Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK banning internal combustion engines (ICE) in 2035

UK banning internal combustion engines (ICE) in 2035

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32084/...ngines-to-2035

The internal combustion engine's remaining days are getting cut shorter as the United Kingdom’s government has announced a ban on the sale of ICE cars starting in 2035, five years earlier than previously planned. Come 2035, it will be illegal for automakers to sell new gas, diesel, and even hybrid-powered cars in the Kingdom, reports Reuters. If it's got an engine that runs on fossil fuels, it's out.
    #RESIST

Not surprised at all. Another 5-years they will be talking about not allowing ICE vehicles to be registered for road use, either.

Site Supporter
    That means that they will invade Northern Ireland to confiscate lawn mowers and outboard motors and model airplane engines.

Considering the size of the UK I could see electrics as very viable. Not as much in central Texas.

Site Supporter
    One thing that kinda freaks me out about the ultimately inevitable changeover to non petrol based transportation is what the loss of jobs that support that infrastructure. Gas stations, oil change shops, and a lot of local mechanics going out of business. Plus,everybody who is involved in the production and distribution of gasoline will take a hit.

I don’t see right now the economy of electric vehicles replacing those jobs with electric alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Interesting that they said “the Kingdom.” I’m sure that is an accurate forecast of the political situation in 2035, but kinda rude.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Interesting that they said “the Kingdom.” I’m sure that is an accurate forecast of the political situation in 2035, but kinda rude.
    Good catch.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Considering the size of the UK I could see electrics as very viable. Not as much in central Texas.
    Yup. They also have a useful public transportation system, unlike us. On my last trip over, I was there for two weeks and didn't need to ride in a car except once. I landed in London (LHR), took another flight up to Glasgow, then a bus to my hotel. I walked everywhere I went in Glasgow. When it came time to travel to Birmingham, I took a train (the station in Glasgow was a block or so from my hotel, the train was quite nice I might add). The hotel in Birmingham was across the street from the train station. While in Birmingham, I walked everywhere, including to my office just down the street. It was in B'ham I rode in a car when my coworker picked me up to go to a restaurant on the outskirts of town. We probably could have found public transpo, but he likes to drive. When it came time to head to London for an overnight stay before catching my flight home, it was the train again, then the Underground to get me to the hotel's area. While in London that night, I used the Underground to get around. I took the train to Heathrow the next morning.

That's pretty much how it works on all my trips over there. Traveling equivalent distances between major cities in the US (or just the mid Atlantic) would have not been so straightforward. I can see them getting away with battery powered cars like a Volt, Tesla, Leaf, etc because even at the extremes they don't drive as far as we do.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 02-05-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Relevant. Watch it about 2 weeks ago and thought, interesting.
    UK better get seriously cracking on ubiquitous and universal rapid charging stations first though.
    I've long said, if you want to make people less gasholes, you need to make sure the "pains" of owning electric are no worse than liquid fuels. Hell I'd take a 100 mile electric range vehicle to the in-laws in pittsburgh, if you can guarantee me the ability to 100% recharge in 10 minutes at a stop. That's just enough to pee, get a drink and snack, chinese fire drill, and get back on the road.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    One thing that kinda freaks me out about the ultimately inevitable changeover to non petrol based transportation is what the loss of jobs that support that infrastructure. Gas stations, oil change shops, and a lot of local mechanics going out of business. Plus,everybody who is involved in the production and distribution of gasoline will take a hit.

I don’t see right now the economy of electric vehicles replacing those jobs with electric alternatives.
    All of those will have applicability in a non-ICE world. Gas stations will become rapid/emergency charging stations. You'll still need mechanics to work on your car. I'm sure there's some lubricants (drivetrain) in an electric vehicle. Gasoline production will likely be the biggest victim, but because we still use petrochemicals for flight, shipping, rail, etc, they will just shift production to non-gasoline products. Petro companies are also involved in renewable energy, so they'll shift resources internally to renewables as well. It'll be disruptive at first no doubt.

Chris

User Tag List