Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First AIWB Holster

Thanks all for the replies, all really helpful input! To get a feel for how I might like AIWB I took one of my current holsters for my G43 and moved the clip to different holes for a straight drop and tried that AIWB. I didn't find this very comfortable at all, definitely worse sitting than standing. Sitting the muzzle pressed into top of leg and back of slide into stomach/bottom rib. If I pulled holster up a bit as sitting down and didn't lean forward much it wasn't so bad. Standing wasn't great, but I guess tolerable. Grip stuck out obviously since nothing pulling it in, but was more interested in getting a feel for comfort.

Do you all think this holster can give me a decent idea whether I'd like AIWB? Or is this not even comparable to comfort of a purpose build AIWB holster? Based on finding this not very comfortable, any thoughts on options/features of an AIWB holster I should look for that would be better for me? Thanks

That ain't an appendix holster.

I've seen quite a number of IWB/AIWB holsters with plastic and metal clips (not DCC) pop off the belt during the draw. There's a reason why people like Craig Douglas prefer fixed loop attachments and not plastic clips. The DCC changes the paradigm about clips. Easy off is not a positive design attribute for a holster attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    ...Do you all think this holster can give me a decent idea whether I'd like AIWB? Or is this not even comparable to comfort of a purpose build AIWB holster?...
    For me, I tried using a few different IWB holsters that their makers touted as AIWB... No luck! But as soon as I tried a couple of actual AIWB holsters with an AIWB specific belt, I found holsters that are beginning to work for me. YMMV, but AIWB (at least for me) is an acquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    Thanks all for the replies, all really helpful input! To get a feel for how I might like AIWB I took one of my current holsters for my G43 and moved the clip to different holes for a straight drop and tried that AIWB. I didn't find this very comfortable at all, definitely worse sitting than standing. Sitting the muzzle pressed into top of leg and back of slide into stomach/bottom rib. If I pulled holster up a bit as sitting down and didn't lean forward much it wasn't so bad. Standing wasn't great, but I guess tolerable. Grip stuck out obviously since nothing pulling it in, but was more interested in getting a feel for comfort.

Do you all think this holster can give me a decent idea whether I'd like AIWB? Or is this not even comparable to comfort of a purpose build AIWB holster? Based on finding this not very comfortable, any thoughts on options/features of an AIWB holster I should look for that would be better for me? Thanks

I have a better idea... Karma Time! We are a community, here.

I have what I reasonably believe to be a JMCK George, for the elongated-slide variant of the G43, whatever that pistol model is called. I acquired it as part of a batch of pre-owned Kydex gear. I wanted the JMCK mag pouch, from that batch of stuff, which I use for a 1911 mag. I have not yet bought a bought a slim-line 9mm Glock, and if I ever do, I probably never will carry it right-handed, as my right wrist has aged-out of shooting small-gripped 9mm pistols right-handed.

My G42 fits just a bit loosely. It will not allow a G19 to be inserted.

PM an address, if you are interested.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I have a better idea... Karma Time! We are a community, here.

I have what I reasonably believe to be a JMCK George, for the elongated-slide variant of the G43, whatever that pistol model is called. I acquired it as part of a batch of pre-owned Kydex gear. I wanted the JMCK mag pouch, from that batch of stuff, which I use for a 1911 mag. I have not yet bought a bought a slim-line 9mm Glock, and if I ever do, I probably never will carry it right-handed, as my right wrist has aged-out of shooting small-gripped 9mm pistols right-handed.

My G42 fits just a bit loosely. It will not allow a G19 to be inserted.

PM an address, if you are interested.
    Wow, thank you very much for that generous offer! Unfortunately I'm a lefty , but I really appreciate the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    For me, I tried using a few different IWB holsters that their makers touted as AIWB... No luck! But as soon as I tried a couple of actual AIWB holsters with an AIWB specific belt, I found holsters that are beginning to work for me. YMMV, but AIWB (at least for me) is an acquired taste.
    That's good to know a real AIWB will likely be better. I definitely plan on giving AIWB a try and seeing if I can make it work for me.

What makes an AIWB specific belt better besides a low profile buckle? Are there any that don't use Velcro? I currently use a Nexbelt and like the adjustability of the ratchet.

Just placed an order for the JMCK Wing Claw 2.0. Interested to see how I like it!

Site Supporter
    Holster shopping lists are varied, based on user needs. Comfort and.concealability can be very subjective.

Fortunately the free market provides wide and varied solutions and the secondary market makes holsters fairly easy to get rid of with a sometimes surprising ability to recomp costs.

pat

For a gun that conceals as easily as the 43, you may prefer the simplicity of the George.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have carried appendix for 20ish years. I only started using a holster (full time) about 2-3 years ago. I had tried a couple, a long the way, didn't like any of them. I'm not just talking Kydex or IWB, I tried A LOT of different holsters and then carried without one for well over a decade.

I do not think there is any such thing as a truly comfortable Kydex AIWB. The closest thing I have found is Vedder Light Tuck (about to get my third). It is the only Kydex IWB I have literally forgot I was wearing. Don't misunderstand - putting my boots on SUCKS but long car rides do not..... the way they did with other brands. The holster allows for a full grip, sits high enough to minimize bbl stab, low enough to prevent waist line roll over, they're just "right"

Like I said - I have two, I wear a Vedder T-shirt, and I'm about to buy a third.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

User Tag List