Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Criminal Weapon Selection

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    If I were king, I would re-orient ATFE to focus their firearms efforts almost exclusively on firearms theft. Finding thieves, busting criminals with stolen guns, and recovering guns for their rightful owners. I'm not a gambler, but I would place big bets on the differences in crimes with guns that could be accomplished.
    Gun store break-ins are a priority for them.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Driving a vehicle through a store front seemed to be a popular tactic for a bit. I remember reading about a few instances in my corner of the state in the last few years.
    It wreaked havoc on northern California gun shops a few years back. Some cities required shops to install vehicle barriers, which caused at least 1 shop to close because the landlord wouldn't approve the pillars. Another city fined a gun shop for installing barriers the city found unsightly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    If I were king, I would re-orient ATFE to focus their firearms efforts almost exclusively on firearms theft. Finding thieves, busting criminals with stolen guns, and recovering guns for their rightful owners. I'm not a gambler, but I would place big bets on the differences in crimes with guns that could be accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This ^^ plus in my experience 1/3 to 1/2 of all guns recovered from prohibited persons are stolen. In my area,"car guns" are a thing and most are stolen from vehicles. Many of the others are straw purchases and an increasing amount of guns built off 80% lowers specifically for resale to prohibited persons.

A related issue is during follow up investigations we have found many recovered guns are, in fact stolen, but are not in the system or don't return as stolen. Reasons include: they weren't reported stolen to the police due to legal issues (stolen from a prohibited person), the owner not having the serial number, the wrong serial number being entered (SKU numbers off gun boxes etc) or the records dropping out of the system because the reporting agency could not reach the reporting party to confirm the gun is still outstanding for the annual re-validation of the record.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Driving a vehicle through a store front seemed to be a popular tactic for a bit.
    It's still a thing down here. Last one was a couple weeks ago and was the second time that particular store had been hit that way. Eight thieves, aged 13-24, used a U-Haul. Fortunately they were seen and 7/8 were captured immediately. AFAIK all but one gun was recovered. I presume they wanted ARs because they went straight for long guns, but ended up taking anything on the rack.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's still a thing down here.... I presume they wanted ARs because they went straight for long guns, but ended up taking anything on the rack.
    Between your post and BB's it sorta kills the "not in common use" argument by the anti-gun people regarding ARs.

Site Supporter
    That's a double edged sword. If as HCM stated the 'pistols' are preferred and the longer versions are showing up, there goes the mantra that long arms (and 'pistols') are rare causes of injuries or death, as thus shouldn't be banned. True, handguns are orders of magnitude more common but since there are absolute numbers of significant usage - the ratio argument is vitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yes, a gun store burglary to the ATF is the equivalent of a bank robbery to the FBI.

The results from the study I think should be taken with a grain of salt as they may not be accurate for all regions outside of Chicago (midwest).

I work gangs in a large West Coast metropolitan city and find that out of dozens of firearms recovered each year just in my division, the majority are pocket revolvers or cheap semi-autos such hi-points or S&W SDVE with a small sprinking of 80% framed Glocks. Thing is that 99% of scumbags don't use holsters so they are going to pack whatever they can tuck into their waistband that they can hold onto while they are running. I think there have been only a handful of times I have checked out a seized firearm and thought to myself "that's a nice piece".

Less than 5 total rifles or shotguns were recovered by the unit.

Banned
    There is a thread on THR in which a member who is a Louisiana cop is keeping a running tally of what types of guns his department is actually confiscating from criminals. Occasionally he posts photos of particularly interesting guns. He says that his department's policy is to destroy all crime guns once the case is closed. He also stated he doesn't agree with it but it's not his call. He says that department policy is to wire the guns together in bales and drop them into the ocean.

ETA: He has also noted that a large percentage of the guns confiscated can be traced back to vehicle burglaries

I am surprised there aren't more .22s on the list, but I guess bad guys like bigger calibers too.

I think this list kinda puts suspicion on the idea that "cheap guns" are for criminals. You'd think "ring of fire" guns would still be big. Most are probably bought for self-defense.

I wonder how many RG .22s got snagged in their heyday?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List