the same barrel length and bullet weight the JM-1 is set up for. Rifle is zeroed at 100, target shown at 200 (a 2.57" holdover), and mil hash marks are 294, 395, 536, and 590. I'm not seeing what the JM-1 would do here that the VMR-2 MRAD doesn't. This is at my average temp and altitude in Florida, basically 78 degrees and 75ft elevation. The JM-1 could easily be off 6, 5, 36, and 10 at my altitude at those respective distances as well. I've confirmed out to 300.

I later took this optic off the Noveske and put it on a 20" Tikka CTR .308 and recalculated for a 168gr Hornady A-MAX bullet in Strelok, something you could not do with the JM-1.

Name:  IMG_6751.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  24.9 KB

Pros and cons. A BDC can be faster than a mil reticle. But only if your load matches.

If you shoot moving targets, especially if there is wind, the JM reticle is going to suck. Hard.

Clutter shouldn’t be an issue if you have daylight bright illumination.

My favorite for carbine is a hybrid reticle like the CMR-W in the Mk 6.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Below pic is the VMR-2 MRAD reticle dope in Strelok Pro for my 16" Noveske with Razor Gen II-E using 55gr M193. Basically, the same barrel length and bullet weight the JM-1 is set up for. Rifle is zeroed at 100, target shown at 200 (a 2.57" holdover), and mil hash marks are 294, 395, 536, and 590. I'm not seeing what the JM-1 would do here that the VMR-2 MRAD doesn't. This is at my average temp and altitude in Florida, basically 78 degrees and 75ft elevation. The JM-1 could easily be off 6, 5, 36, and 10 at my altitude at those respective distances as well. I've confirmed out to 300.

I later took this optic off the Noveske and put it on a 20" Tikka CTR .308 and recalculated for a 168gr Hornady A-MAX bullet in Strelok, something you could not do with the JM-1.

Name:  IMG_6751.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  24.9 KB

It's personal preference, the JM-1 is mainly for shooting IPSC torso style steel or objects shaped like that at speed to realistic AR type distances while the MRAD and MOA based reticles are going to be more precise in your example.
    For a LPVO I prefer the cleaner JM reticle without the windage hashmarks the way they are arranged. Choices are good.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Thank you everyone! Based on the comments here, it’s sounding like the JM is probably the best bet for my application. Unfortunately since someone made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, it looks like I’ll be picking up a Razor with the MRAD reticle, lol

Anyway, since I’m not storming the Beaches of Normandy or hitting the 3-gun nationals I think I’ll be ok learning to work in MILS. The deal is smokin’ hot enough that I may as well give it a whirl. Thanks again.

User Tag List