Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First AIWB Holster

First AIWB Holster

I normally carry behind hip, but looking to try AIWB. Just went through forum and read a bunch of threads on holster options. I'm leaning towards the JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 or Tenicor Velo. This will be for a Glock 43, but I'm thinking a G48 length will be more comfortable?

For the Wing Claw 2.0, how are the plastic clips compared to the discreet carry clips? I want something that's easy on/off while in a car as I can't carry at work, the plastic clips look maybe better for that?

And how necessary is a muzzle pad? Is it really uncomfortable without one? I'd like to minimize bulk, but also want it to be comfortable obviously.

The Velo looks interesting, but not sure how I'd like that body contour bulge.

Also, can both these holsters be adjusted high enough to get a full grip on gun while holstered? I hate holsters that ride so low you can't wrap fingers around grip while in holster.

Thanks!

Your body weight, shape, type, and size will dictate a lot of the answers to your questions.

As for clips, I much prefer plastic to metal.

Yank... the JMCK 2.0 is a good/safe call. I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago for my 43X. I ordered for a 48 (partly on the theory that I may run a comp at some point). You would probably be fine with either set of clips. The DC clips are bit more of a pain to release, but not terrible once you learn how to hold your mouth. I think you will want the muzzle pad - both for comfort and concealment. Tony at JMCK is a shooter and gets the grip / ride height thing. I’m the same way wanting grips to ride high enough. I know exactly what you are saying. You should be good to go.

All that said, if you go the VELO route, you would *probably* be fine. (I think Tenicor has a money back guarantee.). But it is a newer design and somewhat less common. To me, the VELO is more suited for a big gun. The 43X isn’t hard to hide or carry so the more straightforward design of the JMCK WingClaw seems more appropriate - to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    I normally carry behind hip, but looking to try AIWB. Just went through forum and read a bunch of threads on holster options. I'm leaning towards the JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 or Tenicor Velo. This will be for a Glock 43, but I'm thinking a G48 length will be more comfortable?

For the Wing Claw 2.0, how are the plastic clips compared to the discreet carry clips? I want something that's easy on/off while in a car as I can't carry at work, the plastic clips look maybe better for that?

And how necessary is a muzzle pad? Is it really uncomfortable without one? I'd like to minimize bulk, but also want it to be comfortable obviously.

The Velo looks interesting, but not sure how I'd like that body contour bulge.

Also, can both these holsters be adjusted high enough to get a full grip on gun while holstered? I hate holsters that ride so low you can't wrap fingers around grip while in holster.

Thanks!
    You can definitely get a full grip using the JMCK. I'm not sure about on/off while seated in a car, or what it would look like you're doing, but I carry a full size pistol. I really didn't expect to like AIWB, but at this point I'd hate to have to go back to strong side IWB.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

As I've posted a few times, I've been carrying a pistol almost exclusively for many years OWB, either off duty, duty or plainclothes. But, lately I've decided to "try" AIWB. In doing so, I have had very good experiences with the VELO (G43X and P365) and the Raven EIDOLON with the claw and wedge (G19/G45). I do believe AIWB is an "acquired taste" and it varies from person to person, body shape and build, as far as how well you can adapt to this mode of carry.

And +1 on you being concerned about getting a full fighting grip on the pistol while holstered! It drives me nuts when I see so many AIWB holsters advertised with pictures that show the gun low on the belt line, touting maximum concealment... At the cost of not being able to get a good positive grip for a safe and efficient draw stroke. I find both the Tenicor and Raven are very adjustable and afford me a full grip on the gun.

The plastic clips on the Raven work fine, as do the metal clips on the Tenicor, but bear in mind, part of the formula is an efficient and well designed gun belt- I use the
    V Development Group MEGINGJÖRÐ AIWB specific belt version 3.0- works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Your body weight, shape, type, and size will dictate a lot of the answers to your questions.

As for clips, I much prefer plastic to metal.
    Thanks everyone for replies so far! Good call, should have mentioned that. I'm 5'7", 150lbs, not skinny, but fairly thin.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    I find the metal clips a PITA to remove and less so to don the holster with gun holstered. I prefer plastic as they are secure enough, and I can get the holster off without drama when I want to.

Body type makes such a big difference, especially with appendix, that recommendations are not gonna be absolute.

I'm 5' 7", 140. Very little fat. Long waisted.

If I pull my pants up to what is described as the waist, 1) I have a huge wedgie and a moose knuckle, and 2) when I let go of 'em, they immediately fall back down to where they normally ride.

Appendix carry is difficult for me from a comfort and concealment perspective.

If I carry in an AIWB holster I can comfortably walk around, but sitting is uncomfortable, bending over is painful, I have to remove the holster tie shoes. I have to carry closer to centerline to able to move my legs, but now the other things that occupy the space behind the zipper are all crowded together with the muzzle of a gun. It really doesn't work, holster design and gun size don't matter. G43 or 17 are about the same. I do regularly carry AIWB with a Raven Vanguard, but it's more for just short stints like hitting the ATM or filling up with gas.

IWB at 3-4:00? Fine. I've carried a 17/17K and 5" 1911 for over a decade. Being smaller, I need more cant to stay off the sciatic nerve, but other than that, it's pretty easy.

For easy on-off, I'd recommend the JMCK Wing-Claw 2.5 with wide-set soft pull-the-dot loops over the Wing-Claw 2.0.

The discreet carry clips are definitely not as easy on-off as the loops. (I keep trying them though, on different holsters.)

The Tenicor VELO gen 4 is a very good option too, with the same loops.

The muzzle pad adds comfort, but its primary purpose is to push the muzzle forward, thereby bringing the rear of the pistol into the body, with resultant improved concealment. The "body curve" protrusion on the VELO accomplishes the same thing, but without a closed cell foam pad.

I find the JMCK Wing-Claw 2.5 and Tenicor VELO gen 4 to be equally comfortable, carrying a G26.
    Both are excellent rigs. As with all CCW holster choices, there's unfortunately no substitute for actually trying the holsters yourself.

Both holsters permit height adjustment, the VELO offering a bit more "fine tuning" due to the hole-spacing being shorter, and with 3 height-choice options rather than 2 on the Wing-Claw 2.5.

In practice, the lowest-set carry option of the 3 VELO settings did not provide adequate clearance for a full master grip, but the middle hole option did, while even the lower height setting (upper hole) for the Wing-Claw 2.5 did do so.

After practicing CCW for over 30 years with behind-the-hip IWB, I find AIWB carry to be definitely more comfortable and faster, with the requirement for a front cover garment being the only potential downside.

(A purposeful belt is important, of course, as others noted. Mine are all of Mastermind and Graith manufacture, adjusted to a fairly tight fit. Not having an overly-protuberant abdomen definitely helps with AIWB carry concealability and comfort. )
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

The holsters you mentioned are the two I use almost all the time. The Velo allows for carrying a little closer to the hip crease (~1:30 to 2:00) than the JMCK 2.0 by a little bit. The 2.0 allows for carrying between 12:30 and 1:30 better than the Velo.

The body contour on the Velo works and isn't uncomfortable unless you try to carry too close to mid-line. The pad on the 2.0 also works and is pretty durable.

As for clips, I won't use plastic clips of any kind. It's either the DCC clips or PTD loops. The loops are super-easy but don't conceal as well as the DCCs but unless you're wearing a skin-tight cover, they conceal fine. The DCCs conceal best but there's a definite learning curve to getting them on and off without breaking fingernails (even short manly ones). The DCCs are indestructible and the holster will explode into a thousand tiny pieces in a fight before the DCCs will fail.

For me, it comes down to the cover I'm wearing and also the belt loop position on the pants. You can't go wrong with either, and at some point you may want both.

User Tag List