Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recoil Control/Management...

That's basically what TGS was having me do this weekend. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Have you tried doing something like a Bill Drill with a Ball and Dummy mag? Most people time the gun subconsciously and don't even realize that they are doing it. You have to provide some "push" in order to get the gun on target no matter how hard you grip the gun. If the gun lifts at all in recoil, gripping it harder isn't going to bring it back on target.
    Yes, but next weekend I'll give it a go again.

When I do ball and dummy drills, my idea is to not have any movement of the gun whatsoever when I hit a dummy. Any movement upon pulling the trigger is what I would consider anticipation and is extraneous, deleterious movement to proper shooting technique. Am I incorrect?

A more secure grip won't get the gun on target quicker, but it will reduce the amount the front sight moves from target. This is the purpose of a grip, and proper product of recoil control that I've learned thus far. Is this incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yes, but next weekend I'll give it a go again.

When I do ball and dummy drills, my idea is to not have any movement of the gun whatsoever when I hit a dummy. Any movement upon pulling the trigger is what I would consider anticipation and is extraneous, deleterious movement to proper shooting technique. Am I incorrect?

A more secure grip won't get the gun on target quicker, but it will reduce the amount the front sight moves from target. This is the purpose of a grip, and proper product of recoil control that I've learned thus far. Is this incorrect?
    I agree in that any movement leading up to pulling the trigger is bad. But driving the gun down after the shot is fired I would consider timing the recoil. Are we on the same page here? I don't think I explained things very well in my first post.

Don't take my word for it. Watch the 5th shot in the second string at around :55 in this video. Dave's slide stop breaks and somehow the slide closes on an empty chamber. He drives the gun down after the trigger is pressed. This is an extreme example as he's shooting .40 SHO, but illustrates the effect pretty well I think...

All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A more secure grip won't get the gun on target quicker, but it will reduce the amount the front sight moves from target.
    Correct, but some force has to move the gun back on target after it recoils. The closer in time with ignition this force is applied, the faster the sights will return to the target.

This thread has me completely baffled.

The gun doesn't recoil enough to matter.
    I don't know anything about shooting, so this quote is completely over my head.

Why does IPSC reward major power factor over minor if no gun recoils enough to matter? Totally lost

Interesting thoughts from Dave Re:

http://re-gun.com/2011/04/ball-and-dummy-for-dummies/

'Fighting the recoil' versus 'letting it happen', pre-ignition flinch and post-ignition flinch, timing, idea of the proper use of ball and dummy drills, etc.

Great video DonovanM! I've been researching into this topic recently, mainly on the Enos forum, but I'm glad to see it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    I give up. He explained it perfectly

Like I said, run some mag dumps or Bill Drills as fast as you can with a random dummy round in there... it'll let you know exactly what your body is doing to get the gun back on target.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ummm View Post
    This thread has me completely baffled.

I don't know anything about shooting, so this quote is completely over my head.

Why does IPSC reward major power factor over minor if no gun recoils enough to matter? Totally lost
    If you're just doing, say, a static drill then within reason the recoil doesn't matter much. Case in point, my bill drill times are virtually identical for 9mm and .40, both in the 1.8 second range last I practiced one. I do drive the gun harder in .40 as Donovan mentioned above.

Where higher power factor really makes a difference is in all of the off balance stuff and shooting on the move that you have to do in the practical shooting sports. If you're not squared up behind the gun the higher PF ammo will push you around more, and that will effect your speed and accuracy.

Post ignition push is something Cooper described, and is the only concept that I originally heard from Cooper with which Rogers takes direct issue in his book. Haven't gotten to that part in Enos' book yet. I need to go re-read Rogers' thoughts on the matter, but I recall that he was adamant.
    Ignore Alien Orders

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    But driving the gun down after the shot is fired I would consider timing the recoil.
    We may be saying the same thing in different ways, but I don't like the way you're describing it. To me, "timing" the recoil implies a conscious act. In my experience, when people try to time it, they become more susceptible to anticipation.

I absolutely agree that it's happening, I just think it happens naturally (or develops naturally) and shouldn't be something people try to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ummm View Post
    Because it was developed by people who thought the .45 was king and the 9mm was for eunuchs. As for the practical difference, just look at the results from the past ten Limited and Single Stack national championships. What percentage of people are shooting Major? When is the last time someone shooting Minor won? The difference in recoil is far less of an impact than the scoring system suggests, thereby giving Major a tremendous advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Post ignition push is something Cooper described, and is the only concept that I originally heard from Cooper with which Rogers takes direct issue in his book. Haven't gotten to that part in Enos' book yet. I need to go re-read Rogers' thoughts on the matter, but I recall that he was adamant.
    If I draw and try to fire an empty gun (that I thought was loaded) or have a misfire during a string of rapid fire, my muzzle will dip every single time. Since I know for a fact that I'm not anticipating every shot -- my groups and general performance make that pretty clear -- it's hard for me to imagine that I'm just coincidentally anticipating each time I get a click instead of bang.

User Tag List