The pain in my hip will take a few days to subside and there's a new pain in my left knee that I hadn't experienced before, such are the payoffs for taxing them so heavily at my age. However, I've never had so much fun inflicting such ailments on my aging body. I saw many folks crossing the finish line at the WesTex RnG near the point of exhaustion only to proclaim a few minutes later that they'd never had so much fun! I don't think there's another shooting discipline where participants push themselves to their physical limits while at the same time declaring to whoever will listen the joy of the journey that took them there.

As of this point, I've participated in over 20 Run n' Guns, pushing myself to near my limits as I strive to compete against myself, trying to achieve some as yet defined standard. For those of you wish to tax yourself, the WesTex RnG will do just that. Bruce Davis and his crew put on a very challenging event. A combination of an extremely challenging trail and stages that will tax even the best athletes and marksman, the WesTex is one of the most formidable challenges you'll face in Run n' Gun.

While many match directors make use of manmade obstacles to harshen the trail, Bruce has mapped out a tough trail through cactus and rock laden Southwest Texas high desert country. The steep rock climb about 1/3 of the way into the trail drains the competitor making the next few long range stages even more challenging. With rifle targets to 500 yards, pistol targets to 50 yards and targets at extreme angles, the WesTex will humble even the best riflemen (or ladies).

WesTex has become one of my favorite events and obviously one of the best in the Country. This event had over 110 of the best athletes and marksman I've seen making my 9th place finish all the more sweeter. As our sport progresses, the caliber of athletes and marksman continues to impress me; and I see more and more youth attending. Veterans of RnG should do more to help recruit more youngsters into our sport.

If you have a bucket list for RnG's this one needs to be on your list. The Prude ranch staff really make this a very enjoyable event. Participants can stay right on the ranch in a bunkhouse, or stay in one of the smaller, and more private cabins. As part of the entry fee, you'll be treated to a very good steak dinner on Saturday evening, which cumulates in the award ceremony. I can't thank Bruce and his staff enough, any of you who have worked at an event, or directed one, know how much work goes into putting one of these on. Bruce and his group of RO's make this one of the best run events I've attended.

Thanks also goes to KNS Precision as Gordon Gipson and his staff worked very hard at this event helping with set up and acting as RO's. KNS also provided some nice prizes as well.

A personal thanks goes to Matt Helm for donating a knife to give away as well. As luck would have it, I won the knife!!! I've been craving a Matt Helm knife since he started making them and fate looked kindly on me as my ticket was drawn from the bucket.

My buddy, Levi Krutzfeldt, placed 4th at this event and John Turk won! (John coming off his impressive performance at the Oklahoma Run n' Gun). Bruce gives out a trophy for the top 4 man team at WesTex. John, Levi, Dan Kaufman and I formed up a team and when you have the 1st, 4th, 9th and some place way down the list placers, you have a pretty good team. We ended up winning the team event (although I'm not sure how many teams were entered).

I can't wait to get up a bigger group of Okies and head down there next year!

Name:  20200201_171025_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 375
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  20200201_203756[1].jpg
Views: 310
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  20200201_100213[1].jpg
Views: 347
Size:  46.2 KB