Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: air travel gear

Site Supporter

air travel gear

What are some air travel items that are indispensable to you?

For me, it's the following:

1. TSA PreCheck - worth it when the security line is backed up.
    2. Wilderness Frequent Flier Belt - Any non-metallic belt, but I like this one.
    3. A hat or hoodie - I hate letting my bare head touch airplane headrests.
    4. Shirt with chest pocket(s) - it's a pain dealing with pants pockets when sitting on a plane. Any things that are in my pockets get transferred to this temporarily. Boarding pass, phone, earbuds.
    5. Long pants and long-sleeve shirt - See #3 for my personal phobias.
    6. Apple Airpods Pro - Just got mine before my last trip and they are a game changer to someone who has used traditional, wired, non-noise cancelling earbuds/headphones for years. The ability to switch between noise cancellation and "hear-through" mode with a simple long press is so convenient.
    7. Anker Powercore Fusion - combination USB charger and power bank. I used to carry two Apple USB wall warts and a backup battery. This replaces them all. I only wish it supported USB-C fast charging.

A pen, especially for international travel (filling out forms)

A Sharpie

My EDC flashlight (for looking under seats for dropped stuff)

A book

An eye mask (especially for international flights - some people won't turn off their damn screens when it's time to sleep)

Also found this article interesting:
    https://www.theorganicprepper.com/travel-survival-kit
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Mine, after a couple of decades of regular international travel.
    On my body:
    -Comfortable long sleeve cotton button up shirt- usually a Colombia style, and comfortable linen pants. I refer to this ensemble as 'travel pajamas'. It's comfortable, light, and dressy.
    -Comfortable slip on shoes. I usually slip them off during the flight
    -wallet sized printed list of contact details, including travel insurance info, hotel address & number, family contact numbers, and other useful info. One is in my wallet, one in my passport.
    -Passport. It stays on my person, never in my luggage

Carry on. I just take one single Swissgear backpack:
    -Small flashlight. I've got one of those tiny keychain Streamlights clipped to the zipper.
    -Extra clothing. A duplicate of my travel outfit in a small zipper bag, extra socks & underwear, and shorts & t-shirt.
    -Pen
    -Travel med kit in a very small ziploc. I get the blister packs, and put in a couple of each- sleeping pills, Imodium, Pepto pills, Ibuprofen, and Benedryl.
    -Disposable single use toothbrushes
    -Lip balm.
    -USB cables and multi-voltage charger
    -hard copies of all my reservations & tickets
    -package of wet wipes
    -sleep mask

The lappy is also in the carry on, inside the special pocket.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have specific clothes I like to wear when flying. A pair of DU/ER khakis, because they're basically sweatpants. There's certain longer-length button ups I like wearing for flying as well, since they don't ride up as easily....I also like the breast pockets for the same reason already mentioned.

I like using my Kore Essentials belt, because it's very easy to effortlessly weave through my belt loops after going through security (TSA Pre-Check doesn't work overseas, ya'll).

I like wearing my Allen Edmonds Chelsea Nomad boots, as they're crazy comfortable and easy to slip on and off. Since they're boots, it's easier to get hold of them to put on in confined spaces like airplane seating. In case my checked luggage gets lost enroute, I can use both the Chelsea boots and Kore belt for wearing my travel suits, one of which will be packed in my carry on (formerly Suit Supply travel suits, now Bluffworks). The DU/ER khakis are comfortable enough for leisure but look just at home with business casual, as well. I'm all about killing two birds with one stone, redundancy, etc.

I use a simple leather satchel as my personal item while my rolling carry on goes above. I don't like using large bags for personal items because it takes up too much foot room under the seat. Inside is my Bose head set case, my Rescue Essentials Ankle IFAK folded up flat, and a Blue Force Gear Ten Speed "Dapper" organizational pouch featuring a cell phone battery bank, wall charger/cable, a little tube of Advil, blister pack of immodium, 1-2 wetwipes, a challenge coin/patch or two, and eyeglass cleaning cloths.

That's pretty much my standard template for flying wherever. Of course, I just finished my last work trip for this tour. Did 3 countries last month, now I start language school next week for my next tour.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-03-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I always fly wearing my Eddie Bauer travel blazer. It's not the sexiest blazer out there, but it's damned handy. Good sized pockets, inner pockets that will fit the family's passports and zipper closed, it's waterproof and comes with a little tab to close the neck up if you want to turn it into a rain coat, and it's comfy in a variety of temperatures.

These are my standard flight shoe: https://www.bocshoes.com/Product/BOC...hocolate/Color

Very comfortable for all day walking, easy on/easy off.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

My daughter modeling what we wear when we fly:

What do you guys use to carry your passport when travelling internationally? I am going to Africa this coming summer and would like a wallet of some type that I can fit my passport, IDs, some cards and cash but yet fit in my front pant pocket. The neck pouch thing is not comfortable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    What do you guys use to carry your passport when travelling internationally? I am going to Africa this coming summer and would like a wallet of some type that I can fit my passport, IDs, some cards and cash but yet fit in my front pant pocket. The neck pouch thing is not comfortable for me.

https://www.armatuscarry.com/store/p...otes_Case.html

Hard like a holster. But protects it.

Bose QC35

Stiletto Pro

Hand sanitizer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Some Saddleback Leather maybe

https://saddlebackleather.com/leathe...rt-wallet-slim

https://saddlebackleather.com/passport-wallet-long
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List