Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bloomberg Says He Wants To Ban Guns Holding More Than 3 Rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Change the damn immigration laws. They're just using US immigration code to get into the country.

Blame congress, not "asylum seekers".

If you give out 100 dollar bills on the street how many people are going to say no thanks?
    Not to go too far off on a tangent, but I think, at least in part, there have been some recent changes that have reduced the amount of people playing the asylum card. I couldn't give you any sort of hard numbers, but I know there has been a significant decline since the whole "remain in mexico" policy went into effect. I would also say that the courts seem to have been as much of an obstacle as congress lately. Just about every major immigration change taken through executive order over the last few years has seen major legal opposition and quite a few policies have seen nationwide injunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    All I can think of is this: You don’t always get what you want.
    Wait... that statement implies that you sometimes do.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Gun control is 4 or 5 on the list of priority issues for voters. The election will be decided on economic, immigration and healthcare issues.
    Well then, sending a check to gun rights organizations for their electoral program is a waste of time? Even small margins may be important. Recall Trump won only because of a small number of voters in 3 states.

Also, the core issues for a major part of Trump's base is abortion, sexual orientation - that is more important to them than economics issues and health care.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Wait... that statement implies that you sometimes do.
    Hope in one hand...

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Not to go too far off on a tangent, but I think, at least in part, there have been some recent changes that have reduced the amount of people playing the asylum card. I couldn't give you any sort of hard numbers, but I know there has been a significant decline since the whole "remain in mexico" policy went into effect. I would also say that the courts seem to have been as much of an obstacle as congress lately. Just about every major immigration change taken through executive order over the last few years has seen major legal opposition and quite a few policies have seen nationwide injunctions.
    My understanding is this. Once you're on US soil you have legal options.

(1)In general
    Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

That's US code right there. If you have enough money to hire an attorney you have a hearing before you get deported. Some immigration attorneys work pro bono.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Well then, sending a check to gun rights organizations for their electoral program is a waste of time? Even small margins may be important. Recall Trump won only because of a small number of voters in 3 states.

Also, the core issues for a major part of Trump's base is abortion, sexual orientation - that is more important to them than economics issues and health care.
    To begin, Trump's base isn't a majority.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=rrpromo

Trump won because of the electoral college, not the popular vote. The popular vote was the majority.

Send whatever you want to gun rights organizations. They won't be a decisive factor in the 2020 election. The NRA doesn't have 20 million to donate to Trump's campaign again.

Site Supporter
    That's US code right there. If you have enough money to hire an attorney you have a hearing before you get deported. Some immigration attorneys work pro bono.
    I just witnessed such a hearing the other day. It painted a bleak picture of Cuba, unsurprisingly.

Site Supporter
    Didn't say Trump's base was a majority. I said a major part of his base. That's different. He won the electoral college because of small margins in three states. I was speculating with small margins, what are the important issues that might swing small sets of voters?

Here's an interesting article that discusses a similar view that mobilizing turnout of folks pissed off at the incombent group: https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...-theory-108944

So Jill Stein voters may have sunk Hlllary. Did progun Democrats hold their nose at Trump and switch to him? I don't know. Is he so horrible that they will hold their nose in the other direction. Bloomberg is hair on fire on banning guns. Bernie, Pete - they say it - but probably won't go for it with zeal. Chose them over Trump?

In any case, if gun issues don't have a large effect on the masses, do small numbers in tight marginal electoral regions become important?

Otherwise, we will see a continued erosion of gun rights on the state levels for sure and maybe federally. Certainly, the GOP has no national interest beyond the 'protecting' bait and switch cliche. Waiting for the Wonder Twins to carry SCOTUS to void state bans - fat chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Didn't say Trump's base was a majority. I said a major part of his base. That's different. He won the electoral college because of small margins in three states. I was speculating with small margins, what are the important issues that might swing small sets of voters?

Here's an interesting article that discusses a similar view that mobilizing turnout of folks pissed off at the incombent group: https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...-theory-108944

So Jill Stein voters may have sunk Hlllary. Did progun Democrats hold their nose at Trump and switch to him? I don't know. Is he so horrible that they will hold their nose in the other direction. Bloomberg is hair on fire on banning guns. Bernie, Pete - they say it - but probably won't go for it with zeal. Chose them over Trump?

In any case, if gun issues don't have a large effect on the masses, do small numbers in tight marginal electoral regions become important?

Otherwise, we will see a continued erosion of gun rights on the state levels for sure and maybe federally. Certainly, the GOP has no national interest beyond the 'protecting' bait and switch cliche. Waiting for the Wonder Twins to carry SCOTUS to void state bans - fat chance.
    Sorry, misread your post. my apologies. Good article.

This seems plausible because I fell into that group.

The reason Trump won in 2016 was not, she says, because of a bunch of disaffected blue-collar former Democrats in the Midwest; it is because a combination of Jill Stein, Gary Johnson and Evan McMullin pulled away more than 6 percent of voters in a state like Michigan. These were anti-Hillary voters, yes—but they were anti-Trump voters especially, and they are likely to come to the Democratic fold this time around if they’re given a reason.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-06-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    No problem. Now, I never have misread anything - haha. Just screwed up an online tax form - bah.

User Tag List